Choose style:

Author Topic: DDNS  (Read 15982 times)

Offline akashk

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
DDNS
« on: July 14, 2014, 07:54:39 pm »
Upon enabling the service and adding my details, the Last Update Status shows: Update Output: nohost.
I am using the free service from changeip. Any ideas?

Offline Tiger Woods

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: DDNS
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 12:53:21 pm »
I'd like some input as well.  I've tried a couple of the different options listed as compatible with openwrt, but I always keep getting a 'badauth' response.  I think it may be some difference in the configuration of 'luci-app-ddns' and 'luci-app-ddns-simple' [the latter of which is installed on the router].

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 12:09:11 am »
I've informed the software team about this and it'll be investigated.

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 02:11:55 am »
This issue has been verified and we're working on a fix for it.

Offline The19th

• Backer
DDNS on R065
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 03:47:52 am »
Ok, Firmware R065 no longer uses luci-app-ddns-simple and is back to using luci-app-ddns (yay!)

Though I can't seem to get it to work with "-- custom --"

I'm using DNS-O-Matic (from the OpenDNS folks)

From what I gathered based on this post on the OpenWRT forums, I have the following set:

Enable: Checked
Service: -- custom --
Custom update-URL: https://[USERNAME]:[PASSWORD]@updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?hostname=[DOMAIN]&myip=[IP]&wildcard=NOCHG&mx=NOCHG&backmx=NOCHG
Hostname: all.dnsomatic.com // (…to update all my linked domains)
Username: (dnsomatic username)
Password: (dnsomatic password)
Source of IP address: network
Network: wan
Check: 10 min
Force: 72 hours

But I can't get it to work…  Anyone else have any luck with the custom setting?

I also tried it with another free service, DNSDynamic using the settings from their API page and had no luck either.

A reply to that OpenWRT topic above also suggested to uncheck "Use DNS servers advertised by peer" setting under WAN > Advanced, but toggling that didn't seem to have any effect.

Offline thepeel

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 11:40:11 pm »
I'm having the same issue here and have tried all of the same things. I'm using dyndns.org and tried the dyndns.org option from the dropdown but that didn't work. I have a pro account so I don't know if that affects anything.

Also it would be nice if there was a force update button or at least a way for it to login and check to see if your credentials are good. I know mine are, but it's not updating.

Offline Tiger Woods

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 10:51:15 pm »
In regards to using dnsdynamic, there appears to be an issue with wget.  I'm getting the following:

Code: [Select]
root@AlmondPlus-CLC:/usr/lib/ddns# ./dynamic_dns_updater.sh myddns
update_url=http://[USERNAME]:[PASSWORD]@www.dnsdynamic.org/api/?hostname=[DOMAIN]&myip=[IP]
force seconds = 86400
check seconds = 3600
old process id (if it exists) = "15629 root 1436 S /bin/sh /usr/lib/ddns/dynamic_dns_updater.sh mydd
ns 0"
time_since_update = 0 hours
Running IP check...
current system ip = REAL_IP
registered domain ip = 222.222.222.222
update necessary, performing update ...
updating with url="http://MYREALUSENAME:MYREALPASSWORD@www.dnsdynamic.org/api/?hostname=MYREALHOSTNAME&myip=MYREALIPADDRESS"
Connecting to www.dnsdynamic.org (84.45.76.100:80)
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.0 401 Authorization Required
Update Output:

update complete, time is: Sun Aug 17 22:22:49 EDT 2014

I'm trying out some alternate methods, but no luck as of yet.

LGNilsson

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 11:35:29 pm »
We're working on fixing the DDNS stuff, we're aware that there are some issues and it will hopefully be addressed in the next firmware release.

Offline Tiger Woods

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 11:45:38 pm »
OK.  I'm completely baffled as to why this is working the way it is:
I have the following script,

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh

WANIF="eth0"
MYHOST="MYHOSTNAME"
USERNAME="MYUSERNAME"
PASSWORD="MYPASSWORD"

MYIP=`ifconfig ${WANIF} |grep -o -E 'inet addr:([0-9.]+)' |grep -o -E '([0-9.]+)'`
URL="http://${USERNAME}:${PASSWORD}@www.dnsdynamic.org/api/?hostname=${MYHOST}&myip=${MYIP}"
/usr/bin/wget -O - --no-check-certificate "$URL"

And this actually works to update DDNS from the router (I just ran the script directly and set it up to run on a cron).

Considering this works, I thought I could just modify the wget params in the dynamic_dns_updater.sh script to match the ones in this script and that should fix the issue.... nope.  Still getting the 401 auth issue.

At least this workaround will "solve" my ddns issue for now.

Offline Tiger Woods

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 12:14:57 am »
Ok, figured out the problem that's causing the auth issue.  The dns updater is escaping out symbols in the username provided from the ddns config file, thus wget is returning an auth failure (specifically for me this is the '@' sign since my email is my username).

Within the /usr/lib/ddns directory is a file called url_escape.sed.  I removed the line from this file containing the @ to %40 escape and now ddns updates successfully.

Offline boonesimpson

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 11:08:00 pm »
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I am unable to use DUCKDNS.org's custom url either.

LGNilsson

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 05:07:54 am »
It appears to be an issue with how @ are being handled and we're working on a fix.

Offline noneuclidean

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 08:03:39 am »
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I am unable to use DUCKDNS.org's custom url either.

I was able to get DuckDNS working, but it took some extra steps beyond just filling out the fields as a custom service.  This was my first time using SSH and VI, so I was kinda all over the place, but I think the key steps were the following:

I have an extremely limited understanding of OpenWRT, but looking back now I think if you do the first step then DuckDNS shows up as an option in the GUI and you may not need to do the second step.  From there I just filled in the fields as specified in the DuckDNS instructions.

Offline boonesimpson

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 02:47:24 pm »
I was able to get DuckDNS working, but it took some extra steps beyond just filling out the fields as a custom service.  This was my first time using SSH and VI, so I was kinda all over the place, but I think the key steps were the following:

IT WORKED
Yeah I didn't do step 2 and just configed it through open wrt.

Thanks so much.

Offline The19th

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 05:22:37 pm »
Within the /usr/lib/ddns directory is a file called url_escape.sed.  I removed the line from this file containing the @ to %40 escape and now ddns updates successfully.

I removed this entry based on your experience and now DNSDynamic entries are updating using the "--custom--" service.

Considering how many services use email (with the @ symbol) as the username, I wonder why it's escaped by default.

While I'd like to update the /etc/config/ddns file to include new server entries, I'm afraid (ok, lazy) of having to re-edit it when new A+ firmware gets released.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 19 queries.

bottleneck