Choose style:

Author Topic: What kind of sensors do you want the most?  (Read 24583 times)

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: What kind of sensors do you want the most?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 10:06:40 pm »
There is a Wayne Dalton garage door conversion module here:

http://www.z-wave.com/frys/safety_security/

Here I went with multiple sensors (for two garage doors) and DIY'd my own closure stuff.  I did leave all of the saftey mechanisms in place (optic beam and so forth).  I also added an IP camera and use a motion sensor and RFID on the automobiles such that the house announces when they come and go plus status whether they are in or out of the vicinity.

That is so cool.   So how can I cobble together a Z-Wave Coffee Maker?   :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:53:54 pm by Patrick Wilson »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline pete

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 11:40:31 am »
A Z-Wave appliance switch would work.

I just looked at the display panel on the retro coffee pot.  It has multiple buttons relating to time keeping etc.  That said an appliance Z-Wave module would not work.

The engineer in me would redesign the coffee pot. 

On a tangent here about making coffee at work...  I would grind my coffee beans in the afternoon and just use a french press.  It involved a bit of work and did make good coffee.

I would want to integrate a wireless Z-Wave module inside of the coffee maker that did more than just turn on and off the coffee maker. 

Maybe show some environmental variables, how full the pot is, how long it brewed the coffee, the temperature of the coffee and how much electricity it used making the coffee; and yeah would want to automatically sync the time via the mothership.

Might as well utilize a little LCD screen Almond size and give it a tiny OS.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:42:55 am by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline AARON

• Backer
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 02:25:15 pm »
I really just want someone to make a Zigbee/Z-Wave Coffee machine.  It ain't Home Automation if it can't make me a Pot of coffee.

I already have this... Zwave appliance module turns on/off my espresso machine twice a day. It is all hot and ready by the time I'm ready to drink.

Offline Jbeaman

• Backer
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 05:32:45 am »
I've been looking into motion/light sensors and also video cameras (hopefully to also use as motion sensors as well as recording activity)

You should add (motion) to the PIR listing, as I didn't know what it was until I googled it.

LGNilsson

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 11:00:36 pm »
This was just an informal poll in the forums, but you're correct and we'll add that in the future when we mention PIR products, although some of them can be more than just motion sensors.

Offline pete

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 06:35:27 pm »
BTW (by the way) welcome to the Securifi forum Jbeaman.

Here I utilize Optex combo analog cams and they have built in PIRs.  I power the camera with DC voltage and there are three sensors in it.

Lately too migrating all legacy analog cameras to IP HD cameras.  Picture is way better.

That said I also do video analytics for motion trigger events using multiple defined zoning plus various methodology weighing:

1 - Sensitivity presets are:
Fast low sensitivity
Fast medium sensitivity
Fast high sensitivity
Best low sensitivity
Best medium sensivity
Best high sensitivity
2 - Alarm check methods
Blobs
Alarmed pixels
Filtered pixels
and more.

Algorithms are way better today than yesterday and much faster.

That said it still not a perfect science.  It only works so so.  Even the best and most expensive video analytics isn't right yet.

Here I depend on a combination of different technologies for outdoor motion and use them in combination to trigger alarm events and motion recording events.

A bird, fly, bee or rain or trees moving messes a bunch with video analytics.  In the home its much easier to do than the outside.

Look at the attached picture; the lines you see are the video analytics.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 06:56:53 pm by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline quantum66

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 12:37:13 pm »
IP Cameras.

Recently there is the ONVIF IP Camera standard and if you integrate with the latest Onvif Standard protocol then this will open the door to use thousands of IP Camera selections!

LGNilsson

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 09:49:28 pm »
ONVIF sadly doesn't quite work like that, as you still need to add additional options for each camera if they any form of "non standard" features, i.e. PTZ, audio etc.
We're looking into what kind of support we can give for IP cameras, but we have no announcement at this point in time.

Offline Slim4

• Peanut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 11:28:28 am »
There is a Wayne Dalton garage door conversion module here:

http://www.z-wave.com/frys/safety_security/

Here I went with multiple sensors (for two garage doors) and DIY'd my own closure stuff.  I did leave all of the saftey mechanisms in place (optic beam and so forth).  I also added an IP camera and use a motion sensor and RFID on the automobiles such that the house announces when they come and go plus status whether they are in or out of the vicinity.

Pete,
What RFID reader did you use??  I'm looking for one to integrate in to my home, but I only found one:
http://www.amazon.com/Zipato-Mini-Keypad-Z-Wave-WT-RFID-US/dp/B00IA89R8K
Don't know if it will work with the A+ or not.
Z-Wave Setup (WIP)
1x Peanut Wall plug
1x BE469NXCAM716 Schlage Deadbolt

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 10:07:17 pm »
I really want the Aeon Labs Multi sensor supported. I covers 4 device types at a good price point.  I would also like cameras, key pads and a weather center integrated (especially sunrise/sunset info, currently have a generic lighting rule based on time of day, would rather have it connected to sunrise/sunset).

http://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-Aeotec-Z-Wave-Multi-Sensor/dp/B008D5TYGU
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:10:31 pm by Blueiris8 »

LGNilsson

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 11:39:17 pm »
I got a multi now and I'll make sure it goes to our software team.

Also talked to them today at CES and we're pretty much going to clear their pod for them and take all their working samples with us so we can add support for all their sensors  ;D

LGNilsson

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 11:41:34 pm »
Pete,
What RFID reader did you use??  I'm looking for one to integrate in to my home, but I only found one:
http://www.amazon.com/Zipato-Mini-Keypad-Z-Wave-WT-RFID-US/dp/B00IA89R8K
Don't know if it will work with the A+ or not.

I doubt that work, as it most likely works as a secondary controller. Not even seen that product before, so don't expect support for it any time soon, if ever.  Sorry  :-\

Offline Slim4

• Peanut
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 10:15:31 am »
I doubt that work, as it most likely works as a secondary controller. Not even seen that product before, so don't expect support for it any time soon, if ever.  Sorry  :-\

Ah dang.  No worries though.  Eventually someone will come out with one maybe.  Or I'll get some free time and learn how to develop a solution ;)
Z-Wave Setup (WIP)
1x Peanut Wall plug
1x BE469NXCAM716 Schlage Deadbolt

Offline Mishakim

• Backer
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 04:18:44 pm »
I got a multi now and I'll make sure it goes to our software team.

Also talked to them today at CES and we're pretty much going to clear their pod for them and take all their working samples with us so we can add support for all their sensors  ;D
Any word from them on whether they're ever going to ship their touch panel switches? It would really meet my need of wall switches that don't actually connect to the house wiring. see http://aeotec.com/z-wave-wall-switch

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 07:46:25 pm »
Mishakim,

Those touch panels do connect to the house wiring. They are mains powered. Though technically they connect to Aeon Labs' micro switch line which connects to your mains power. I was overall not impressed with their look when I picked up a few of the single switch versions during a brief distribution last year.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.