bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Ethernet rj45 plugs  (Read 16008 times)

Offline Vincenzo

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Ethernet rj45 plugs
« on: July 11, 2014, 10:04:43 pm »
I already emailed tech support, but I figured I would come here and see if anyone else was having the same problem as I am.

I just received my almond+ and tried to connect it.  Unfortunately all of the Ethernet cables I tried to plug into would not lock into place and could just be pulled out.  I tried the cables in multiple other devices and had no issues with them locking into place.  The only cable I could get to lock and stay in was the one that came with the router.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

LGNilsson

Re: Ethernet rj45 plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 10:40:52 pm »
I'm surprised this applies to all of the cables you have.
This is sadly a bit of a drawback of the design we did for the Almond+ and although we're aware this is an issue with some Ethernet cables, I'm surprised you're having this with all the cables you have.
I have one or two like that at home, but all the other cables I have connect just fine.
Usually the issues is if you have cables with a plastic protection cap, although I have one other cable I've had some problems with too.
Have you tried pushing them in until they click in properly? There should be sort of a soft click and then a louder click.

Offline Vincenzo

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 11:04:19 pm »
When I push them in I don't get any kind of click.  It's like they aren't going in far enough to engage the lock.  None of my cables have the full dust boot they are all either the slim or eared style.  I will see if I can dig up some other cables and try them out.

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 11:19:33 pm »
That's not good. We've tested with several different cables as we found this issues a bit too late to rectify it, so we got a bunch of different cables and found that there wasn't a problem with most of them.
Terribly sorry about this and I'll forward your feedback to the engineering team.

Offline Vincenzo

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 01:23:02 pm »
I found some other Ethernet cables and was able to get them to snap in and lock into the router.  It looks like those first ones I tried were an anomaly.  The jacks are a little tight though.  Even with the ones that worked I had to push them in then wiggle them from side to side to get the lock to engage.

Offline ardub

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 01:54:37 pm »
Hi Lars and Vincenzo,

I'm seeing the same issue -- all of my existing RJ45 cables do not "click" into my Almond+ and I have to push them in pretty hard to get them to connect. Also, they get disconnected extremely easily -- if I move my Almond+ slightly, they can get disconnected. Once they're connected though, it's fine... as long as my Almond is laying down. I don't think I could ever mount it to the wall unless I bought some new ethernet cables that actually "click" into the jack.

Lars, thanks for providing this feedback to the engineering team, it's quite frustrating.

Offline dbuttke

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 02:23:23 pm »
Same problem here.  I switched to cables that don't have the snagless protection cap and the WAN port was still really hard to get it into.
I only use one LAN port to feed my switch and that was fine with the no cap cable.

Offline XOoET64oOX

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 02:48:16 pm »
I got about half my cables not working.  Lucky I have some extra cables laying around.  From the looks of it, the outer casing space tolerance might be too tight and "unlocking" them when you wiggle the cable.  Or the casing might just be to thick for the snag caps to push thru...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:49:55 pm by XOoET64oOX »

Offline glansberry

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 05:33:41 pm »
FWIW, I also had trouble getting the cable to click.

LGNilsson

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 10:25:38 pm »
We know the casing is a bit on the thick side, but this was adjusted some time ago.
Even so, sorry about this and as I said, I'll bring this up with our mechanical engineer on Monday.

Offline byteless

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 12:48:17 pm »
I noticed that as well and thought it might be my cables, I tried all available cable at home with cap and without cap and When I push them in I don't get any kind of click.

LGNilsson

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 12:54:51 pm »
Did any of you try the included cable?

I'll post up some pictures of cables that can't be used, but we tried about 10 different ones in the office today and only found one that wouldn't connect at all, one that was hard to attach and remove and one that was tricky to remove.

Offline babcocca

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 07:23:04 am »
All of my cables do not work in the LAN ports. The WAN port is unaffected.

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 09:53:53 am »
I have not seen the final design, but I do have a developer unit but doubt there is that much change in the physical design.

The Ethernet ports are slightly recessed so if you have a very large plastic cap on the ethernet cable it might be a problem.
I have some 20 different cables and only a few was a problem these had an unusual large molded plastic around the connector. Some had to be pushed a bit harder some had to be wiggled a bit, but all except for a few worked just fine.

The best are those cables without any plastic cap on them, they will never give you trouble. ;-)

Offline André

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 02:43:00 pm »
I had no issues at all with my dev unit and my cables.

The guys with issues, would you mind sharing some pics of the plugs and maybe measurements of the connector? just for reference so others could watch out when they go buy new cables

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.