Choose style:

Author Topic: Ethernet rj45 plugs  (Read 16005 times)

Offline byteless

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Ethernet rj45 plugs
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 02:52:23 pm »
Did any of you try the included cable?

I'll post up some pictures of cables that can't be used, but we tried about 10 different ones in the office today and only found one that wouldn't connect at all, one that was hard to attach and remove and one that was tricky to remove.

The  included cable plugged in fine.
so now do I have to order the bunch of cables like that?
all these cables are industry standards and router port should take it.

my 2 cents.

LGNilsson

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 11:14:35 pm »
Apologies if this sounds snotty, but there's actually no such thing as an industry standard for Ethernet cables.
The provided cable is a more modern design and are commonly available.
There are a few types of cables that have a hard plastic moulding that extends outside of the clear plastic connector and these types of cables can't be used.
It's also more difficult using cables that has a dust shroud, but I'm using one on my Almond+ at home without any issues at all.

It would be good if you guys could share pictures of the cables you're having problems with.
In as much as this is an issue and we're not trying to say that we didn't make a misjudgment as to how big of a deal this would be, it shouldn't be very hard to find suitable cables.
We'll post some pictures later of the various types that we've tested that works and the few that we've had problems with.

LGNilsson

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 11:59:42 pm »
As promised, here are some pictures of various cables we've tested.

Many of them was the first time we tested with the Almond+ and out of the 14 cables, only two couldn't be used at all. Another three are not recommended. The first one on the left is difficult to remove due to the small size of the RJ45 connector and the other two requires the dust/clip cover to be pulled back (as shown if not entirely clearly on the dark blue cable in the middle) before the connector can be inserted, but both clip in properly.

Again, we're not saying that there isn't a problem, but it's clearly a problem that's easy to solve.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:13:48 am by Lars »

Offline RL_Wood

• Backer
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 02:26:21 pm »
I had the same issues as well.  It turned out that I had to cut the "Cover" off of the cable cupeling.  There was a plastic "Cover" thing on every single one of my cables (all different brands/qualities, etc).  After I took the scissors to them they plugged in just fine.  I was a little surprised to have to modify all my cables though.

LGNilsson

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 01:08:14 am »
Unless the cover is moulded onto the cable, the covers can normally be slid back and off the actual connector and then be pushed back in place after the connector has been inserted.

Offline frichter09

• Backer
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 12:30:03 am »
Same issue here.
Just received my backer unit and 3 out of the 4 cables do not stay connected. The router I used before had no issues at all.
 :-[

LGNilsson

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 01:42:49 am »
Have you tried other types of cables, like the ones in the pictures above?
Or tried to push back the dust/clip protection cap?

Offline frichter09

• Backer
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 02:36:58 am »
Hi lars,
I have not tried other cables but as I said they all fit two different routers I had used before :)

LGNilsson

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 02:51:18 am »
Well, I have one cable with a cap in the unit I have at home and I had no issues with it, but we fully understand that this is frustrating, as it really shouldn't be an issue.

Offline babcocca

• Backer
Loose Ports and Cables Falling Out
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 06:41:00 am »
I looked and searched for the post about the cables falling out and couldn't find it.

The Almond + has been designed with a two step deep socket.

In order to get a solid seat, one must peel back any existing cable hood and apply more pressure than usual. You should have two clicks. I did this and got a sufficient connection.

LGNilsson

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 06:51:00 am »
Posts merged.

Offline thepartyplatypus

• Backer
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 12:49:14 am »
I just got my Almond and none of my wires work, they are all terminated with the same ends. Please provide a link to known ends that stay in the router. I am unable to wall mount this until I reterminate my wires, and the ends I have are apparently no bueno. Anyone have any luck with known connectors?

LGNilsson

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 12:59:45 am »
Did you try the provided cable and made sure that you hear two clicks when you insert it?

Offline Andy

• Backer
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 11:58:48 am »
Hi all,

When i first unpacked the unit and tried plugging in all my ethernet cables, i saw exactly the same thing.  The cables didn't snap into the jack.  However, if you force them down further they do snap in and remain attached even when moving the router.  So, less baby care, more military style! ;)  However, this is the only piece of equipment i experienced this issue with, something is slightly unusual there.

Andy

Offline chevyman142000

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 02:05:42 pm »
See below. I completely agree with Andy.

Jeff

Hi all,

When i first unpacked the unit and tried plugging in all my ethernet cables, i saw exactly the same thing.  The cables didn't snap into the jack.  However, if you force them down further they do snap in and remain attached even when moving the router.  So, less baby care, more military style! ;)  However, this is the only piece of equipment i experienced this issue with, something is slightly unusual there.

Andy

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck