Choose style:

Author Topic: Strange and very lightly audible noise coming from Almond+  (Read 3962 times)

Offline bLUFF

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Strange and very lightly audible noise coming from Almond+
« on: July 11, 2014, 02:31:50 pm »
My wife heard it first when she sat next to the side-table on which the router was kept. I traded places and keenly heard the noise for a couple of minutes. It was difficult to hear it consistently but its like a buzz which comes and goes at intervals.

Is this a known issue or is something wrong with my unit?

LGNilsson

Re: Strange and very lightly audible noise coming from Almond+
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 10:52:10 pm »
There's nothing wrong with it, this is sadly something that we can't control 100% and it's commonly known as coil whine.
What it comes down to is that one of the components in the power regulation circuit that is causing this noise, but it doesn't have any affect on the overall functionality of the device this happens in.
As we can't pre-test these components it's very hard to avoid this issue entirely and although we've done our best to engineer out this issues, as we did find it during the development of the Almond+, it's an issue that can happen with any power supply or power regulation circuitry.
That said, we only noticed it when something was using the Wi-Fi, so are you hearing this noise constantly and how close do you have to be to the Almond+ to hear it? Admittedly due to the pitch of the noise, different people will notice it more or less or in some cases not at all.
One thing you can try to see if it goes away, is to unplug  your Almond+ and plug it back in again. This may or may not help.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:54:31 pm by Lars »

Offline bLUFF

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 10:19:55 am »
Yes, if its not a hardware issue it should not be a concern at all. I have moved the router to the lower rack of the side-table so that it is farther away from the person sitting on the side of the sofa and hope that my wife doesn't hear it again. :)

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 10:26:16 am »
I had it in a power supply in my PC at one point and it wasn't faint at all as those things are converting mains power. That power supply got swapped out, so trust me, I know how annoying it can be.
In fact, I was the one noticing this issue and alert our engineering team to it and we've done changes to the components to try to eliminate it as much as possible, but it seems like at least one more backer got this issue to.
Is it a constant noise or does it only happen when you use the Wi-Fi, as in the case I noticed during the engineering phase was only happened when data was transferred over the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network.
I will make the engineering team aware of this on Monday though, so any additional details would be helpful.
And as I said, it doesn't have any affect on the functionality, it's simply a slight nuisance.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.