bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Other colors availability?  (Read 4546 times)

Offline doceinstein

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Other colors availability?
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:06:23 am »
When are other colors available on Amazon other than black? Thanks.

LGNilsson

Re: Other colors availability?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 10:03:36 am »
They won't be. It was a Kickstarter only special, sorry  :-\

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:47:45 am »
That's too bad. I knew the original colors were "kickstarter exclusives" I assumed there would be slightly different (or at least differently named) colors coming out eventually. Particularly white, as many people would probably like the white if their other items (smoke alarms, thermostats, switches) are all white. I am not familiar with the manufacturing process Lars, is this due to cost constraints or for simplicity?

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:47:15 pm »
We might do a white version in the future, but the other colours are off the table.

There are a lot of reasons as to why we're sticking to black for now, but it's not a pure cost issue. One of the main reasons is that mixing plastic colours is a bad idea and the moulds have to be hand cleaned when you change colours. I did in fact spot a fleck of black plastic in the red Almond+ we used at CES and some people would consider this enough of a reason to return a product, something we obviously don't want.

We're already doing multiple SKU's for different Z-Wave regions, throw in another colour and we double our SKU's...

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:48:56 pm »
All makes sense, just interested to hear the reasons. Thanks Lars!

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 11:33:36 pm »
Could find someone to 3d print a "case" for your Almond+ as an alternative.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 07:29:59 am »
Could find someone to 3d print a "case" for your Almond+ as an alternative.

That is a realy cool idea.

I pledged for the Flux 3D printer.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2117384013/flux-all-in-one-3d-printer-unlimited-elegant-simpl

From what I can see I don't think it would be able to print something as big as a case for the Almond+, and getting the measurments right and building the 3D model would be a pain.
But it could be pretty cool to do a custom case. Hehe.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 09:44:35 am »
Not sure of your 3d printing background, but the Almond+ should not be too bad. Depends on 2 things:
1) Do you want to cover the entire router (more complicated) or just a portion (just front/sides or front only?
2) How big is the print area of your printer? For example, mine has a 4"x4"x4" area (on a good day) as it is an "old" Thing-O-Matic.

For larger objects than your print area, you need to design the object in pieces. The most common is to make the connecting sides have simple puzzle-like edges. Or for vertical additions you use a post/socket to connect them together. If needed (depending on fit and tolerances) a little super glue (or other depending on material) would seal them together. Then there are things you can do for a smoother look.

Barring the 3d printer method someone could always paint their Almond+ or put a veneer on it... Although I would think those 2 would be instant warranty voids. :)

Most important aspect, be careful of openings. The Almond+ needs airflow. Plus you need to keep the touchscreen and ports clear.

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 10:00:28 am »
I have Zero experience in 3D printing. ;-)
My pledge for that KS is my entrance into that world.  ;-)
That is if they deliver, but I think they will.

But yes, one could do it with some paint, but I think it could be tricky to get that nice especially with the ventilation grids.

And doing the puzzle method could be nice, having different colours.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 11:21:03 am »
My main experience with the puzzle method comes from 2 large spool holders I printed that mount to the top of my printer. All the same plastic and if I had worked it afterwards they probably would look like one piece. But for stuff like that I care more about function. I have also made multiple smaller parts that had to be fit together and glued, so the post/socket and slots have come in handy.

So you could do a puzzle, and actually make it one, or just have it be solid. If you have not already, browse around Thingiverse a bit and find some small, fun things that interest you to try first.

Offline PhilShifley

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 09:39:45 pm »
We might do a white version in the future, but the other colours are off the table.
As a backer who took the risk upfront, paid more for an exclusive color & waited a year+ for delivery its disappointing to read this only 6 months after getting my "exclusive" white model. I understand Securifi has to do things to make money but its still disappointing to read this so soon.

I'd rather see the OP buy from amazon & support Securifi. If his heart is set on white I would suggest checking eBay. A white comes up every month or so.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:00:55 pm by PhilShifley »

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck