Choose style:

Author Topic: Ethernet rj45 plugs  (Read 16266 times)

Offline ardub

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Ethernet rj45 plugs
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 02:25:01 am »
Agreed -- I pushed really hard and managed to get the cables that didn't click in to click in and stay connected.

Offline madfozi

• Backer
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2014, 08:20:36 am »
what I did is by putting tissue in the port in order to make it fit and "clicked". but for me it is quite frustrating when other equipment/network devices that I am dealing with did not facing the same issue.

-fauzi-
-madfozi-

Offline scottyhoss

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2014, 11:54:38 am »
I had the same issue. I contacted support and almost returned the A+ because I could not get any cables to fit in the uplink port. The other ports seem easier. None of the cables I used had a jacket, or dust cover. Even the included cable was hard to get in though it was ultimately the one that worked. I hope it never goes bad. ;)

One thing i found was that I had the stand installed on the router and it interfered with me being able to push the cable in as hard and as far as it need to be. I removed the stand and could get the cable in, though it was still tough.  I really think that this is something the A+ team should consider going forward into mass production.

LGNilsson

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2014, 12:16:50 am »
We've already addressed this. It's an issue with the actual physical ports and we're changing component supplier.
We're really sorry about this issue, as it's something we discovered too late. It was really not an issue we expected to have and it's frankly quite embarrassing  :-[

Offline gof

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 12:17:38 am »
It's good to see that this issue is being addressed.  I had opened a support ticket as I had missed the thread here (it's not under the "problems" area). I had posted a fair amount of detail in my support ticket. I'll repost that analysis here as I have a suggested "low tech" fix for those affected. I've bolded it below:
I wanted to follow up on this ticket with some additional information.  Upon further testing with both the Almond+ unit, my old router, and a couple of 8 port switches from different manufacturers, I’m confident I know what the issue is.

For all of the 8P8C (aka “RJ45”) jacks, there is a dimensional difference between the sockets on the Almond+ I received and those found on all the other devices I tested. Specifically, the depth between the “bottom” of the jack (where the tip of the male plug contacts) and the inner face of the case (where the latching tab on the male plug engages with the case to “lock” the plug into place) is slightly shorter with the Almond+.  For all the rest of the devices I tested, there is approximately one-half to one millimeter of play (0.5mm-1.0mm) which allows the 8P8C plug to be inserted fully, the latching tab to engage, and then the stress on the socket to release slightly.

I was able, by pushing *very* firmly, to finally engage the latching tabs for several of the jacks (but not all).  This unfortunately leaves the connector housing in compression, stressing the connections to the motherboard.  This stress is likely to increase as the unit is put into service and thermal expansion causes additional pressure on this trapped connector and may lead to an early failure from thermal cycling.

I would suggest you review the ISO 8877 specs and tolerances on the jack. A work around for permanent installations may be to manually file down the latching tab on the plug to be inserted (not the Almond+, the plug) to provide more gap once connected.

Hopefully this potential fix helps others with the issue without requiring purchasing new cables. An inexpensive nail file is probably sufficient to remove a small amount of plastic from the latching tab.

Offline davepmer

• Backer
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 02:31:48 pm »
I had the same problem with the rj45's that I had put on. the store bought ones worked fine.  I went and bought a new batch of rj45 ends and changed them on my cables and then the cables locked in place perfectly.

I would suggest either new cables or new ends if you made your own cables.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 17 queries.