Choose style:

Author Topic: IRIS compatability & any update on API  (Read 8684 times)

Offline mrv777

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
IRIS compatability & any update on API
« on: July 14, 2014, 11:52:50 am »
Hello,

I was wondering if sensors from Lowes' IRIS line of products are compatible with Almond+ as some are very affordable:
http://www.lowes.com/Iris-Products/_/N-1z0ym5g/pl#!

Also, is there any update on API access to the Almond+?
I think it would promote growth through community support and help out a lot with getting new features added and worked on  :)

Thank you!

Edit:  I forgot one more question, what about IP camera compatibility?  I would love to add my Foscams to the Home Automation interface too.

LGNilsson

Re: IRIS compatability & any update on API
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 12:22:52 pm »
No and yes... Let me explain.

IRIS has an extra layer of software that prevents their ZigBee sensors to connect to anything but their gateway, so they're no go.

On the other hand, the Z-Wave sensors will work, as they're not allowed to put any extra software on them due to the fact that they need to pass the Z-Wave certification.

We don't have an API as such, we have an SDK, but it's C++ based. We're considering an API, but it's some 6-12 months out at best, as we're still a fairly small company with limited resources.

Currently there's no support for cameras, but it's something that has been discussed at length and it's something we want to add.

Offline mrv777

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 01:21:42 pm »
Lars,

Thank you for getting back to me.  So Iris has Zigbee and Zwave sensors, and their Zwave ones will work.  Do you know how I would find out which one is which.  For example, this one just seems say Iris, I can't find if it is Zwave or Zigbee: http://www.lowes.com/pd_388558-41166-DWS901_4294713508__?productId=3735305&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Thanks you for letting me know!

As for the API, I'm glad to hear it is still being considered.  I believe it will be very useful.  I do have another question than though, since their is no API and if there will be one it's a year away still: will your app ever work directly to the Almond+ instead of going through your cloud service?
I ask because if say my internet went out while I'm at home (or your servers went down for some unseen reason), it seems like currently I wouldn't be able to use the home automation on my phone/tablets even though my home network to working because I can't connect to the cloud service.

Thank you again

Offline dbuttke

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:12:42 pm »
From what I understand the iris stuff that has the zwave logo and says "speaks Zwave" will work.  Check out the packaging in store.

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 09:15:37 pm »
The one you linked to well not work and as pointed above, it will say on the packaging in they're Z-Wave.

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 01:56:51 am »
As for the API, I'm glad to hear it is still being considered.  I believe it will be very useful.  I do have another question than though, since their is no API and if there will be one it's a year away still: will your app ever work directly to the Almond+ instead of going through your cloud service?
I ask because if say my internet went out while I'm at home (or your servers went down for some unseen reason), it seems like currently I wouldn't be able to use the home automation on my phone/tablets even though my home network to working because I can't connect to the cloud service.

The app does use the cloud servers, but you can point your browser to the router and access your sensors from there through the local network.

Offline sorphin

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 07:11:20 pm »
Extra layer of protection? I'm the guy that sent you links to all the script work, etc that a guy in AZ did to interface IRIS sensors with a PI and an arduino.. I've expanded on those myself and talk to my IRIS sensors with a pi and a python script and even wrote a ghetto-tastic webpage to show me the status based on the sqlite3 db info.  There's no 'special crypto' that an IRIS sensor is using. All we had to do was configure an XBee Series 2 module (ZigBee) with the right settings, send the appropriate responses to pair, and the IRIS sensors work. I've worked with the door/window sensor(s) and the smartplug.

I've proposed already to working with you guys @securifi to make this work.  My proposition stands. I don't need to tie up your developers and so on, i'm a programmer myself.

-daniel

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck