Choose style:

Author Topic: Current Version of OpenWRT  (Read 10070 times)

Offline matt

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Current Version of OpenWRT
« on: August 12, 2014, 02:19:34 am »
Just got my Almond+, and trying to start adding some missing features. But when I went to update opkg so I could install some packages, I got:

Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/g2/packages/Packages.gz.
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Collected errors:
 * opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/g2/packages/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.

"g2" is the offending portion, but I wanted to be sure I replaced it with the appropriate version for the distribution. So what architecture (and maybe openwrt version as well?) should I be using? Since the /etc/banner is overwritten, I can't tell by looking there. I am running the most current version of the system image.

LGNilsson

Re: Current Version of OpenWRT
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 02:35:50 am »
Currently all the available opkg's for the Almond+ come pre-installed.
So in other words, there aren't any additional packages available for download.
We'll get this sorted out once we've gotten the core features sorted out properly.

Offline matt

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:56:21 am »
That is unfortunate. Is this because the architecture is incompatible with all existing builds? Or is this just a worry about version mismatches and we can (theoretically) proceed at our own risk with a certain (I assume ARM-based) build.

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:57:32 pm »
Most of the opkg's are compiled for MIPS and not ARM, so they're not compatible.
On top of that, the Almond+ is using a Cortex-A9, so it won't be compatible with some other ARM based opkg's using ARM9 or ARM11 for example.
We'll get to this at some point, but don't expect it to happen for a couple of months at least.

Offline jake

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 09:03:08 am »
This might not be the place for it, but on the "someday" wish list, I'd live to see bmon and if top compiled for Almond+ for doing peer bandwidth monitoring.  Definitely not a priority, but since you can't just load it from an opkg, it becomes a feature request. :)

Offline freso

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 11:55:50 am »
Anthing new on this front?

Why are you guys Open WRT 8.x (Kamikaze), which is several years old, when there is 14.x (Barrier breaker)?

LGNilsson

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 03:31:49 am »
Because it's what was supplied by the company that makes the processor we're using.

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 11:42:23 am »
I vaguely remember mention that it was likely to update the kernel to something in the 3.x family... Is that still a work in progress?....

Think that would have to come if they are working out bringing up the version of OpenWRT....

Do remember folks that this is an internet appliance/networking device.. Having a little older versions of software and kernels ... might be a tad bit more stable...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:45:52 am by joltdude »

LGNilsson

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 10:12:48 pm »
They were, but we're not sure about the status as the company was split and sold off and the part we worked with is now part of Realtek, so we're going to have to wait and see what happens.

Offline BFH

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 11:05:24 pm »
I don't know how these companies can distribute these linux kernel binaries without distributing full source. It would seem to be breaking GPL.

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 10:11:50 am »
Quite a few ways to skirt the GPL....Also depends what version of the GPL...and it may not be a GPL license at all but a similar license

Binary blobs for device drivers for instance.. Many devices have two versions of the code... One that is fully GPL, and the other that has proprietary drivers and devices and modifications in it... That said. im hoping that Securifi will be trying/try to get an updated kernel and a bit more current OpenWRT stable release of OpenWRT, kernel,  and perhaps a facelift to the web interface.  Not necessarily in that order. or have a way to compile/install a current OpenWRT and perhaps some blobs, or have an newer open version without the hardware acceleration.. Even though they originally skipped Realtek.. I still think there might be a bit of obligation on Realteks hands as a customer... And for the most part, Realteks tends to be a bit more open source friendly.... so it could actually help in someways...

Im staying tuned to see how this evolves..

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 10:18:36 am »
As an alternative, ever think of considering entware, which comes in both MIPS and ARM flavors....

https://github.com/Entware/entware/  MIPS Flavor
https://github.com/zyxmon/entware-arm ARM Flavor

Think it *might* be compatible with the ARM-7 variant your using..
http://www.arm.com/cortex-a9.php

Not an embedded system, processor expert however..
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:22:16 am by joltdude »

Offline BFH

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 09:41:41 am »
This is really fucked up. I legitimately think that Securifi has grounds to sue for this debacle. We have amazing hardware which is absolutely crippled by poor chipset and wifi driver support, and there is nothing Securifi can do about it because everything important is in closed source blobs. I would think that supplying hardware that is impossible for the client to fully use would be legally actionable.

Any corporate lawyers who can chip in?

Offline freso

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 04:53:14 am »
Because it's what was supplied by the company that makes the processor we're using.
Can you not update it now then? Newer versions of OpenWRT have many packages compiled for ARM.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.