bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond v1 is lacking.. wishing for some BASIC stuffs :(  (Read 7099 times)

Offline BrownChiLD

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Almond v1 is lacking.. wishing for some BASIC stuffs :(
« on: August 12, 2013, 09:34:22 pm »
OPTION TO Easily Turn off wifi radio
OPTION TO Reboot Router via touch menus or browser gui
   - (i think it's weird we don't have this feature built in and i need to mess w/ the power cable!)
OPTION TO Wifi Connected User's view doesnt show IP addres, only mac
   - (another wtf.. IP address is basic requirement/need of people, why almond doesnt have this is beyond me)
   - the LAN / DHCP clients list work alright though, has both IP and MAC
OPTION TO VIEW and CONTROL bandwidth per IP/Connected Client (or range)
   - even the cheap routers from TPLINK has some form of VIEW and CONTROL on bandwidth consumption.. i was really disappointed that almond didnt have such features

There are more basic stuffs that Almond left out, but these for me are some of the truly basic features almond MUST HAVE, specially for the price.

LGNilsson

Re: Almond v1 is lacking.. wishing for some BASIC stuffs :(
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:16:51 pm »
Hi BrownChiLD,

Could you please explain why you'd want to turn the Wi-Fi off on the Almond? As it's a Wi-Fi router, this doesn't make a lot of sense.

Generally there's no need to manually reboot the Almond, all the features that requires a reboot will do it automatically during the configuration process. Could you please expand on why you have to reboot your Almond? Personally, my two units at home has never required a reboot during normal operation and this is why I'm asking.

This is something that can be improved for sure and I'll have a chat with the software team about it.

Again, I'll point this out to the software team. You're not the first person to request this and I think it's on the list of features that they're looking at implementing.

Feel free to leave further suggestions if you feel other things are missing and I'll make sure they get passed along to the software team.

Cheers

Offline GatorEye

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:03:57 am »
I use the feature on my current router to do a scheduled power down to the WiFi and there are at least two good reasons for it.

When I'm asleep, none of my wireless devices are going to need access to the network (Internet). Anything that does is hard wired.  Thus, during my sleeping hours I have it scheduled to shut the WiFi off and turn back on in the morning (this can always be overridden by the WiFi on/off button).

First it provides extra security. How will someone piggyback my network or hack the WiFi when the WiFi is turned off? Granted the chances of anyone actually doing this are slim, but this makes it impossible.

Second, if I can reduce some of the electronic smog in the house, it's a big plus.

I'd definitely vote for that feature in the Almond+.

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 12:12:10 am »
Fair enough, I guess personally I always have devices like my phone connected to the internet over night so it downloads emails etc. automatically.

I've already passed on your comments to the software team, so we'll see what they reply.

Offline pete

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 06:41:08 am »
Here I throttle down all of the touchscreen interfaces at night.  Wireless stuff just uses a cron job/event timer on the machine itself; kind of a pita today.  All wireless tablets are off the internet at night.  Yup one event shuts down everything with an LCD in the house today. 

off on tangent.....

I did try the use of occupancy sensors in a follow me automation thing around the house mode on my wife; very low WAF and she was not up to things automated following her around the house (old fashioned that way I guess).

Ideally it would be nice though to have a "wireless" magic packet wake the wireless devices up. 

Bugged intel about that once a few years back working on a "do wat" kiosk screen that was sort of put anywhere at anytime connect to any means using the internet by any transport.   
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 02:55:25 pm »

Could you please explain why you'd want to turn the Wi-Fi off on the Almond? As it's a Wi-Fi router, this doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm afraid I'm with the original poster on this issue. 

I would like to see a TouchUI option to toggle the Wi-Fi Radios on/off,   and would also like support for cron events to do this as a scheduled task.  Consider this a "security" request.  Many corporate,  and Internet Cafe owners will want the ability to disable Wi-Fi during "quiet hours".   They'll still want the "wired" connections to work,   so that Servers etc can still  perform Cloud-based Backup solutons etc,  or backups to remote servers etc,  but may prefer to not give non-customers "free Intenret access via Wi-Fi during their non-operational hours.   

As a Home user,  I am unlikely to use this functionality here,  but as I intend to recommend Almond+ for my consulting clients,   these are very important features to have in the Router.   Please implement both of these in the Almond+. 
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline kzimmerman

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 10:34:05 pm »
I would really like to have the option to turn off the WIFI as well.  I want to use the Almond as a router, but since it doesn't have 5Ghz I am resorting to using another WIFI and I don't want the Almond to be clogging up the 2.4 Ghz spectrum.  Looking forward to Almond+ but in the meantime, I need to use another access point.   Please include the option to turn off WIFI.

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 20 queries.