Choose style:

Author Topic: Feature Request: VPN Gateway  (Read 5025 times)

Offline cthree87

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Feature Request: VPN Gateway
« on: February 02, 2017, 12:29:47 pm »
*** If this feature exists hopefully you can tell me where to find & configure it ***

I'd like the Almond to function as a VPN client/gateway. Essentially I have a VPN service (openVPN+TLS/SSL) to the US (from Canada) and I use it to access US versions of Hulu, NetFlix and so on as if I were located in the US rather than Canada. This would only be for certain devices such as AppleTV, Roku, MediaPC, Amazon Echo and so on. The rest of my devices would connect to the Internet normally to keep the VPN traffic usage as low as possible.

As it is I need to run a separate network and AP through a separate gateway running Linux+openVPN serving as a gateway to the VPN for those devices connected to it. Having the Almond+ handle this as would greatly reduce the complications involved.

Perhaps this can be setup with DHCP, assigning certain systems to certain subnets depending on the configuration there. I know the Almond+ has openVPN already installed on it so doing this is little more than a configuration and GUI change. I might try to hack this config myself using SSH but it would be nice to control it from the web UI.

Thanks!

Offline quintin87

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Feature Request: VPN Gateway
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 11:20:01 am »
*** If this feature exists hopefully you can tell me where to find & configure it ***

I'd like the Almond to function as a VPN client/gateway. Essentially I have a VPN service (openVPN+TLS/SSL) to the US (from Canada) and I use it to access US versions of Hulu, NetFlix and so on as if I were located in the US rather than Canada. This would only be for certain devices such as AppleTV, Roku, MediaPC, Amazon Echo and so on. The rest of my devices would connect to the Internet normally to keep the VPN traffic usage as low as possible.

I have essentially the same challenge as you with Almond, but you also need a VPN for Netflix that gives a reliable connection to Canada. It should also rotate IP addresses to avoid the Netflix VPN ban.

Offline Artik

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Feature Request: VPN Gateway
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 11:25:34 am »
I know the Almond+ has openVPN already installed on it so doing this is little more than a configuration and GUI change.

First they'll need to actually fix that openVPN client. The GUI currently doesn't work for most VPN providers, you need to start it via SSH

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.