bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: IFTTT Integration  (Read 19654 times)

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
IFTTT Integration
« on: May 27, 2014, 02:59:36 pm »
I am hoping that Almond+ will eventually support IFTTT integration.  It would allow Almond+ to integrate with a ton of other applications/services with much less effort than trying to integrate with the services individually.  Additionally, since it already has SMS and Phone Call integration, this would be one less thing Securifi would have to stand up.  I saw the note a that Securifi would consider it if there was enough demand, so here is one voice of demand.  :) 

For those not familiar with ifttt.com, check it out and then come back here and list the scenarios you could create if Almond+ was connected to the services below.  I would love to hear the great ideas people would have (might have to use some myself).

Want that video your security camera took automatically sent to dropbox or one drive or box?  Done.  Want your power usage sent to a google drive spreadsheet?  Done.  Wanna blink the lights in your house everytime your team scores a touchdown?  Sure, why not. Done.

Also, note some other smarthome applications are already on the list (in bold below).

500px
Android Device
Android Location
Android Notifications
Android Phone Call
Android Photos
Android SMS
App.net
Automatic
bitly
blink(1)
Blogger
Box
Boxcar 2
Boxoh Package Tracking
Buffer
BuzzFeed
Campfire
Craigslist
Date & Time
Delicious
Diigo
Dropbox
eBay
Email
Email Digest
ESPN
Etsy
Evernote
Facebook
Facebook Groups
Facebook Pages
Feed
Feedly
ffffound!
Fitbit
Fiverr
Flickr
Foursquare
GitHub
Gmail
Google Calendar
Google Drive
Google Glass
GroupMe
Gumroad
IFTTT
Instagram
Instapaper
Instapush
iOS Contacts
iOS Location
iOS Notifications
iOS Photos
iOS Reminders
JetSetMe
Last.fm
Life360
LinkedIn
Netatmo Weather Station
NewsBlur
NowVia
Numerous
OneDrive
OneNote
Parrot Flower Power
Philips hue
Phone Call
Pinboard
Pocket
Push.co
Pushbullet
Pushover
Readability
ReadingPack
reddit
Salesforce Chatter
Slack
SmartThings
SMS
SoundCloud
Stocks
Storify
Sunlight Foundation
Surfline
Svpply
The New York Times
Toodledo
Tumblr
Twitter
UP by Jawbone
Vimeo
Weather
WeMo Insight Switch
WeMo Light Switch
WeMo Motion
WeMo Switch
Wink: Egg Minder
Wink: Nimbus
Wink: Pivot Power Genius
Wink: Porkfolio
Wink: Spotter

Withings
WordPress
Yahoo! Fantasy Sports
Yammer
YouTube

LGNilsson

Re: IFTTT Integration
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:07:48 pm »
We're not against adding support for IFTTT, but please don't expect this to happen for at least six months, as we have so many other things we need to finish off first and then work with you guys on tweaking to make everyone as happy as possible with how it works.
Maybe this is someone one of the developer level backers could look at doing?

Offline robh5791

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 05:40:35 am »
I have been using IFTTT for a few months now and adding this would be a great idea. It makes sense that it would take time but I just wanted to weigh in on also wanting this to be integrated. I have backed other tech projects and understand it takes time to integrate all the things people want after the product is released into the wild for us to make suggestions on added integration. Again, I am only adding my voice to this integration.

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 07:41:23 am »
All good, requesting features is fine, we just won't be able to do it all at once  ;)

Offline clayginn

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 11:30:44 am »
Wait are we talking about the IFTTT website or company or the idea of IFTTT. With out the idea of it this is a waste of time. The idea of automation is  well Automatic. I don't just want to turn my lights on and off with my phone. I want that when the smoke alarm goes off it signals the heater to turn off. then flashes the lights in all bedrooms, then email and Txt a list of people I set.

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 11:33:27 am »
Yes, we're working on actual automation, but it won't be IFTTT, it'll be our own system. We expect to have the first parts ready by next month.
IFTTT support would be something we'd consider later on.

Offline ograbah

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 07:47:27 pm »
I would also like to chime in on the request for IFTT support.  That would allow parents to see when their kids wake up the XBOX or PS and would let them know when any of their children's wifi connected devices are in range.  What a great way to know if your kids have arrived home at the proper time, too.  :) 

For me, I'm looking to be able to build automation that can determine if both me and my wife are home, based on the presence of our phones.  It would also be very nice to be able to have it log any user MAC addresses and Computer Names to an Evernote File.  That way I can see who is accessing my network and use that to assign long-term IP Addresses or to block them.  Plus, I can have notifications sent if my front door lock sensor unlocks while my wife and I are not present.

I have absolutely no idea what it takes and am glad to hear that you are considering it.  I have an Almond+ and am really looking forward to an easy way to unlock the door from my phone and do many other things from my phone.  So, I know that you are working on many items.  I just wanted to chime in that this would be a pretty fantastic connection that might lower the automation that you have to create and provide time to focus on other items.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it!!

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 12:18:05 pm »
Yeah, I'm hoping that once the Home Automation stuff is done and most of the bug worked out that this is near to top of the list.  In one quick swoop Almond+ could be integrated with an ever expanding list of services larger than the Almond+ team could ever dream to do on their own.

Offline Mike

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 03:41:14 am »
I understand that sucurifi is not working on IFTT support. While the concept is very interesting and easy accessible, the functionality is child's play when you consider actual *home* automation. I expect that when almonds automation functions start to shape up it can offer a lot more functionality on its own.
As far as I've seen ifttt it can do a lot things but are hardly of any use. Most of the actions can be done better with just opening an app or a simple google search.
In addition it builds an octopus of linked cloud-based services,.. I'd rather skip this for reliability and security reasons and link some accounts with the almond platform if this becomes possible and/or useful.

If anyone can think of examples where ifttt + almond can provide additional useful scenarios I'd be happy to hear them. (Considering the almond will have presence awareness, sensor logging, automation rules, notifications)

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 03:33:21 pm »
Sensor to Sensor communication should always be better within the Almond+ system.  It's when you want to pair those actions with things outside of just the home automation sensors that IFTTT becomes beneficial. 

For example, UP by Jawbone knows when you are waking up (much better than a motion sensor ever will).  There are many ways you could leverage this information.  For example, you could slowly undim the lights in your bedroom to mimic sunrise (assuming its still dark out).  This gives you a much better wake up experience. 

Other people like to do detailed analytics.  You could connect the Almond+ to Google Drive or EverNote or whatever your preference is to log sensor changes, electricity usage (smart meters), etc...

Even basic things like make a phone call or send a SMS when an event is triggered.  I'm some support may eventually be added to Almond+, but leveragin an already existing network will cut down on development time and maintenance cost.

There are also a bunch of niche examples; you could have IFTTT blink your lights to notify you of something (calendar event, facebook mention, email from your mom, outbid on Ebay), automatically turn on the A/C when I'm 5 minutes from getting home (heck just connect the A/C to the weather outside), etc...

Like I said, it's not about communicating sensor to sensor, its about connecting the outside world to your sensors.  This allows your imagination to really open of to the options.  A lot of them will some pointless to some, but amazing to others.

Offline Mike

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 03:41:29 am »
Sensor to Sensor communication should always be better within the Almond+ system.  It's when you want to pair those actions with things outside of just the home automation sensors that IFTTT becomes beneficial. 
That's how it should be, but I have the impression that a lot of requests for ifttt support imply that securifi should skip its own automation platform in favor of iftt.

For example, UP by Jawbone knows when you are waking up (much better than a motion sensor ever will).  There are many ways you could leverage this information.  For example, you could slowly undim the lights in your bedroom to mimic sunrise (assuming its still dark out).  This gives you a much better wake up experience. 

