Choose style:

Author Topic: Question about DHCP  (Read 5303 times)

Offline ja3hawk

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Question about DHCP
« on: August 22, 2014, 11:57:58 pm »
Hello All,
I'm trying to understand the DHCP settings on the LAN side a little better. Essentially, I want the Almond+ to act as my router but I need to turn of DHCP since I have a another device acting as a DHCP server.

At this point, I've checked Ignore Setup under the DHCP settings but that doesn't seem to stay checked after reconnecting. The other thing I have done is unchecking dynamic DHCP but I'm not sure that's what I need to because on the main screen of the Almond+ it still reports that the DHCP server is enabled. Is there documentation for A+ somewhere so I can read about all of the settings available? Thanks!

LGNilsson

Re: Question about DHCP
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 12:03:02 am »
Did you update to firmware R065 and then set the Almond+ to AP mode?

Offline ja3hawk

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 12:07:16 am »
I was considering that as a next step... updating to R065 that is. However, I'm not sure I want to necessarily just have it acting as an AP. I still need to the A+ to act as a router, I just don't need it handing out IP addresses on my LAN. Is this possible?

Offline j8048188

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 08:00:53 pm »
The latest firmware contains many stability improvements and bugfixes. I highly recommend that you upgrade.

Offline E1701

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:19:24 pm »
Yes, I also require the ability to use the Almond+ as a router, but disable DHCP. This is standard on practically every consumer router out there.

Offline edank

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 03:00:36 pm »
I was considering that as a next step... updating to R065 that is. However, I'm not sure I want to necessarily just have it acting as an AP. I still need to the A+ to act as a router, I just don't need it handing out IP addresses on my LAN. Is this possible?

You want it to act like a router, but not hand out IP addresses, but not act as an Access Point? What do you think an Access Point does that differs from that? Because I'm pretty sure "Access Point" is exactly what you want.

Offline ja3hawk

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 05:07:22 pm »
You want it to act like a router, but not hand out IP addresses, but not act as an Access Point? What do you think an Access Point does that differs from that? Because I'm pretty sure "Access Point" is exactly what you want.

To me, an access point doesn't do anything other than allow wireless clients to connect to an existing LAN. I'm just unsure if the A+ will still be able to handle the WAN side of the connection while in AP mode. The AP's I'm currently using are made by Ubiquiti and all the do is exactly what I've described.

As for DHCP, I'm using a dedicated server for DHCP and DNS.

Anyways, things seem to be working ok for the moment. I'm going to let the firmware develop and try some more advanced configurations at a later date. Someone needs to build a comprehensive wiki on the A+ once it's completely developed.

Offline summat

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 07:45:16 pm »
Perhaps disabling the 'dnsmasq' service from OpenWRT -> System -> Startup would do the trick? dnsmasq does the DHCP-server and dns-forwarder duties.. both of which you're taking care of elsewhere on your network..

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck