Choose style:

Author Topic: Should include instructions on factory reset of cable modems  (Read 4361 times)

Offline brendanlong

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
I had some trouble getting my Almond+ to connect to the internet with a cable modem. After a bunch of trial, error and research, I realized that just powering the modem off wasn't enough, so I followed these instructions for my modem to reset it:

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&docid=2316d496830448779f35e2430ace446f_5587.xml

I suspect the instructions are similar for most, so it might be useful to include instructions like that in the manual (hold down the reset button on the back of your cable modem for 30 seconds, wait for it to go through its startup sequence, then plug the almond+ back in).

LGNilsson

Re: Should include instructions on factory reset of cable modems
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 10:04:52 pm »
Interesting. Normally it's enough to power off the modem for a minute and then re-connect and we have included instructions in the box explaining this.
A reset could cause the modem to lose its settings, so this might not be a good idea in all cases.
Who is your service provider if I may ask?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:09:47 pm by Lars »

Offline dbuttke

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 10:11:25 pm »
What is your cable company?
I have a lot of experience in this area and this is very far beyond the norm...at least in the USA.

A reboot of the cable modem is necessary each time you connect a new piece of network equipment because the modem is expecting a certain MAC address that it had already learned. The reboot lets it relearn the new one and start over so to speak.
Encouraging people to factory reset equipment isn't generally a good idea and I think you have a cable co. that does things differently than the norm or some problematic modem.

Offline brendanlong

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 03:52:17 pm »
My ISP is Charter. I also found that I lose my internet connection when I change settings on the admin page, and then need to do a factory reset on the modem to make it work again (normal resets don't seem to help at all). I've considered calling them, but it's not clear to me if this is an issue on their end.

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:27:06 pm »
Interesting. I'll check with our support team to see if they're aware of this, since we have a lot of Almond customers and some of those must be using Charter.

Offline brendanlong

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:58:15 am »
Specifically, I have a Cisco DPC3008 modem, if that information is useful to you. Let me know if there's anything I should try. The router seems to be stable if I don't mess with it, so that's good at least.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.