Choose style:

Author Topic: Scripting language  (Read 4553 times)

Offline FrederikSchack

• Acorn
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Scripting language
« on: July 26, 2014, 06:51:49 pm »
Hi,

I think you are doing a fantastic job with the Almond+ and I like how you connect with the end users. I also think that you guys pose a great threat to the existing home automation controller industry, with regards to pricing, features and end user connection.

I know that you are making a complex product and there are issues that you are working hard to solve, that has top priority and my wish is not going be fulfilled anytime soon. What I would really hope for is that besides your very user-friendly IFTTT like interface, is to have a decent scripting language for the home automation. Personally I would happily pay $100 more for a version with a decent scripting language. I also think that your product could be extremely competitive with the top of home automation controllers, if you had something like this. But I guess that you already considered this and ruled it out because it's too much of a niche? Or is there any possibility of this happening?

Best regards,
Frederik

LGNilsson

Re: Scripting language
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 10:03:16 pm »
Ruled out, no.
It's just a matter of resources at the moment, as software team is spread quite thin at the moment.
Can you give a bit more of an idea as to what you'd like to be able to do with it?

Offline FrederikSchack

• Acorn
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:51:26 am »
Hi Lars,

I totally understand the resource part :-)

What I would like to do? Everything of course  ;-) It's hard to tell you exactly what, as ideas keep popping up and leads me unto other ideas. So basically I would like to just have the most basic building blocks, what I need for home automation. I haven't developed on a HA system yet, but I guess that's something about time triggers, delays, global variables, access to set/get functions of the devices, operators for comparing and manipulating data and of course building functions.

Nice-to-have would be some sort of code completion, especially for digging out functions from the devices, an easy way to collect/access historic data (maybe on usb stick?).

It doesn't really matter to me if it's nice and polished, as long as I can do what I want to do.

Best regards,
Frederik

Offline FrederikSchack

• Acorn
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 05:29:47 pm »
It seems like OpenHAB will do everything that I desire! And everything that everyone else desires :)

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 17 queries.