bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: DLNA, Mount Points, FTP  (Read 28731 times)

Offline whtvrrob

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: DLNA, Mount Points, FTP
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 03:08:42 pm »
I too am still having the same issues with samba with the new firmware on mac os x. Any ETA on a fix or any workarounds (for smb, not the FTP workaround).

LGNilsson

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 09:30:22 pm »
Yeah, FTP is hardly the same as Samba so that's not a work around.
I was told this had been fixed in R065, but apparently not.
I'll find out tomorrow what's going on.

Offline Lectoid

• Backer
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 04:19:55 pm »
I know that OSX can't write to an NTFS drive directly. Like if you plug a NTFS formatted USB drive in to a Mac, it cannot write to it. I didn't think this carried over to Samba, but that might be something to look at.

LGNilsson

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 12:08:04 am »
No, that's not related as we have an NTFS driver on the Almond+ that handles the drive, so the OS on the device trying to write to the drive is sort of taken out of the equation due to this.

Offline knilob

• Backer
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 10:09:26 pm »
Jumping on the bandwagon for not being able to write to a Samba mounted NTFS drive from Mac OS X 10.9.4. I just purchased a new 4TB USB3 to use as an SMB drive, and this it what I bump into after getting everything connected. :-(

Any word on why this didn't make it into R065?

LGNilsson

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 03:54:37 am »
Hopefully we'll have a fix for this in the next firmware release.
As mentioned though, we'll be upgrading to a more recent build of Samba, but that'll take some time.

Offline atrueresistance

• Backer
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 08:54:00 am »
Are you planning support for AFP in the future?

LGNilsson

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 11:17:33 am »
No, Apple is moving to Samba so it doesn't make any sense for us to spend resources on something Apple is dropping support for slowly.
That said, we are planning much better Samba support though and we have a couple of new software engineers joining that will help with this among other things.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:19:44 am by Lars »

Offline obmd1

• Backer
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 09:53:19 pm »
Any instructions on getting this functionality for Mac would be appreciated. I see the instructions you link for an NAS device for windows, but we need the analog for mac, and what file formats should be used. Thanks!

Offline illie

• Backer
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 04:49:44 am »
The writing with OS X issue is caused because OS X tries to check how much free space exists before writing a file. On the Almond+ it is sharing the directory /mnt which is part of the root filesystem and the root shows up as 100% full (due to the way the rom & overlay combining works.) To get around this, Samba needs to share the specific mount points for each USB device that is plugged in. Windows doesn't verify the amount of free space before writing a file, so it isn't impacted by this issue.

I modified a hotplug.d script to add/remove uci sambashare entries when a USB storage device is inserted/removed, and cause the smb.conf to be regenerated with a share specific to that mount. The (easier) alternative until Securifi releases their own implementation of this is to modify /tmp/smb.conf and add another entry similar to [share] but with a different name and the correct /mnt/usb/devicename path.

LGNilsson

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 06:47:41 am »
We've worked out the problem and hopefully we'll be able to release a fix for this in the next firmware release.

Offline Rhynri

• Backer
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 09:29:10 pm »
We're considering HFS for Mac support, but as far as exFAT goes, we have to pay a royalty fee to Microsoft, so this is pretty much a no go at this point in time. On top of that, we'd also have to pay a licensing fee to whoever we work with on the drivers and it ends up being a fair bit of money at the end of the day.

How about EXT3 support?  It seems to have mounted alright for me, but since I can't remember the folder structure, I haven't attempted setting things up yet.

Offline joltdude

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 07:06:55 pm »
NAS, well, maybe not quite, as at the moment we don't have any kind of user or share management.
What it does enable is network drive sharing.

Yes, you can just plug in an external drive, as long as it's FAT32 or NTFS formatted and then share what's on the drive.
The drive will auto mount, so you'll see something like /mnt/drive_name if the drive has a label, if not it'll appear as /mnt/1_usb_2 or something similar.

Both the FTP server and SAMBA will go directly to the /mnt/ directory and you'll be able to see any drives there.

You can change the password, but currently not the username.

We'll be adding more functionality to this in the future, but everything is working.

So whose the NTFS driver from? Paragon or Tuxera?
The Paragon driver is flakey at best...

LGNilsson

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 10:33:36 am »
Yes, EXT3 works.

Currently we're using Paragon as the license was included with the SoC, but this might change in the future.

Offline habeatgenmoint

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2014, 01:37:57 am »
Is there any plan on replacing ufsd with ntfs-3g? I've just learned the hard way that the Paragon driver has very poor support regarding symlinks and hardlinks  :(

Also, it would be nice to have openssh, which supports sftp.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:39:36 am by habeatgenmoint »

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.