Agreed,
my phone currently fetches this, some time before the alarm the lights start to brighten. If I dismiss the alarm music starts playing and the lights stay on, if I snooze the alarm the lights go back off.

Other people like to do detailed analytics.  You could connect the Almond+ to Google Drive or EverNote or whatever your preference is to log sensor changes, electricity usage (smart meters), etc...

This is exactly why I am a bit hesitant, I don't want every sensor change to fly off to another cloud (or 2). The almond should provide visual sensorlogs, and options to export them.

Even basic things like make a phone call or send a SMS when an event is triggered.  I'm some support may eventually be added to Almond+, but leveragin an already existing network will cut down on development time and maintenance cost.
If the almond wants to be a serious contender in home/security it should provide notifications on screen, in the app, email and perhaps SMS. It should not not depend on third parties for these essential functions.
How would that phone call work? A computer voice tells you about the event? (Sounds very intrusive for low priority events and slow for high priority).

There are also a bunch of niche examples; you could have IFTTT blink your lights to notify you of something (calendar event, facebook mention, email from your mom, outbid on Ebay), automatically turn on the A/C when I'm 5 minutes from getting home (heck just connect the A/C to the weather outside), etc...
Yeah the blinking colored lights for tons of things, if you really get into this, how do you know if you missed that phone call when your stocks are in deep red while you were tagged on Facebook and storm is coming?
I like my lamps to light my home when its dark, not turn it in a disco,.. And how would this build up with multiple users in the house that may or may not be at home,... Granted there can be nice applications but it can also be really intrusive, something niche exactly,..
I think the almond can provide smart a/c / heating control on its own, with the weather already in place in the almond and the app gets geofencing capabilities. (Don't know if there are already plans for this? Lars?)

Like I said, it's not about communicating sensor to sensor, its about connecting the outside world to your sensors.  This allows your imagination to really open of to the options.  A lot of them will some pointless to some, but amazing to others.

I still think many, if not most ifttt functions can, over time, be done better and safer with the almond+, sucurifi cloud and almond app. I consider myself quite open-minded to (new) tech and options, but I can't help this silly feeling with ifttt,..
Personally I'd love to see where securifi is heading without ifttt and would not be disappointed if it was never realized.

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 08:52:26 am »
This is why I said, after they have Home Automation implemented and the majority of bugs fixed, then work on IFTTT.  There is a basic level of functionality that Almond+ should have before worrying about things like IFTTT, and IFTTT should not replace that functionality. 

The key is choice.   Even if Almond+ did integrate with IFTTT, no individual would have to use it, ever.  You wouldn't have to have every light blink from every event, every sensor log go the cloud, or every event trigger a phone call, but you might want one specific event to blink the lights, log to the cloud or trigger a phone call.  It allows people to integrate Almond+ with things they use in their everyday life that Almond+ would like not support directly.  But like I said, pointless to some; amazing to others. 

Offline RevdMark

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 05:56:07 am »
Definitely +1 For IFTTT , but agree that it doesn't take priority over the other development work going on.

Offline rpr69

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 02:42:29 pm »
I have a proof of concept IFTTT sensor data push to SMS working, although it's a bit hacky as I have to use an external Linux server to do the push. It's also has no logic or intelligence in it yet, as in it only knows current state of the sensor, it doesn't have a concept of status change yet. The base for it is detailed here http://wiki.securifi.com/index.php?title=Sensor_Values_to_Cloud_IoT_Service but I have added some more stuff to it since then so it pushes events to Instapush which can then be used in either the Instapush app or linked to IFTTT.

Offline ardub

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 02:42:52 am »
+1 for IFTTT integration. Obviously, the home automation piece should come first but as others have mentioned in this forum already, the Almond+ will be best for controlling/automating your home sensors while IFTTT will extend the automation capabilities of the Almond+ to other 3rd party services.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.