bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Rules  (Read 5333 times)

Offline Inimical

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Rules
« on: February 27, 2015, 03:46:41 pm »
Any idea if we will be able to create rules based on router activities? For example, as soon as my phone joins the Wifi network, I want the porch light to turn on.

Thanks!

Amritendu

Re: Rules
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 04:32:37 pm »
Don't think its possible. Wi-Fi and Automations chips are different entities, hence rules in sync with router activities are not an option.

Offline fgtech

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 04:16:13 pm »
But the SOC can talk to the WiFi and the automation chips, right? Maybe it's not implemented that way now but it should be a straightforward matter for the WiFi driver to emit a signal (or write to a log which another process could monitor) that could trigger an automation event. Think of all the things the router knows about which could be useful as events:

WiFi association or activity for specific MAC addresses
DHCP activity
Inbound or outbound HTTP activity to a specific web site
Any sort of network activity (perhaps via firewall rules)
Failed login attempts (or successful ones!)

If it's positioned at the ISP interface, the router is a gateway (probably the most common configuration) to all of the network activity in the house. Think outside the traditional boxes a little and the Almond+ has a lot of advantages over standalone automation hubs.

Offline tonythetech

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 08:02:46 pm »
I agree that rules based on network events are a good idea, I'd also like to see network events triggered by rules (for example: send email or access a url based on a sensor trigger). The ability to specify these kinds of rules would provide a marketable advantage for a hybrid device such as this.

Offline fgtech

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 11:16:03 am »
Well said, Tony!

I know the Securifi team is still working hard to shore up all of the basic features. It is a testament to the wisdom of the company that they saw the limitations of their initial technology choices and opted to fix that before shipping something with fewer capabilities than it should have. The flip-side of such nimbleness is that we have to be patient. Things seem to be coming together quite nicely and I am very excited about the future possibilities.

It is a major design advantage that Almond+ can bridge the gap between Z-Wave and ZigBee standards. I got into this home automation endeavor thinking that I would only be using ZigBee, but as I shop around I can see that the "coverage" of available sensors that are compatible with each other is rather thin. Manufacturers have been short-sighted in Balkanizing the standards with the seeming intent to lock people into their particular platform. This is so clearly an area where the network effect of having many available sensors benefits the platform.

This same design advantage applies to the convergence of all hardware embodied in the Almond+. Let's make the most of it!

Offline sfalc

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 02:14:42 pm »
But the SOC can talk to the WiFi and the automation chips, right? Maybe it's not implemented that way now but it should be a straightforward matter for the WiFi driver to emit a signal (or write to a log which another process could monitor) that could trigger an automation event. Think of all the things the router knows about which could be useful as events:

WiFi association or activity for specific MAC addresses
DHCP activity
Inbound or outbound HTTP activity to a specific web site
Any sort of network activity (perhaps via firewall rules)
Failed login attempts (or successful ones!)

If it's positioned at the ISP interface, the router is a gateway (probably the most common configuration) to all of the network activity in the house. Think outside the traditional boxes a little and the Almond+ has a lot of advantages over standalone automation hubs.

I completely agree, this could become a number of awesome features.
By measuring network activity from  hosts on the network, the Almond+ could infer where people are and what they are doing.
I.e if my computer or my TV is sending data on the network, I'm obviously not sleeping, hence the lights should not be turned of.

Almond+ with 2 dimmer switches, 2 binary on/off switches, 1 Qubino Flush dimmer, 1 Aeontec micro dimmer, 1 Fibaro Dimmer 2, 1 Lightify RGBW bulb, 2 Lightify Flex RGBW Led strip, 1 WeMo Bulb, 1 Fibaro magnetic door sensor, Vision PIR & temperature sensor.

LGNilsson

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 02:14:18 am »
Please ignore Amritendu's post above, geo fencing is something we've discussed and it's something we want to do at some point. When that'll be, I don't know.

Offline Quikster

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 01:50:53 pm »
Glad to hear that you guys have discussed and considering implementing it at some point. So far this is my favorite kickstarter project I've backed. It was a little delayed but it was even better than what I backed and it just keeps delivering. Now that rules are mostly working with a few quirks like can't set a rule overnight and such it just keeps getting better.

LGNilsson

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 07:04:02 am »
They're working on fixing the overnight issue and from R071 it'll be possible to edit rules.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck