bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Z-Wave repeater setup?  (Read 13292 times)

Offline rpr69

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Z-Wave repeater setup?
« on: July 31, 2015, 12:48:03 pm »
I am trying to add sensors to my garage, but the distance and location prevent any reliable connection to the Almond+. I bought a Monoprice in-wall on/off switch) to use purely as a repeater, and it pairs with the Almond+ fine in the house, and when I plug it in in the garage, it works fine there as well. I am now trying to add sensors via the in-wall as a repeater, but I can't get it to work. I guess the question I have is two-fold a) is this device capable of being a repeater (my assumption was that all AC powered devices would act as repeaters) and b) what is the process for connecting sensors via the repeater?

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Z-Wave repeater setup?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:46:48 pm »
You will need to add the device directly to the hub to begin with. Neither Z-Wave nor ZigBee is designed to add over the repeaters. You add to the hub then have the device communicate through the repeaters after that point. So if the device is one that needs to be fixed in place you will need to bring your Almond+ near it in order to add it to begin with. ~3ft is the recommendation.

Z-Wave networks need to have a "repair" done on them to make sure all the devices are communicating across the mesh properly. At present it is unclear if the Almond+ does this at any point but it definitely does not have an interface option to manually initiate it.

ZigBee is better in this respect. ZigBee devices will automatically start looking for a repeater with a connection to the hub if they lose contact for ~10min or so.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline obmd1

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:43:09 pm »
This did NOT work for the Aeon multi sensor. I had to return it. No help fro securifi on this.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 10:35:32 pm »
obmd1, what did not work? Pairing the Aeon with the hub?

I do not have one so I am not familiar with it, sorry, but maybe someone else can.

Offline rpr69

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 11:21:43 am »
Ah. I will try setting up at the Almond+ then trying it remotely. Hope it works.

Offline obmd1

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 11:06:35 pm »
Aeon Multisensor paired with the hub fine, and worked well so long as it was within primary range of the A+ It did not, despite months of trying, work at all through an extender. I tried a z-wave extender paired to the hub, as well as two other brands of in wall switches (both on the tested list in wiki). It appears as A+ may not create a mesh network through approved devices. It's a problem I haven't gotten an answer about despite several "we're sorry you are having problems" emails and sending logs in at least once.

Now I have two other door tilt sensors that MAY be connected through a mesh, but the AEON sensor definitely did not.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 07:17:44 am »
Sounds similar to some of my stuff. I am not sure if the Almond+ performs the Z-Wave "repair" function for the network. If it does... Then I have devices that are not understanding it as well (my motion sensors). Some other things have worked substantially further though. Sounds like a similar situation.

The tools exist to figure this out. They just need to come down in cost and be available to home users.

Offline Fire69

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:53:19 am »
You will need to add the device directly to the hub to begin with. Neither Z-Wave nor ZigBee is designed to add over the repeaters.

That is not correct. Z-wave has Network Wide Inclusion. But your controller needs to support it.

Offline obmd1

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 08:41:18 pm »
Sounds similar to some of my stuff. I am not sure if the Almond+ performs the Z-Wave "repair" function for the network. If it does... Then I have devices that are not understanding it as well (my motion sensors). Some other things have worked substantially further though. Sounds like a similar situation.

The tools exist to figure this out. They just need to come down in cost and be available to home users.

I'm glad I'm not alone. The lack of product support for simple stuff like this is stunning... I like Vera over Wink so far... you?

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 07:26:18 am »
Not sure how simple that is. The Network Inclusion is news to me. Pretty much every controller I have looked at, and all my Z-Wave devices, say include at the controller.

Offline Fire69

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 08:44:04 am »
Don't know about other controllers but Homey has support for it (as well as secondary controllers and some more interesting stuff) :
https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/1894/

Offline obmd1

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 10:04:49 am »
Not sure how simple that is. The Network Inclusion is news to me. Pretty much every controller I have looked at, and all my Z-Wave devices, say include at the controller.

Including at the controller isn't the issue. It's maintaining inclusion when moved outside the range of primary connection to the controller, i.e., though a network extender or connected rebroadcasting device. Not a lick of help has been had here. No instructions on how to heal the network, or even if that is possible. No response after looking at logs, and no help trouble-shooting this previously "tested" device.

Offline rpr69

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 04:29:35 pm »
Well, I don't think it's working for me, the garage door sensor syncs up and sends alerts, but I believe that it is going direct to the A+, not through the in-wall sensor (just realised all I have to do is remove the in-wall to test the theory. duh) as a door switch does not sync in the garage, but does work when closer to the house.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 08:30:14 pm »
So... Plus and minus at the moment? You got at least one more sensor working (paired close to the Almond+?) but not all where you wanted them?

Offline rpr69

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 12:32:50 pm »
I guess so, yeah. but I have two other sensors that still don't work (door/window) and an in-wall relay that works, but I have no use for, as I only bought it to use as an extender. Should have done some research beforehand.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 18 queries.

bottleneck