Choose style:

Author Topic: Sensors stop connecting  (Read 6281 times)

Offline robh5791

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Sensors stop connecting
« on: July 21, 2014, 07:55:23 pm »
I have two outlet sensors that I bought through the Securifi site with the Almond+ and a door sensor of the same brand and while the door sensor has not had this issue, both outlet sensors will work for some time and then stop connecting for some reason. I have redone the sync between one of the sensors at least twice since getting it connected initially about 4 days ago. The second worked fora f ew hours after initially setting it up this afternoon and is not connecting as of right now. When I go into the Almond connect web app, the sensor shows as connected but when I try to turn them on or off, they say cannot connect to sensor. I am not sure why they will work for a brief period and then stop working. Now, while the sensors do this, the door sensor works perfectly fine after the initial setup up last week with no disconnection issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline robh5791

• Backer
Re: Sensors stop connecting
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:09:49 pm »
An update, I unpaired one of the sensors to re-pair it and now cannot get that one to pair at all. I have rebooted the Almond twice and the router is not seeing the outlet sensors. It still shows the door sensor without issue.

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:01:37 pm »
And you're sure you've reset the sensors properly?
Presumably you've seen this? http://wiki.securifi.com/index.php?title=How_to_associate_Securifi_ZigBee_sensors_-_Almond%2B_2014
It needs to be updated but explains how to add and remove.

We haven't seen any disconnect issues, so can you do me a favour and send your log files, Help, Send Logs, Send Logs in the LCD UI, as soon as it stops working. Then PM or email me your 5GHz MAC address and I'll get our software team to look into what's going on.

Offline ericleone

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 11:25:47 am »
I experienced a similar issue except the couple sensors I added (the electrical switches received with the Almond+) are now completely inaccessible. A reboot of the router did not help and neither did removing the sensors (I used the remove all option). I am also unable to add any new sensors. I purchased 4 so I attempted to add another one that I had not yet used and it is not completing the setup on the router side.

Is there a way to remove all the zig/zw settings on the router (maybe via ssh or similar) without resetting the router completely?

Offline robh5791

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 11:37:13 am »
Eric,
From troubleshooting that issue before now, I was told that some USB 3 cables cause interference on the same 2.4 ghz band that the zig/zwave radio uses. Try removing any USB 3 cables that may be plugged in in the vicinity for the Almond+ to start with. I found that the culprit ended up being the USB 3 cable that came with a Toshiba Canvio drive that I use. I have not tried a new cable with it so I have no work around for a cable that does work as of yet, but at least it is a step to trouble shoot until there is more info.

That said, I am currently working on a new issue related to this with support where all my sensors stopped responding early yesterday and after a hard reset, I cannot re add the same sensors that were connected previously. All the sensors I own currently were bought through Securifi so if support comes up with a fix, I will gladly post it here in case my first suggestion did not help.

Rob

Offline ericleone

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 12:52:51 pm »
You are the best, robh5791. A USB 3 flash drive plugged into the router was the culprit. Now to figure out how to best use a flash drive with the router and not cause interference.
Best of luck to getting your issue sorted out.

Offline robh5791

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 01:04:26 pm »
Eric,
I was told it's only certain USB 3 cables and also that the cheaper ones tend to work better without interference than more expensive ones. I've found a few on amazon but have yet to buy one. Let me know if you find one that does work well.

Offline ericleone

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 01:54:56 pm »
The flash drive I had connected was an inexpensive one with no shielding (even the USB socket is plastic). I am able to use the zig devices still with a higher quality flash drive connected.

Offline robh5791

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 02:12:26 am »
I said I would report any fix securifi gave me and after a bunch of different steps to get my almond to see the 5 sensors I have the only thing that worked was powering off the almond by unplugging it and plugging it back in again. This step was to move the almond to a different room to eliminate possible interference in my main "office" area where the majority of my electronics are. After moving it, I was able to get a single sensor to connect so I decided to move it back to see what happened and oddly enough all my other sensors were able to be paired again. I reported this to Securifi since it was Lars' suggestion to move the router. I am capable enough to troubleshoot to elmininate possible issues with devices but not technically savvy enough with zigbee or zwave to know what exactly caused my devices, unable to connect at all or even be recognized for two days, to then suddenly work again after the power cycle by unplugging it. If the issue resumes or I get any answer as to why this happened I will follow up just so everyone here has a fix. I hope this helps anyone that may come across this issue.

Offline tt4me

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 08:50:35 pm »
I can confirm that I have the same issue here.  Outlet sensor and door/window sensor paired and worked perfectly until I plugged in my USB 3.0 WD hard drive.  I tried and tried to repair the devices, but to no avail.  Then I read this post.  I removed the hard drive, and then the sensors paired up without issue and so far so good.

If/when anyone finds a USB cable that works, please post on here and I will do the same.

I really like the ability to have network attached storage, and am hoping that I don't have to give up that feature for the ZigBee devices to work.

Offline robh5791

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 06:14:58 am »
I ordered a couple cables that I should have in a couple of days to try out. I do have an Anker 4 port USB 3 hub that works without interfering with any sensors. That is plugged directly into the Almond+ and has never interfered. What does need to be mentioned is that the hard drive mentioned above interferes if plugged into that hub so it is not a fix necessarily but it is a USB 3 device that does not interfere.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck