bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Not Your Father's Oldsmobile  (Read 3130 times)

Offline mjohns254

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Not Your Father's Oldsmobile
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:43:04 pm »
After owning an Almond WiFi router for a couple of years,  I was very pleased with its simple and easy to use UI both as a router or an extender.  It fell under the category of "It just works".  So when Securifi announced the Almond+ on Kickstarter, I thought here is a proven company with a history of building WiFi routers that are reliable and easy to use.  I also use Belkin Wemo switches and Phillips Hue bulbs in my house.  I though what a great benefit to have the Almond+ control these devices.  Securifi even had a "Hue" demo video.  So I invested a mere $109 to get the new Almond+.  I know these products take time to implement, but I was concerned that Securifi was trying to build everything for everyone in the IoT arena.

I waited for more than a year with great expectations......  I received the Almond+ router a few weeks back and replaced my Netgear AC router with what I thought was going to "just work".  I have a better than average understanding on how to set up a wireless network.  However, I did not expect the "cluster" of silly problems associated with this device.  I thought the Almond+ would, at the very least, be a solid wireless AC router.  It is not.

I have a real life home network that I need to keep running.  I appreciate your other investors who are helping you debug what should have been solid already.  I am fairly positive the some future software release will be stable and I will check in to see when that happens.  In the meantime, I will put the Almond+ back in its yellow box.

I wish Securifi well with this project.  I remember in my development days that anyone can build a router in quantities of one.  The real skill is to ramp up a product that works and supports the largest end user base not just those who relish pointing out and fixing problems.

LGNilsson

Re: Not Your Father's Oldsmobile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:57:39 am »
Sadly things are far from perfect with the Almond+, but to let you in on some history, the Almond wasn't perfect on day one either as far as I've been told, since I haven't been with the company since the beginning.
It took until about the time you got yours, i.e. about six months, to get it to where it was a good product. Hopefully it won't take quite as long for us to get the Almond+ to that point.
We'll apparently have native Hue support soon, although I'm not sure when/if we'll have native Wemo support.
If you can provide some more details about the other issues you've had, we'll see if we can't help get them fixed.

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 23 queries.