Choose style:

Author Topic: Problem with Almond+ setup  (Read 5082 times)

Offline YTN

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Problem with Almond+ setup
« on: July 11, 2014, 01:50:32 am »
Jut got my Almond+ today... great job Securifi!

Here's what I am trying to do... I have a modem / router which connects to the internet. It also acts as a DHCP server.

I am trying to get my Almond+ setup behind it. I would like to have the Almond+ be an AP and basically forward DHCP requests to my router. I setup the WAN side of the router to be a DHCP client with DHCP server disabled, and the WAN side gets an IP from my primary router. For the LAN side, I tried setting up a static IP (192.168.*) but for some reason, it always seems to enable the DHCP server. I can't seem to disable the DHCP server on the LAN side. I tried setting the LAN to be a DHCP client, but then I couldn't connect to the Almond+ at all since it never got a LAN IP.  Also, if I configure the LAN side with a 192.168.* static IP, then I can't seem to get out to the internet.

Anyone have any suggestions? 

LGNilsson

Re: Problem with Almond+ setup
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 01:57:39 am »
As per the included piece of paper with your Almond+, we haven't finished the access point and range extender features, they'll be in the next firmware release which should be ready in the next two weeks.

You should be able to use the Almond+ behind your main router, or you could configure your router to operate in bridge mode, as this technically makes it a dumb modem.

Offline YTN

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 02:18:53 am »
Thanks for the response.

Where can I find instructions on setting up bridge mode? I've searched the forums but couldn't find anything specific.

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 02:26:33 am »
You'd have to consult your service provider or your current router/modem manufacturer, as that's the device you would want to set up in bridge mode.
In most devices it's just a tick box in the settings, although in some cases this doesn't disable the Wi-Fi of the device, just so you know.
Then you'd simply use the Almond+ as your router.

Offline YTN

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 02:37:55 am »
Ah, ok.. I misread your response. I thought you meant setup the Almond+ in bridge mode.

I already have WiFi disabled on the modem.... unfortunately I can't disable DHCP on the modem and have the Almond+ handle that since the modem also handles IPv6 allocations (/64 block assigned from my ISP) within my network and I don't want to take any chances of messing that up.

I guess I'll have to wait until the AP firmware is released.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:48:27 am by YTN »

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 04:07:47 am »
Fair enough, the Almond+ should technically work behind your router, you just end up with double NAT which I know isn't ideal, but it's how I'm using it at home at the moment as my cable modem/router isn't happy in bridge mode and keeps falling over for some reason. My ISP went backwards, as they used to be a small independent service provider that offered fibre, but they merged with a cable company and have now switched to DOCSIS 3.0...  ???

Offline TequilaHeaven

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 06:35:40 pm »
I want the Almond+ in bridge mode, is this still unavailable?  Just received mine today and it's useless to my network unless it will bridge.

Offline kb1ibt

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 11:44:51 pm »
Double NATing will not work for me since I have an ESXi home lab with a full enterprise grade VM appliance as my firewall and web filter already setup and 1/2 my home network is inside the VM network. So setting up the A+ as anything other than a AP is just a waste of time and frustration. So until the new firmware is ready my A+ is just going to have to sit unplugged.

LGNilsson

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 12:00:21 am »
It'll be fixed in the next firmware release which if all goes well will be released this week. Apologies about the delays with the new firmware, but it has a lot of added features, updates and fixes so it's taken slightly longer than we expected to get it out.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 18 queries.