bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond + Newbie with Osram Lightify Garden Strip  (Read 7308 times)

Offline ettingercj

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Almond + Newbie with Osram Lightify Garden Strip
« on: July 29, 2015, 04:24:10 pm »
Has anyone gotten this product to link?  Am I missing something?  Like the Lightify Hub?  It was my assumption that with the +, I didn't need any other hub to link.  When I try to set up, I am not getting any recognition through the Almond+ via the Sensor Add on the Zigbee/Zwave OR the Hue selectors.

Any insight would be helpful.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Almond + Newbie with Osram Lightify Garden Strip
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 06:34:46 pm »
The only person I have seen mention the Garden Strip was Ohiomedic. You could try shooting him a PM specifically. In the meantime, one thing to make sure of is that the strip is not associated with something else (ie: maybe it did not get reset after a factory test is one example). You can try following the reset instructions for it.

You should not need the Lightify hub from what I can tell. These are supposed to use ZigBee Light Link (although there is some mention they may use ZigBee Home Automation, but the Almond+ supports both).
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 09:29:08 am »
I don't have the garden strip, I have the flex strip. At this time they don't work with the Almond. According to securifi power monitoring was added to them which has stopped them from paring at this time. I know there have been problems adding them to the Hue also. There is supposed to be a firmware update that allows them to connect to a Hue, but the only was to get it is to have the Lightify hub which I don't have so I can't test that.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 10:57:40 am »
Bummer.

The firmware thing bugs me. I know Securifi can update a Peanut Plug so they do have a concept of device updates... But it seems like either the standard is not clear for doing it in general for any device or the manufacturers are holding the firmware close and not letting "just anybody" do it. It will be interesting to see if Securifi lets other controllers upgrade the Peanut Plug. In any case, changing firmware, and my expectation to be able to upgrade devices seems to be a mess across the industry.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 03:53:16 pm »
I think getting the firmware from other companies might be difficult if they also sell a hub to control their devices, as a means for encouraging you to buy their hubs. Companies that don't sell hubs just peripherals is probably more reasonable.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 04:34:28 pm »
I don't think Osram puts their firmware on there site, at least I couldn't find it. So the only way to get it would be their hub. Even if they did publish it we would still need a hub that it connects to since it doesn't have USB.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:01:09 pm »
Just seems like one of those things that companies would be "smart enough" not to mess each other over (by not allowing other controllers to update firmware) while in reality the main people they are messing with are the customers. Let that be a pointer for Securifi... if you make firmware updates for your devices, let other companies controllers perform the upgrades also... IMO.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 10:24:37 pm »
Just seems like one of those things that companies would be "smart enough" not to mess each other over (by not allowing other controllers to update firmware) while in reality the main people they are messing with are the customers. Let that be a pointer for Securifi... if you make firmware updates for your devices, let other companies controllers perform the upgrades also... IMO.
True, I think the best way would be if most of the devices had a micro usb port on them. That way you could update even if you having connection problems.  I know the old Aeotec multisensor had this for for AC power use and updates. I think I did hear something about updates being part of the new z-wave spec. I might be wrong though.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 11:38:57 am »
In any case, I derailed the original question a bit. It appears that the garden strip will not work at present due to changes in the firmware Osram made. Securifi will need to account for those.

Offline Zexon83

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 06:39:21 pm »
I'm not sure if this belongs here or not. I just bought a Lightify turnable white 60 (can change light temperature) according to the wiki it is fully compatible as of March this year. However when I attempt to add it the Almond doesn't add it to the device list. I cant figure out which log I'm supposed to look at to trouble shoot but was wondering if this may also be a firmware issue. If so the wiki should be updated so people don't buy a non working device thinking it is supported. Logs have been sent under "Osram Lightify failed to connect Almond-8538"

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 09:02:44 pm »
I know there were in places other then the US first and working, wondering if they might have changed something in later batches.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 10:12:16 pm »
Seems odd that a new firmware would "block" another controller. Has anyone seen if there are similar reports for any of the other controllers? If so... That would be a reason for me to not look at Osram items anymore.

Offline pontus

• Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 01:52:59 am »
Not much assistance to OP from me here but I bought 2 Lightify RGBW lamps based on the same promise. For me they did connect and identify quite neatly but that's pretty much all they do. It is possible to dim via the touch screen or app and sometimes the colour temperature control works but not always. Saturated colours is only working on red(?).

At the moment I just use them as rather expensive, white LED lamps but I'm hoping things will get better...
Maybe I should open a separate thread for the RGBW lamps?

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 02:44:17 am »
From what I have heard they are in contact with Osram and are working on getting them working.

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 23 queries.

bottleneck