Choose style:

Author Topic: Angry and Disappointed  (Read 18906 times)

Offline fgtech

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Angry and Disappointed
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 10:42:49 pm »
I just had my first read through this topic and, I have to say, I should have popped some popcorn first!

There certainly are some rants. To anyone (in the US) who is disappointed, please feel free to get in touch with me. Assuming you haven't thrown it out the window and damaged it, I'll buy your unit for the price you paid plus reasonable shipping. I can already see that I'll want another one of these. Boxing up your unit and trying again later is also a perfectly reasonable response if you don't have the temerity to walk on the cutting edge.

To the folks at Securifi, thank you for your hard work and for the solid hardware foundation upon which we can build. Although it's surely disheartening to hear such vitriolic comments, it should be encouraging that the product has inspired such passion. We all have high expectations; some just seem to have less patience for our eventual arrival in The Future. A few firmware iterations down the road I expect that most of us will be boasting about how we backed this project and knew it when it was "just" a Kickstarter.

Just one specific compliment, small though it may seem: today is the shift in daylight savings time for those of us in the USA and I didn't have to change a thing to have the router pick up the new time correctly. That's as it should be, of course, but it's more than I can say for several other devices in this house that really ought to know better. I know it has caused you some headaches, but thank you for your commitment to OpenWRT and the path of open source.

Now excuse me, please, while I go reset the time on my furnace.

Offline sleepingpython

• Backer
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 03:09:55 am »
im disappointed but at least Securifi gave me an option to receive a refund.

I have provided the same information in the forum.

http://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,2182.0.html

I have been through this topic with Lars before on whether the Almond+ is still in beta (or not) and clearly we have differing views. Although i signed up for kickstarter, i did not sign up to be a beta tester, much less having to wait for firmware updates for the almond+ to provide functionality which was originally promised.

So guys, credit has to be given to Lars and Securifi for keeping all of us engaged on email/forums/updates. Its fantastic for a company to engage its consumers in such a way. However, the reality is this - if i didn't have to fork up more cash to pay for the shipment to Taipei, i would have returned this a month ago.

I hope u guys find some peace in this tech support forums. if not, just go get your refunds.

Cheers

Offline sorphin

• Backer
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 06:42:45 am »
I have 2 A+'s and have had 0 issues with them. No overheating (even laying down), and such.. Anything related to the firmware is going to be the same for everyone until they get the bugs ironed out.. the only issue i've even had was one of the power bricks has a buzz to it, and I had a replacement in 2 days. The A+'s themselves have been rock solid.

I guess I must be in the minority, but I love my unit, far better than an Airport I've ever owned. Now, am I ready to rip out the Airport Extreme I have at home for the family and replace it with an Almond+? Not yet, but I don't see it as far off. Save for a couple bricking incidents (all my fault from screwing around with settings and features I had no idea what I was doing with (side note: backups and Google are your friend)) and a touch screen failure (still not sure I didn't cause that), I haven't had an issue with mine that was not my fault. Yes, configuring it to your liking takes time (I think my other posts on here show that) and to be honest, I'm still configuring mine. I turned VPN on the other day to see if it worked. It does, and it took three minutes to set up, drastically less than when I configured VPN in OS X Server. Are LuCI and the touchscreen limited in what they can do? Yes, very much so compared to OpenWRT (otherwise known as the beauty that lives on port 91), but they are insanely helpful for quick things. There's no bloat to them, and I love that. All of the management interfaces I see as functions in code: they're built to do one thing, and one thing well.
And I, for one, think they do.

Offline spooky123

• Backer
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 10:00:20 am »
I have 2 A+'s and have had 0 issues with them.

I only have one and it has worked great for me. 

LGNilsson

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 10:04:59 am »
We fully understand that after all of the delays, there were certain expectations we didn't meet when it comes to both the software, the stability and what ever else people are having problems with.
That said, it was a matter of us shipping then, or shipping now. I think some of you would've murdered us if we were only starting shipments now.

As mentioned in the firmware thread. this week we're going to release two firmwares.
R067 which includes all the fixes and updates, but not the new Wi-Fi driver
R067 something beta which will include the same fixes and updates, but it'll feature the new Wi-Fi drivers, although it'll be without the range extender as it's still having some issues with the new drivers that we're working in solving.

That said, we decided to release the R067 something beta to everyone due to the fact that it seems to solve 99% of the Wi-Fi issues people are having based on the feedback we've had from those that have tested it.
It's not ideal do have two firmwares, but it is what it is.

R067 will also include support for push notifications, BUT it'll take a little bit of time before this will be available as we have to update both our cloud platform and the mobile apps to support this.
There'll also be initial support for the Philips Hue hub, it pairs very nicely with the Almond+ and at least the regular bulbs that you have connected to the hub automatically appears in the Connected Sensors app in the LCD UI. Again, we're still working on adding support in the other UI's, but I've asked the Android app team to at least have basic on/off and dimming support there as quickly as possible.

We also have a much improved keyboard for the LCD, a new, improved setup wizard, support for more sensors and general overall improvements. I don't have the full release notes yet, but I'll be posting everything on the blog and Kickstarter as soon as it's ready.

All I'm trying to say here is that we're not sitting idly on our hands doing nothing, progress is being made, it's just not always as quick as I'd like, because just like you guys, I'm actually using the Almond+ at home as my main router. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't had any major problems. Are there things missing? Of course there is and because I'm the guy in the company that's the closest to you guys, I'm also the person pushing the hardest for things to be fixed. It's not an easy job, as I have to justify why something should be done ahead of something else, but please understand that I'm on your side as long as your requests are reasonable.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck