Choose style:

Author Topic: I honestly don't know what to call this  (Read 5397 times)

Offline francehopper

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
I honestly don't know what to call this
« on: October 01, 2014, 11:55:46 am »
I've noticed something by visiting the forums today that I think is the source of an issue I'm having. The IP that's logged for me here on the forums is the WAN address of my Almond+ and not my actual IP. My university's internet is set up such that we own the 144.118.x.x block of addresses, which as some of you may have correctly identified, are public IPs. There are no private IPs here by default. That said, it looks like I've accidentally setup my Almond+ with NAT, which would explain why things aren't working as expected.
My Almond+'s WAN is 144.118.x.20
Lan is .21
The machine I'm writing this on is .106, which is a public IP that I need to be able to see from the WAN and currently do not.

Any suggestions? I had this working before I changed rooms in my building, which caused me to have to factory reset the Almond+ to be able to use it again. I think I may have had WAN configured by DHCP instead of Static before the move, but I can't recall now.

Offline Mike

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: I honestly don't know what to call this
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 04:05:35 pm »
I have noticed before I had the almond that my IP listed on the forums here is not my actual WAN ip,
my guess its a bug in the forum or the proxies of the hoster are fuzzing things,...

actually,... this post is the first one i notice to show me a relevant IP,... before it showed some unfamiliar 6#.?.?.?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 04:15:54 pm by Mike »

Offline matt

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 11:38:40 pm »
I've noticed something by visiting the forums today that I think is the source of an issue I'm having. The IP that's logged for me here on the forums is the WAN address of my Almond+ and not my actual IP. My university's internet is set up such that we own the 144.118.x.x block of addresses, which as some of you may have correctly identified, are public IPs. There are no private IPs here by default. That said, it looks like I've accidentally setup my Almond+ with NAT, which would explain why things aren't working as expected.
My Almond+'s WAN is 144.118.x.20
Lan is .21
The machine I'm writing this on is .106, which is a public IP that I need to be able to see from the WAN and currently do not.

Any suggestions? I had this working before I changed rooms in my building, which caused me to have to factory reset the Almond+ to be able to use it again. I think I may have had WAN configured by DHCP instead of Static before the move, but I can't recall now.

Are you basically just using it as a wireless access point then? If so, then look into AP mode. I have seen a few forum posts with AP mode issues, but I don't know if they are widespread. But if you don't want NAT/dhcp/dns, that is probably what you want.

Offline francehopper

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 04:48:03 pm »
Are you basically just using it as a wireless access point then? If so, then look into AP mode. I have seen a few forum posts with AP mode issues, but I don't know if they are widespread. But if you don't want NAT/dhcp/dns, that is probably what you want.

I do want DHCP as I have a couple static IPs but everything else isn't, but still needs to be on the same subnet to talk to each other correctly. Yay complicated setups :/

Offline matt

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 05:38:15 pm »
I do want DHCP as I have a couple static IPs but everything else isn't, but still needs to be on the same subnet to talk to each other correctly. Yay complicated setups :/

If this is a university subnet, then how can you just take other IPs on the same subnet and know they aren't/won't be used by other devices on the network? Or are you just hoping that they won't be? I am not a fan of saying "why would you do this" as an answer (in fact I generally hate it), but I feel like this could easily cause IP conflicts and network issues. However, if this is definitely what you want to do, then it sounds like you want to put it into AP mode and enable DHCP on certain router ports (eth interfaces). This should be doable though. Admittedly it might be better to have separate VLANs with your router acting as a bridge, but A+ doesn't do VLANs currently. Be very sure that you are not broadcasting DHCP to your WAN, we would regularly and automatically shut off residents who did this (e.g. people who plugged in their router backwards).

Offline francehopper

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 04:37:15 pm »
If this is a university subnet, then how can you just take other IPs on the same subnet and know they aren't/won't be used by other devices on the network? Or are you just hoping that they won't be? I am not a fan of saying "why would you do this" as an answer (in fact I generally hate it), but I feel like this could easily cause IP conflicts and network issues. However, if this is definitely what you want to do, then it sounds like you want to put it into AP mode and enable DHCP on certain router ports (eth interfaces). This should be doable though. Admittedly it might be better to have separate VLANs with your router acting as a bridge, but A+ doesn't do VLANs currently. Be very sure that you are not broadcasting DHCP to your WAN, we would regularly and automatically shut off residents who did this (e.g. people who plugged in their router backwards).
I'll keep playing with settings then. DHCP is definitely off for WAN. As for the IP conflicts issue, we're subnet in the building subnet by floor and there are only 25 on my floor. IPs go in sequential order, so I always take the last 20 in the subnet as we never get that high (and if we did, the switch for the floor would see them as in use anyway since you can register a block for your use.)

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.