Choose style:

Author Topic: Wifi performance is extremely poor  (Read 22542 times)

Offline bobbydigital

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Wifi performance is extremely poor
« on: July 13, 2014, 07:10:03 pm »
I just got my Almond+ as I was a Kickstarter backer.. I was initially underwhelmed with the screen and configuration options... seemed very basic. Missing things like WPS, fixed IP address assignment through DHCP, etc.  However, I want mostly concerned about performance.

I currently have a desktop PC with an Asus AC68 PCIe 802.11ac wifi card (http://www.asus.com/Networking/PCEAC68/) in it, and an Asus RT-AC68U
802.11ac+n router (https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/).  The Router is a gigabit ethernet router.

I'm amazingly lucky to live in a building in Seattle that has gigabit internet through CondoInternet.net for only $80/month. Blows comcast away.

For the test, I left my existing Asus router connected to the wall to my ISP, and connect the Almond+ through the existing Asus router.

Connect my desktop PC through Wifi to the Asus router, I'm getting these speeds:

450 Mbps download, 466 Mbps upload
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3622770936

Through the Almond+ I'm getting much slower speeds:

207 Mbps download, 227 Mbps upload
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3622771822

Why is the Almond+ so much slower?!

Offline Tiger Woods

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Wifi performance is extremely poor
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:34:52 pm »
You might need to adjust the settings on the A+.  I noticed that by default, both the N and AC selections were set to slower speed: Set the AC connection to 11ACVHT80 and then see if the speeds are comparable.

Offline bobbydigital

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:42:35 pm »
You might need to adjust the settings on the A+.  I noticed that by default, both the N and AC selections were set to slower speed: Set the AC connection to 11ACVHT80 and then see if the speeds are comparable.

Where do I go to do this? I didn't see any of this configuration in the menu setup.

Offline brycied00d

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 08:25:07 pm »
Those settings are configured in the web UI, click the appropriate 2.4/5GHz network, then click the Advanced button and you'll see the drop-down.

Offline aaronb

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 09:41:58 pm »
Those settings are configured in the web UI, click the appropriate 2.4/5GHz network, then click the Advanced button and you'll see the drop-down.

Can I request some additional clarification on the steps required in order to do this?  When I log in to the web UI, and switch the tab to router, I get the menu with the multi-colored bars.  Clicking on the blue bar that says Wireless Settings does nothing.  Clicking on the wrench on the right side of the blue bar just highlights the wrench. Should this be doing something?  The arrow below the wrench turns down as if a menu is supposed to open, but nothing actually happens. 

Or am I completely in the wrong place?

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 10:04:47 pm »
I think you've mixed things up here a little bit.
You need to access your router by typing in the IP address of your router in your web browser, i.e. 10.10.10.254.
The options on the connect.securifi.com site are currently very limited and not fully implemented.

Offline Tiger Woods

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 10:56:29 pm »
Login to whatever your router IP is set as (the default is 10.10.10.254).  Then select the Wireless 5GHz box.

Click the Advanced Settings tab and change the mode to 11ACVHT80, then hit the Save button down at the bottom.  Probably no need to change the channel unless you have a lot of other people in the area with AC routers (I have the only 5GHz network in range of my house).  You can use programs such as inSSIDer to minimize conflicts.

Update:
For the 2.4 GHz network (unless you need some backward compatibility), it should be set to 11NGHT40.  You can also optionally set it to 11NGHT40PLUS if you are broadcasting on channels 1-7 or 11NGHT40MINUS if broadcasting on channels 5-11.  See additional information HERE.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:40:10 am by Tiger Woods »

Offline aaronb

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 11:29:03 pm »
Got it, things are working great now! We had 19 devices on my network today (all of the family was visiting) and when I tried playing a video from my Roku, it crashed the whole thing.  I have spent several hours on the forums tonight tweaking and reading and learning about my new router.  I'm very pleased with the information I found here!  Tiger Woods, thanks a lot for the walkthrough- the screenshots were very helpful!

Still have to put the router to the test tomorrow with a bunch of devices running and roku/netflix streaming and see how the new changes I made handle it.

Offline skidoctor

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 08:20:05 pm »
I am experiencing very poor 2.4 ghz performance where my 5 ghz. Is providing full through put. Typical through puts are in the 2 mbs range for my 2 ghz connection and 50 mbs for the 5 ghz connection. Curious to know if anyone has run into a similar situation? Btw the router is pretty impressive and really look forward to future updates and apps!

LGNilsson

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 09:57:11 pm »
Can all of you please send your logs by going to help, Send Logs, Send logs in the LCD UI and then PM or email me your 5GHz MAC address and we'll get this looked into ASAP.

Offline skidoctor

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 10:11:15 pm »
Sent you Logs and my MAC address - look forward to seeing what is going on! Thank you!

Offline bobbydigital

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 02:06:32 am »

In advanced settings, this was my setup that was already saved:

AC = 11ACVHT80
N = 11NGHT20

Can all of you please send your logs by going to help, Send Logs, Send logs in the LCD UI and then PM or email me your 5GHz MAC address and we'll get this looked into ASAP.

I'll send the logs shortly.

LGNilsson

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 02:15:54 am »
N = 11NGHT20 is 150Mbps for 2.4GHz whereas the 11NGHT40 options are 300/450Mbps depending on how fast the other end can receive data.

Offline skidoctor

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 07:28:33 pm »
i noticed there seems to be another thread on the same topic but will stick here :-)
i have tried a number of settings with a reboot and does not seem to make much difference on 2.4
here is what i am seeing:
Almond+ 2.4
ping 37 Down 8.8 Up 10.2 (note this is right on top of the Almond any distance away it drops off quickly)
Airport
ping 37 Down 30.4 Up 28.9
Almond+ 5
ping 48 Down 58 Up 25
Airport 5
ping 46 Down 47 Up 35
Have tried changing channels with no effect. Will try to move it to an RF freer environment to see what happens next and will play with the settings some more.

Offline akashk

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 10:31:06 pm »
OK, I am going to add to the WiFi woes. I have never been able to connect to the 5GHz - after several hard reset attempts. The 5 GHz ssid shows up and disappears and fails to connect. Even the connection to the 2.4 GHz is flaky at best. I have done my 5th reset in 7 days. Attached is a screenshot - 5 GHz refuses to show any signal bars and says 802.11a and the 2.4 GHz reflects a b/g connection. I have sent you my logs.
@ Lars, I will PM you my MAC addresses as well. Please let me know what else you need.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck