bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond+ wall mounting  (Read 19585 times)

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Almond+ wall mounting
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 08:10:00 am »
Powerline as in "Powerline" network communiction....

A powerline adapter utilized for network transport has been getting better and faster in the last few years.  Obviously the first choice if possible is the use of a network cable.  Secondarily the use of a powerline network adapter has become popular.  It involves the injection of the network transport into the powerline. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication

Hehe, funny how the topic came back to what the OP asked. I completely missed that part about powerline network.

From what I have seen they are handy in certain situations like where it is not possible to have a cable and wireless does not work, but they sometimes suffer from interference, low throughput and the worst depending on your installation it might not work if your electrical installation is divided into different phases in different parts of the house.

Offline pete

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 05:02:31 pm »
Yup; I tried a powerline interface a few years back.  It worked but the throughput was very low.

They are supposed to be better these days.

Did try a test of 300 feet between buildings on the same electric phase.  It did not work.

Personally have put a lot of devices on POE and its working fine.  I had installed many cables over 10 years ago and they worked well for POE.
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline Pestus

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 07:50:32 am »
There's always HPNA and MoAC.   Coaxial lines are robust stuff.  These devices work like tiny cable modems, which mean you can't use a real cable modem on lines also used for an HPNA network.  It can share TV signal though as these are different frequencies.  Beyond that though, you can get upwards of 300Mbps on the quality stuff.  The really good ones come with a coax pass through, two ethernet ports, and a WiFi AP to extend your wireless network.

Then there's doing the same thing over phone lines.  Cat3 or voice grade 4 conductor can handle this stuff too, but don't expect much out of that.  It can work reliably, but it will be slow.  My father has a decent one of these running, and I think he said upwards of 30Mbps between the nodes.

Offline pete

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 08:53:00 am »
Yup it does work well.  Today I have FIOS fiber in one home.  Personally like fiber connection better than the coaxial or the network cable connection to the home.  (personal ISP preference here is Verizon over ATT or Comcast)  In one home have the choice of the three and have moved over to Verizon fiber when it became available.  I did actually help the tech install it as I was wanting to know every piece of it going to my home and I had prewired the new home build for just about any means of internet connectivity years before.

I have divided up the network where as all of the Motorola STB boxes connect via cable rather than catXX (even though its there) and have the main modem/router box separated out into two different networks.  HD runs just fine off of the MoAC.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 08:56:01 am by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline TS

• Backer
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 09:09:21 pm »
For anyone trying to figure out POE splitter/injectors, I bought these for the Almond+ and it works great:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DZLSRJC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note that you I'm not using USB connections as it would exceed the amps probably.

Offline j8048188

• Backer
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 09:50:04 pm »
For anyone trying to figure out POE splitter/injectors, I bought these for the Almond+ and it works great:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DZLSRJC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note that you I'm not using USB connections as it would exceed the amps probably.
If you use those passive injector/splitters, you can only get a max of 100Mbps instead of the 1000. Gigabit ethernet uses all 4 pairs (8 wires,) whereas 100Mbps only uses 2 pairs.
Passive splitters use the 2 pairs that Gigabit would use for data to pass power only.

Offline thepeel

• Backer
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 12:45:03 pm »
I'm about to mount my Almond+ and came across this and some similar threads talking about POE. I hadn't initially considered it as an option and I wanted to make sure I understand the Almonds' features before proceeding.

The Almond+ doesn't support 802.3 itself does it? That is, I'll need both an injector and splitter to utilize POE and as such I'm not technically using POE, I'm just using an ethernet cable to extend the AC Adapter correct? If it supported POE then I'd just get an injector and be done, but if it needs both, then I'll just extend the cable from wall wart and be done.

Thanks,

-peel

LGNilsson

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 10:31:51 pm »
The Almond+ does not support 802.3.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.