bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: DLNA, Mount Points, FTP  (Read 28732 times)

Offline Takachsin

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
DLNA, Mount Points, FTP
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:20:34 am »
Are these options to enable NAS like functionality?  I've setup a NAS server using NAS4FREE in the past and these options seem very similar.

Can I just plug an external hard drive into the Almond and have it share the media on the hard drive?  If so the media directory for DLNA is listed as /mnt as default.  Would I just create a mnt directory on the hard drive to share it?

LGNilsson

Re: DLNA, Mount Points, FTP
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:26:06 am »
NAS, well, maybe not quite, as at the moment we don't have any kind of user or share management.
What it does enable is network drive sharing.

Yes, you can just plug in an external drive, as long as it's FAT32 or NTFS formatted and then share what's on the drive.
The drive will auto mount, so you'll see something like /mnt/drive_name if the drive has a label, if not it'll appear as /mnt/1_usb_2 or something similar.

Both the FTP server and SAMBA will go directly to the /mnt/ directory and you'll be able to see any drives there.

You can change the password, but currently not the username.

We'll be adding more functionality to this in the future, but everything is working.

Offline cavemanghost

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 01:49:44 pm »
I'm running OSX and the share isn't automatically appearing. If I try to connect to the router address using the samba protocol, it asks me whether I want to log in as a guest or using a username/password. Guest doesn't work, root/root doesn't work and I have no idea what I should be trying. This may be the complete wrong way to do this, but it's the furthest I've gotten so far.

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 05:19:46 am »
Please see http://wiki.securifi.com/index.php?title=Network_storage_-_Almond%2B_2014 for the first set of instructions, more to follow.

Offline robh5791

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 10:14:58 pm »
I am having a slightly different issue. I am using my MacBook Air to access the shared drive on my Almond+ which is set as read/write in the Samba settings and if I try to transfer a file to it, it returns a message that says not enough space. The problem is that there is nearly a gig of free space on this drive so I am not sure why it is giving this error. I am able to view the contents and open files remotely but cannot save to that drive or copy files to that drive. Any help would be great.

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 10:25:24 pm »
It's a known issue and we already have a fix in place for this which will be in the next firmware.

Offline robh5791

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 10:26:39 pm »
Great to hear. Thanks.

Offline cavemanghost

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 08:42:54 pm »
Will future updates enable Mac OS Extended and ExFAT?

LGNilsson

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 09:58:39 pm »
We're considering HFS for Mac support, but as far as exFAT goes, we have to pay a royalty fee to Microsoft, so this is pretty much a no go at this point in time. On top of that, we'd also have to pay a licensing fee to whoever we work with on the drivers and it ends up being a fair bit of money at the end of the day.

Offline Andy

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 11:52:03 am »
Question!

I attached an external USB drive (NTFS formatted) with read/write access to almondplus user.  I can access the drive from my devices at home using wireless and wired connections. 

What does it take to be able to access it over the internet?

Thanks,
Andy

Offline robh5791

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 12:36:45 pm »
I just noticed that I am able to copy a file to the mounted drive from a Windows PC but not from my OS X PC. I am not sure if that is the known issue or not but I figured I would add that bit that I have found. The Windows PC is running 7 and the OS X machine is running Yosemite beta but also did not work on Mavericks on the same machine.

LGNilsson

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 11:45:21 pm »
At the moment we don't have a simple way for accessing your drives over the internet. You'd have to set up a VPN connection, but we want to add support for this in the future. It's a rather large project though and I can't make any suggestions with regards to a timeline when we think this will be done.

As for OS X, we got some issues in the current firmware, but it'll be addressed as it's a minor problem with the configuration files for Samba.

Offline whtvrrob

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 08:26:47 pm »
At the moment we don't have a simple way for accessing your drives over the internet. You'd have to set up a VPN connection, but we want to add support for this in the future. It's a rather large project though and I can't make any suggestions with regards to a timeline when we think this will be done.

As for OS X, we got some issues in the current firmware, but it'll be addressed as it's a minor problem with the configuration files for Samba.

Any chance you could give the updated smb.conf (or a list of edits to be made) to those of us who can make the changes ourselves? I'm wanting to get this all set up and working but can't without write access over SMB.

LGNilsson

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 02:25:33 am »
It's not that simple, but the OS X issues should hopefully be resolved in the new firmware that we're releasing tomorrow.

Offline robh5791

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 10:08:54 am »
I installed the new firmware and the functionality is still not working with my Mac osx desktop PC. I can read but when I try to write, it states no available space.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck