Choose style:

Author Topic: openHAB  (Read 19710 times)

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
openHAB
« on: June 21, 2014, 05:39:21 am »
So I came across something called openHAB.
http://www.openhab.org/features.html
Now how cool would it be if this was built into Almond+, I suppose the Almond+ is powerful enough to run it.

Certainly something to look into.

Offline pete

Re: openHAB
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 12:23:09 pm »
Interesting stuff eldaria.

[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline dbuttke

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 03:59:20 pm »
Would be very interesting to see this happen.

Offline cputoaster

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:36:18 am »
I would also be very interested to have some "standard" server for home automation running on almond+ as it would allow to profit from the huge community and developer resources of that project. Maybe securifi should focus on continuously integrating this one (or a similar one) instead of rolling their own.

Offline cputoaster

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 03:34:32 am »
Other idea: Could the securifi team maybe just create an openhab module for some cool native touchscreen controls (some largish buttons / sliders would be ok for me for some switches / dimmers) or support one of the existing ones http://www.openhab.org/features-ui.html that are based on a browser.

Offline anthonylavado

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 03:47:31 am »
I'm wondering what is available in the SDK so an app like that can be created.

This is also one of the reasons I wish there was an "API" of sorts, so I could pair Z-Wave devices to the Almond+, and still use OpenHAB for all the logic- polling sensors for info, or turning devices on/off.

Offline cputoaster

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 03:23:45 am »
Did anyone already try Oracles JRE embedded on almond+? As a first step toward working openHAB. Googling around it does not seem that there is a simple package available.

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 03:48:20 am »
After reading a bit more i'm not sure the Almond+ would be suitable to do this.
Since it is based on Java, one would need Java to run on the Almond+, and although I'm sure the Almond+ could run Java if you got it working, Java is quite resource hungry and it would probably eat up too much resources, leaving nothing left for any other stuff.

Offline FrederikSchack

• Acorn
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 05:24:19 pm »
My God! It's full of stars!

It does everything I dreamed of in this post:
http://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,1288.0.html

Even the code completion and collection of historic data (OpenHAB Persistence with for example MySQL)!

It comes with WebUI and Android, iOS and Windows Mobile apps, freely updated by a community!

This is exactly what Almond+ needs. The basic home automation is in place, we just need OpenHAB (or OpenHAL ;-)) on top of it.

Almond+ has a decent processor (1 GHz dual core), so maybe if they have an efficient interpreter? In the presentation they also say that it runs on Raspberry PI which has a max 1 GHz single core ARM CPU. So I see it happening.

http://parleys.com/play/5148922b0364bc17fc56c8c3/chapter10/agenda

This would blow away Fibaro, MiCasaVerde and all the others. Man!

Offline pete

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 07:29:56 pm »
Been playing a bit with OpenHAB on an Intel Atom based touch tablet running Ubuntu 14.XX.  (Intel Atom Z520 (1.33 GHz, 512KB L2 cache))

Runs much better in Linux than same touch tablet running Wintel.

Not sure how well it would do on the Almond +.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:32:33 pm by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline cputoaster

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 04:12:41 am »
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/raspberrypi-1704896.html would suggest that it works more or less out of the box, using the official oracle-optimized java, but with debian instead of openwrt. Now we just need someone with an almond+ to actually try ;-).
https://blogs.oracle.com/hinkmond/entry/freescale_one_box_unboxing_then this would suggest that openwrt is not a problem either. HW wise, I don't hink openhab needs much resources, its supposed to be programmed lean and mean, less ram would just mean that one would have to artificially limit the JVM max ram usage to force more GC.

LGNilsson

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 04:54:55 am »
Keep in mind that the firmware on the Almond+ is loaded into RAM, so the full 512MB isn't available.
Below is the output from "top" at the command line
Code: [Select]
Mem:    432392k total,   114672k used,   317720k free,    11564k buffersShould still be plenty available memory though as we seemingly have some 300MB left to go around.

Also, we have a 750MHz dual core, not a 1GHz. That said, once all the driver work is done, courtesy of a network offload co-processor, the Almond+ will be using very little of the Cortex-A9 part of the SoC when it comes to handling any kind of network traffic, unlike most routers where a large chunk of the CPU is used to handle the network traffic.
As a quick example, I was testing some stuff the other day and used an Asus RT-AC66U which was using 50%+ CPU whereas as the Almond+ was using 15-20%+ doing the same thing and that's without the offload being fully implemented.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:59:21 am by Lars »

Offline FrederikSchack

• Acorn
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 03:54:38 am »
Hi Lars,

If there's no technical issues that prevents OpenHAB from working on Almond+, do we then have a decent chance that it will be implemented at some point?

Best regards,
Frederik

LGNilsson

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 04:57:20 am »
I'm not sure it'll be something we'll be doing, it's at least not something we're planning for the next 12 months, but it's most definitely possible that someone, say one of our developers, could do it.

Offline Automate

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 10:31:55 pm »
After reading a bit more i'm not sure the Almond+ would be suitable to do this.
Since it is based on Java, one would need Java to run on the Almond+, and although I'm sure the Almond+ could run Java if you got it working, Java is quite resource hungry and it would probably eat up too much resources, leaving nothing left for any other stuff.
If so http://www.domoticz.com/ may be another option.  It's free and open source also.

Domoticz is a very light weight Home Automation System that lets you monitor and configure various devices like: Lights, Switches, various sensors/meters like Temperature, Rain, Wind, UV, Electra, Gas, Water and much more. Notifications/Alerts can be sent to any mobile device. Supported platforms:
Unix/Linux, (Raspberry Pi/Cubieboard recommended) Windows
Compatible browsers: Chrome/Firefox/Safari/IE 10+/...

Domoticz is written in C++ the same as the Almond+ SDK
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 10:55:17 pm by Automate »

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 18 queries.