bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond "Multiple Problems"  (Read 10091 times)

Offline cretur

• Peanut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Almond "Multiple Problems"
« on: May 08, 2014, 06:13:17 pm »
To start with I have the latest code release.

1st problem Every day I have to reboot the Almond. It just freezes up and stays connected to my service provider but no wireless or cable connection works. The wireless just disconnects and cannot reconnect, the cable connection is connected but just cannot go anywhere., I have to reboot it in order to work again.

2nd problem is I add a Virtual Server, Just does not work.. I have the DNS setup correctly, I am a Network Engineer and 17 year Bind 8 & 9 user so I know how to set the DNS up. So DNS is not an issue. I set up the Virtual server and it does nothing... I set it up in my Cisco router the same way it works fine.. I go back to the Almond and it does nothing..

Virtual server - http://imgur.com/HJtae2K

3rd Problem I set the DHCP client to release & renew for 72 hours and it release and renews about every 4 hours. the only way for me to keep an ip for longer than that is to put a static ip on the host.

I am concerned about this cause I need all 3 to work.. Please help me with a fix..
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:58:58 pm by Patrick Wilson »

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Almond "Multiple Problems"
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:39:50 pm »
To start with I have the latest code release.

1st problem Every day I have to reboot the Almond. It just freezes up and stays connected to my service provider but no wireless or cable connection works. The wireless just disconnects and cannot reconnect, the cable connection is connected but just cannot go anywhere., I have to reboot it in order to work again.

The current Firmware (as of the date of this reply) is: AL1-R198-L300-W33.  Please confirm that this is the "latest code release" you are talking about.  How are you connected to your ISP?  xDSL,  Cable modem?  Are you using DHCP to get an IP address from your provider,  or have they assigned you a static IP address?  Are you using the default DNS servers provided in the Firmware (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) are you using the DNS servers provided by your ISP?   

2nd problem is I add a Virtual Server, Just does not work.. I have the DNS setup correctly, I am a Network Engineer and 17 year Bind 8 & 9 user so I know how to set the DNS up. So DNS is not an issue. I set up the Virtual server and it does nothing... I set it up in my Cisco router the same way it works fine.. I go back to the Almond and it does nothing..

Virtual server - http://imgur.com/HJtae2K

Your Virtual Server configuration is misconfigured.  The IP addresses listed should be the "internal" network address of the Web Server you are trying to connect to,  rather than your external IP address.  As your router is living at it's default 10.10.10.254/24 address,  I would assume that you want to forward both 2001/TCP and 8000/TCP to a Web Server running on an internal machine operating at 10.10.10.nnn.  (You should be listing this internal IP address in the field).

You can test your forwarding using CanYouSeeMe.org - Open Port Check Tool to verify that both ports  2001/TCP and 8000/TCP answer, 

3rd Problem I set the DHCP client to release & renew for 72 hours and it release and renews about every 4 hours. the only way for me to keep an ip for longer than that is to put a static ip on the host.

Please share the settings on the "Network" tile of the WebUI. 

I am concerned about this cause I need all 3 to work.. Please help me with a fix..

If you aren't comfortable with my requests,  please feel free to contact our Technical Support team for further assistance.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:45:33 pm by Patrick Wilson »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline cretur

• Peanut
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:24:23 am »
The current Firmware (as of the date of this reply) is: AL1-R198-L300-W33.  Please confirm that this is the "latest code release" you are talking about.  How are you connected to your ISP?  xDSL,  Cable modem?  Are you using DHCP to get an IP address from your provider,  or have they assigned you a static IP address?  Are you using the default DNS servers provided in the Firmware (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) are you using the DNS servers provided by your ISP?   

I am connected via Cable, I use MY ISP's Name servers..

According to the securifi website AL1-R196-L299-W33 is the current code, How do I get the code you are speaking of?

Your Virtual Server configuration is misconfigured.  The IP addresses listed should be the "internal" network address of the Web Server you are trying to connect to,  rather than your external IP address.  As your router is living at it's default 10.10.10.254/24 address,  I would assume that you want to forward both 2001/TCP and 8000/TCP to a Web Server running on an internal machine operating at 10.10.10.nnn.  (You should be listing this internal IP address in the field).

I have tried both ways using external and internal. Just does not work.

You can test your forwarding using CanYouSeeMe.org - Open Port Check Tool to verify that both ports  2001/TCP and 8000/TCP answer, 

This would have to be turned on in the Almond then to listen for port 8000 then forward to the internal ip's given port., How do you turn port 8000 on within the Almond.. ?

Please share the settings on the "Network" tile of the WebUI. 

If you aren't comfortable with my requests,  please feel free to contact our Technical Support team for further assistance.

Problem 1 was not addressed.. This happens every day, I mean every day and it is very very very very annoying to have to go in and reboot a router every day..

