Choose style:

Author Topic: Mobile devices lose 5GH after an hour or so  (Read 16167 times)

Offline weaver3294

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Mobile devices lose 5GH after an hour or so
« on: July 23, 2014, 05:34:08 pm »
Hello all and thanks for your time.

Just setup my A+ and am having an issue where my iPad and my Galaxy Note III will still be connected to the 5Ghz signal but are no longer getting internet, All our laptops stay connected. If I disable and re-enable it will be good to go for about another hour. I checked and it is broadcasting 11ACVHT80 and speeds are fantastic when connected. Please let me know if you all have any ideas for me.

Thank you much.
-Chris

Offline frichter09

• Backer
Re: Mobile devices lose 5GH after an hour or so
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 10:45:25 am »
Exactly same issue on Nexus 4 using 5GHz net.  :o

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:58:04 am »
Have you tried doing a hardware reset? http://wiki.securifi.com/index.php?title=Hardware_reset_button_-_Almond%2B_2014

I know, I know, it's the standard support answer, but in this case we found an issue with some units and a reset fixes it in many cases, but not all.

Offline pitchdarkice

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 01:18:44 pm »
Have you tried doing a hardware reset? http://wiki.securifi.com/index.php?title=Hardware_reset_button_-_Almond%2B_2014

I know, I know, it's the standard support answer, but in this case we found an issue with some units and a reset fixes it in many cases, but not all.

I have similar issues on my tablet and likely my phone on 5Ghz.  The connection status says it's connected on the devices and indicators show traffic back and forth, but nothing is happening.  Once I disconnect adn reconnect, it works again.  I have already done a hard reset.

I've switched to 2.4Ghz and will see tonight if I experience similar issues. 

Offline frichter09

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:29:25 pm »
Lars, a hardware reset did not fix this.

Offline weaver3294

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 09:31:26 pm »
Thank you all for the replies. A hardware reset did not solve the issue. Thank you again.
-Chris

Offline RGloverii

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 08:19:31 pm »
The same thing has been happening to me.  On all iOS devices.  Also having connectivity issues with my MacBook Air on 5GHz. 

Thought it was just me.  Very frustrating.  I have been considering moving back to my original access point due to the lack of consistent connection.

LGNilsson

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 10:09:33 pm »
We're working on a fix for this and we've seen some good improvements with the new Wi-Fi driver that we're including in the next firmware update.

Offline robh5791

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 10:20:02 pm »
I have been having an issue with the 5 ghz band on my iPhone 5S where it drops the 5 ghz connection for the 2.4 ghz connection if they are both saved on the phone. A fix I found that can help at least reconnect to the 5 ghz band is to forget the 2.4 ghz network and the 5 ghz network should reconnect. I have not had internet issues on either band but the auto switch by the phone could be because the 5 ghz connection was no longer functioning properly so it switches to the 2.4 ghz band.

Offline weaver3294

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 08:35:05 am »
We're working on a fix for this and we've seen some good improvements with the new Wi-Fi driver that we're including in the next firmware update.
Looking forward to a fix, thank you Lars.
-Chris

Offline RGloverii

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 09:21:29 pm »
The thing is, if this was a KNOWN issue, why was it not disclosed in advance? 

I understand that this is a brand new product, and that we are essentially all beta testing it, but we need a detailed listing of ALL current issues.  Otherwise, we are all going to be independently tearing our networks apart trying to figure out why X isn't working properly any more.  In my case, I am in Apple's dev program, and have iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 on my machines.  I thought the issue was with Apple.  Come to find out it's my brand new router (that I waited over a year for). 

So, to reiterate, just as a simple request:  Post a detailed listing of all currently known issues, so that we all don't have to bang our heads against the wall needlessly.  YES, I know about the "known issues" forum posting, but that is extremely sparse, and doesn't seem to have been updated since July 22nd.

Thanks.  I look forward to the Almond + growing into a mature product, and hopefully I will be able to recommend it to my colleagues.  In its current form, I am quite frustrated, to be honest.

LGNilsson

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 12:58:26 am »
It wasn't a known issue, as we haven't seen this problem during our testing.
I will add it to the known issues document though, it simply slipped my mind.

Are you saying you got problem with your OS X devices too?

The issues list is about as detailed as I can make it, since it's impossible for me to know all the issues. A fair few new ones have cropped up, but a few have turned out to not be real issues and they were solved.

We're working hard on getting the new firmware out which seems to be solving a lot of the Wi-Fi related problems, but not all.
Keep in mind that as far as the Wi-Fi driver goes, we don't have full control over it and we're chasing QCA to address these issues.
I'm not trying to put the blame on someone else, but we only received the new Wi-Fi driver after we'd shipped the first 1k units and it takes some time for our software team to integrate it and make sure we're not having more issues. We're doing our very best to get these problems resolved as quickly as possible, as we know how frustrating it is to have a poorly working router.

Offline RGloverii

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 08:16:11 pm »
Hello Lara,

Thank you for responding.  Sorry if my previous message appeared brash; it was not intentional.

To answer your questions regarding OS X, yes, I have been experiencing interment issues with connectivity to the 5GHz AC.  Lack of proper throughput, poor range, occasional inability to reconnect to the router, et cetera.  Again, I am running OS X 10.10, so some of the issues could be related to the Mac beta, but my informal testing seems to indicate that the problems are being caused by the router.

With regards to the Wi-Fi driver and QCA, how confident are you that all outstanding issues 'can and will' be resolved within a reasonable amount of time, and that QCA is committed to ensuring your success?  As you stated, having a poorly working router is 'frustrating', but in my opinion, it would be more accurate to say that having a poorly working router is intolerable. 

I am quite hopeful that the Almond + is a successful and profitable venture for you.  I hope you are able to resolve all of the issues prior to a widespread release of the product.  I would hate to see poor reviews of the product tarnish your reputation.

Thanks again, and good luck.  :)

-Robert

LGNilsson

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 09:58:46 pm »
You calling me a woman now  >:( ;)

We're working on solving these problems as quickly as we can, but as we haven't experienced any of these issues ourselves during our internal tests, we're surprised by so many people having issues and it caught us entirely off guard. We don't have a choice but to solve this problem, one way or another, regardless of what the core issue is.

Offline paulstraker

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 11:17:02 pm »
Hey Lars,

I am also having the same issue with my iPhone 5- 5ghz, Macbook Pro 13'' Retina, OSX  mavericks - 5ghz AC and Windows 8.1 Laptop 2.5ghz.  It just drops the Internet connection every 30 min/1hour gap.

I tried to reset using the hardware reset button and it failed to even reset the device. Yes I pressed and hold the reset button for 10 seconds but nothing worked.

Awaiting your reply.

Thank you for your time.

Paul

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 23 queries.