Choose style:

Author Topic: More or less can't make use of my Almond+  (Read 3941 times)

Offline IanBevan

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
More or less can't make use of my Almond+
« on: October 31, 2014, 09:03:57 pm »
Hi

So, I received my Kickstarter Almond+ probably 2 months ago. I tried setting it up as an access point on my 802.11n network but when I do that, I get odd networking errors out of Windows. Even with the R066 firmware update. So, OK, I figure known issues with AP mode, move on. 

Next I set it up as a range extender. That works for a while (hours maybe? I don't remember). Only to find out that the connection then drops out - by which I mean, my PC could connect to the Almond, but there was no internet connectivity.

In the meantime, I had ordered a Z-Wave heating controller  - 2gig CT100. That arrived, and will not connect to the Almond+. Of course I have no idea if that's the fault of the Almond+ or of the heating controller. I am a little loathed to buy another z-wave product just to find out - they're pretty expensive, especially when you consider shipping to New Zealand. So I gave up on home automation.

Finally today I decided get the Almond+ out of the cupboard and make it my primary internet router, in place of the Cisco E3000 I have (which I have running Tomato 1.32... I say this only because it demonstrates I'm technically savvy). And guess what... the Almond+ won't connect to the internet. I walk through the wizard, and select Manual IP - I have a cable modem here, with a static IP address. I enter the static IP, gateway and so forth, then the almond+ saves its settings and then says it cannot connect to the internet. Yes, I have tried rebooting the modem, no difference.

So what I have here is a paperweight. I am unimpressed. It can't do anything it should do.

Edit: to add, when I signed up to kickstarter I figured it would not be a totally smooth ride, and I'm OK with that. But having my Almond+ not useful at all is a bit much.

Where to from here?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:36:53 pm by IanBevan »

LGNilsson

Re: More or less can't make use of my Almond+
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 11:22:30 pm »
Sorry to hear about all your problems, let's see if we can's solve some of them.

The access point issue will be fixed in R067, which I hope we'll finally have ready for release next week.

The CT100's are a bit fiddly to add and if they're not pairing for some reason, try going into Add Sensor, then select Remove first, do the same procedure on the CT100 as you would when you add it to a gateway and it'll be reset, then try adding it again to the Almond+.To add the CT100, press the menu button, tap on Radio on the LCD which should change to r1,  tap on Radio/Mate and it should say Link under the radio tower and once it's paired the word Mate should stop flashing.

That said, saying that you're in New Zealand, did you get a US or New Zealand Almond+? As New Zealand uses a different Z-Wave frequency compared to the US, so US Z-Wave devices wouldn't work with a New Zealand Almond+. This is a downside of Z-Wave, as there are multiple regional frequencies, as per - http://z-wave.sigmadesigns.com/docs/Z-Wave_Frequency_Coverage.pdf
New Zealand shares frequency with Australia and Brazil and that's it, so you can only use Z-Wave devices made for that specific frequency if you got a New Zealand specific Almond+. It's also technically illegal to use radio transmitters that are using unapproved frequencies in most countries.

Cable modems can be a bit finicky and as per the included quick start guide, they may need to be unplugged to work with a new router. In R066 you can also try going to Status, Network in the LCD UI and tap on Release and then Renew under WAN IP address as this should force the modem to update its IP address to the router.

Hopefully this helps explain some of the issues you're having. 

Offline IanBevan

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 08:01:25 pm »
OK thanks.

From the top... I'll try the new firmware with AP mode and report back.

I didn't realise z-wave was regional. That's disappointing but obviously my bad - the CT100 I have was imported from the US. I'll try to find a local supplier (that could be challenging I think). I needed a reason to build my own ZigBee arduino-powered heating controller, so I guess this might be it...

I'll have another go with the cable modem.

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 04:16:36 am »
We're working on support for the CentraLite Pearl thermostat - http://www.centralite.com/index.php/products/3-series/pearl-thermostat/
It's ZigBee and works globally.
Right now they're only available from Best Buy in the US though http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/peq-home-automation-126024

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 25 queries.

bottleneck