bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Enable DHCP  (Read 7946 times)

Offline steve

• Acorn
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Enable DHCP
« on: May 06, 2014, 10:24:53 am »
I would like to setup the Almond as a wireless access point, but also a router. I.e., I would prefer that our wireless network be on a different subnet from our main network. So far, every attempt at this has failed. Every time I try to put the DHCP in Server mode, after clicking "Apply", the setting reverts to Disabled. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Enable DHCP
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 09:10:49 pm »
I would like to setup the Almond as a wireless access point, but also a router. I.e., I would prefer that our wireless network be on a different subnet from our main network. So far, every attempt at this has failed. Every time I try to put the DHCP in Server mode, after clicking "Apply", the setting reverts to Disabled. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

It can not be an Access Point and a Router.  It can only be an Access Point or a Router.  Choose one.

When your Almond is setup as an Access Point,  it disables the DHCP Server.  (This is by design).  The goal of an "Access Point" is to provide another location to access your network from.  It connects to your main router,  and grabs an IP address via DHCP.   All client devices that connect to your Almond will pickup their DHCP IP address directly from your Main Router.

What you want to accomplish is not possible on the original Almond.  It is almost definitely possible on our Almond+ product,  but this would require using scripts to completely re-design the network configuration provided by the Firmware. You would need to use an expensive high-end Enterprise class router to accomplish your goals without the need for scripts. 

Scripting this on any Router would be very complicated,  as you would need to make the router into a "multi-homed" device with multiple local RFC1918 networks on your Router,  and you would need to configure separate DNS/DHCP servers on each subnet,  and would need to manually configure your firewall to permit packets to transfer between these networks.

I have setup such networks for a local Museum,  where they wanted their "adminstrative network" isolated from their "Public Wi-Fi" they offer their patrons over 3 floors of their museum.  It took 5 Routers,  and over 40 hours of labour, but I did finally give them the configuration they desired. 

I do not believe this is possible on the original Almond product.  (No persistent storage for your scripts). 

Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline steve

• Acorn
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 10:43:36 am »
Thanks for the detailed response. After reading it, I realized that I didn't really want it to function as an Access Point AND a Router. What I really wanted was just a wireless router - i.e. I did not want any of the wireless clients to be able to access the main network. So, I disabled the Access Point, and voila!, the Almond immediately started routing between the wireless network and the wired one, just as I wanted. I just didn't quite understand what Access Point meant. So, all is good! Thanks, again!

Steve

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 11:29:07 am »
I don't have a Almond, but does it support something like VLAN? In this way one could perhaps separate the two networks?

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 01:11:10 pm »
I don't have a Almond, but does it support something like VLAN? In this way one could perhaps separate the two networks?

The original Almond does not support VLAN.  (Almond+ doesn't either at this time,  but the Almond+ chipset can support VLAN.  so it might may be possible to add this functionality later). 

VLAN's typically need pretty complicated Firewalls in order to control them.  The original Almond does not provide any persistent storage,  so setting up Firewall scripts etc on the original Almond would present a problem.  Our Almond+ product does provide persistent storage,  so adding custom scripts to Almond+ is relatively easy to do. 

Basically what I'm saying is that VLAN under Almond is unlikely due to lack of hardware support in the chipset,  and lack of persistent storage for scripts,  but this may be possible on the Almond+ once the Fimrware matures.  Our software team is presently working on the HA feaures,  and porting some of the functionality of the original Almond,  such as the Weather and Time Apps,  so I doubt adding VLAN support has started yet. 

I am not part of our Software Team,  so I can not speak for them. 
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline cretur

• Peanut
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 02:15:41 pm »
LOL you cannot have an access-point  and a router at same time... If you are asking about VLANs you should know this..

Offline fms1961

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 02:42:39 pm »
I have setup such networks for a local Museum,  where they wanted their "adminstrative network" isolated from their "Public Wi-Fi" they offer their patrons over 3 floors of their museum.  It took 5 Routers,  and over 40 hours of labour, but I did finally give them the configuration they desired.
Thank you for your deep explanations.

But in your case a Logilink WL0133 would have been the solution - configuration time one hour, and you have your separated WiFi-Network which only uses the local network to access then internet router. This would have spared a lot of money ... ;-) Works fine, but unfortunately, this appliance has been discontinued without a replace, so I'm looking for substitutes. Unfortunately, the Almond will not bee the hoped solution ... Perhaps with a newer firmware version? The Logilink example shows that this is possible ...

It's a pity, because I think your product is a big step forward in handling Internet access and WiFi appliances.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 16 queries.

bottleneck