Choose style:

Author Topic: keeps disconnecting from my device  (Read 11054 times)

Offline bouncy1920

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
keeps disconnecting from my device
« on: May 19, 2014, 11:13:29 pm »
I mainly use the Almond as a range extender.  I also use it connect my slingplayer. My wireless netgear rounter issued from my cable company is in my guest room and the almond is in the living room, about 150 feet away.

I use the range extender with my Kindle fire HDX in my bedroom.  However, I am constantly getting dropped by the Almond and there is no internet.  I find that I have to then disconnect and then reconnect to get internet again.  I have tried troubleshooting the issue and somewhere there was mention that I might need to create a static IP for my netgear (primary wireless) router.  So I did.  No improvement. 

Any help would be appreciated.  My job recently had wifi installed (AT&T) and I do not have these issues at work.  So I have eliminated the kindle being the problem. I also don't have this issue when connected with the netgear. But that is not practical, hence the need for the range extender.

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: keeps disconnecting from my device
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 02:30:25 am »
I mainly use the Almond as a range extender.  I also use it connect my slingplayer. My wireless netgear rounter issued from my cable company is in my guest room and the almond is in the living room, about 150 feet away.

I use the range extender with my Kindle fire HDX in my bedroom.  However, I am constantly getting dropped by the Almond and there is no internet.  I find that I have to then disconnect and then reconnect to get internet again.  I have tried troubleshooting the issue and somewhere there was mention that I might need to create a static IP for my netgear (primary wireless) router.  So I did.  No improvement. 

Any help would be appreciated.  My job recently had wifi installed (AT&T) and I do not have these issues at work.  So I have eliminated the kindle being the problem. I also don't have this issue when connected with the netgear. But that is not practical, hence the need for the range extender.

If the bedroom where you want to use your Kindle fire HDX is 150ft from the main Router,  then you ideally want the Almond to be about half-way between the two locations,  so the the Almond has a good signal with the Router,  and the Kindle has a good signal with the Almond.  Please try to optimize the signal by re-locating the Almond. 

If this effort does not resolve the issue,  please contact our Technical Support team for further assistance. 
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline bouncy1920

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 09:47:06 pm »
that may be an exaggeration.  however I have placed the almond where it needs to be, in the living room so that I can also connect it to my slingplayer.

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 01:13:26 pm »
that may be an exaggeration.  however I have placed the almond where it needs to be, in the living room so that I can also connect it to my slingplayer.

Wi-Fi typically has a range of only about 65' / 20m,  and is affected by walls,  building materials of the building etc.  For your "Range Extender" to function properly it needs a good signal to the main router.  Check your Wi-Fi configuration to see how congested the 2.4GHz band is in your location.  Perhaps you can improve the signal by using a different channel for example. 

How strong is the signal between the Almond and the ISP Router? 

Constant "dropping" suggests less than optimal Wi-Fi strength between the 2 devices.  This can have multiple causes,  including excessive distance between devices,  building materials that interfere with the signal,  or interference from neighbouring Wi-Fi networks.  Check the Wi-Fi channels used by your neighbours,  and try to ensure that you aren't on the same channel as your neighbours.   In North America,  we should be using channels 1, 6 or 11, due to the "wider" channels used in Wireless "N".   Consider the following image showing the Wi-Fi congestion at my location:

If you look carefully at the legend at the bottom of this screenshot you can see how the channels work,  and why I suggest that only channels 1, 6 and 11 should be used in North America.  (There are 13 "B" channels,  but only 3 "N" channels due to the wider channel width of Wireless "N").   Click on the image to enlarge it.

If you can't relocate the ISP Router,  or the Almond to improve the Wi-Fi signal between them,  then you might want to consider "wiring" them to each other,  and using the Almond's "Access Point" mode,  rather than the "Range Extender" mode. 

This is how I use my Almond here.  My Almond could easily work in Range Extender mode here as my Almond is less than 5m from my main Router,  but I choose to use it in Access Point mode anyway,  this this doubles the throughput of the connection. 

If you can't relocate either ISP Router or the Almond to improve the signal strength between them (regardless of the distance involved),  then you might have to consider switching the Almond to "Access Point" mode.  The advantage of our "Access Point" mode is that it greatly improves throughput,  the disadvantage of "Access Point" mode is that it requires "wiring".  (This observation applies to all Routers/Range Extenders regardless of brand).

Play with your channel choice,  and device placement to try to resolve this problem.  If you honestly believe that your Almond should be able to handle this based on signal strength etc,  then please reach out to our Support Team for further assistance: 

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:33:39 pm by Patrick Wilson »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.