I also hate the fact there is no QoS abilities.. The firewall you really have no say so in what you can filter out.. The price of this thing is not worth it.. I really wish I had not purchased this product very dissatisfied.. I cant wait to go leave my feedback with Amazon..
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:45:23 am by cretur »

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 01:15:16 pm »
I am connected via Cable, I use MY ISP's Name servers..

According to the securifi website AL1-R196-L299-W33 is the current code, How do I get the code you are speaking of?

Sorry,  I erred,  the current Firmware is indeed:  AL1-R196-L299-W33

I have tried both ways using external and internal. Just does not work.

This would have to be turned on in the Almond then to listen for port 8000 then forward to the internal ip's given port., How do you turn port 8000 on within the Almond.. ?

Problem 1 was not addressed.. This happens every day, I mean every day and it is very very very very annoying to have to go in and reboot a router every day..

I appreciate that you are having issues,  but we need information in order to help you troubleshoot this.  Please contact our Technical Support team for further assistance.

I also hate the fact there is no QoS abilities.. The firewall you really have no say so in what you can filter out.. The price of this thing is not worth it.. I really wish I had not purchased this product very dissatisfied.. I cant wait to go leave my feedback with Amazon..

Please contact our Technical Support team for assistance.  Please provide us with an opportunity to resolve your issues before doing so.  You may be experiencing hardware issues,  or configuration issues,  we would like to work with you to attempt to resolve these issues.  If you device is defective our technical team can work with you to "replace" or "secure a refund" as appropriate. 

Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline cretur

• Peanut
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 04:13:27 pm »

I am sick of messing with this thing I am sending it back. Too many problems to with it.  I am getting my money back.

Sorry,  I erred,  the current Firmware is indeed:  AL1-R196-L299-W33

I appreciate that you are having issues,  but we need information in order to help you troubleshoot this.  Please contact our Technical Support team for further assistance.

Please contact our Technical Support team for assistance.  Please provide us with an opportunity to resolve your issues before doing so.  You may be experiencing hardware issues,  or configuration issues,  we would like to work with you to attempt to resolve these issues.  If you device is defective our technical team can work with you to "replace" or "secure a refund" as appropriate.

Offline cretur

• Peanut
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 10:34:17 pm »
I have read over all the issues people are having in the forums..

I also tried it as a range extender since people claimed it had great distance ... WRONG, I hooked it up to my old router set them side by side and my old router Cisco E1200 had stronger signal from same distance. This product is more of a Novelty then a good working product. It might be some day but right now it is still in development stages in my opinion and should be sold at a way lower price. Should not charge a premium price for a product that is not ready for the market. This should not have a price tag of more than $40

I have ZERO faith in this product.

Offline cretur

• Peanut
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 01:58:37 pm »
 President Raji or something like that Sends me an email saying I hope you love the Almond, I reply back saying it is a POS.. So he responds saying please give it one more try and to call our tech support... I replied back saying ok I am bored tonight I will play with it.. But calling your tech support will do no good, They could not figure out how to fix the other problems after 4 days... So I played with it and being that we do not have the ability to write to the file use netstat which they have not even included.. You have to install the embedded one from code.google.com I cannot fix an obvious problem.

Being that it is Linux and I am a 17 year user of Unix/Linux I telnet into it. I find an obvious problem and no way to fix it because we cannot write to the file. I also found that every day my iptables were wiped clean and I had to re add them daily. The virtual server just plain does not work, There is no QOS Support, The firewall is a JOKE! (5 problems now found in this product - Who knows how many more) It is not ready for the market, It is just a themed product which is **** WAY OVER PRICED ****\ This product could be a really great product if they started over got rid of Busybox and used FreeBSD.. I could write a kick bunny router in one day using FreeBSD but I am not sure on the touch screen, I know nothing about code writing for the touch screen, Cant be that hard though if I could just see the config files..I am sure their tech support guys are nice guys but the one I dealt with does not appear to have a Linux background and does not really understand.

So I send all this to their president after he asks me to play with it.. All I keep getting in return is some canned email that is exactly the same every time as if it was like an out of office reply but it is not.. I sure feel like they wasted a ton of my time..

So while I await my new router from Cisco to arrive today I built a router using FreeBSD and my old Cisco as an access-point.. Works great and I am actually considering just leaving that.. But my new Cisco is a 2600 with 2 1g SFP into a 1g Switch from that Switch I have a 1g Cisco Aeronet. You ask if I have that why did I buy this Securifi? Well I was browsing Amazon looking for the parts I needed for my Cisco, My router had died and I needed replacement fast and my parts would not get here in time. So I decided to buy this as it looked cool and I could use it as a range extender.. But after setting that side by side with my access-point my old failing access-point gave me longer distance/range then this with more options..

If you want to venture into your own router using a spare computer with wireless and all the functions of a real router here is a list of distro's you can use..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_and_firewall_distributions

But honest opinion of this Almond is it sucks.. It is really only a product for very very very basic needs and or for someone who has no knowledge of routing and routers could easily set it up..

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck