Choose style:

Author Topic: SDK, Home Automation, and Roadmap  (Read 7711 times)

Offline anthonylavado

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
SDK, Home Automation, and Roadmap
« on: July 27, 2014, 11:27:21 pm »
I know that the Developer level backers have an exclusive early access to the SDK, and I know there's a hidden forum that they have access to as well. I'm just wondering what has been done (if much) with the SDK, and if any developments have been made there towards home automation.

I know that since OpenWRT (though unsupported) is running on the Almond+, I'd imagine I could SSH in to it and run a variety of scripts and things, but it wouldn't be as elegant as having something that ties in to Nuts OS, the display, and the app for the phones.

Now I know that even the Developer level backers must be busy, so it's okay if there's no public project that they've made yet as well. In that case, I'd like to know when the exclusive period ends so I can look at the SDK and start to come up with ideas of what to do next. I don't believe we have a reference for what functions and calls are available at this time.

On that point as well, I know the software team is spread pretty thin. I realize that right now a lot of focus is being put on the firmware for Wi-Fi performance and stability. For the Home Automation functions that are coming, I'd love to know what the roadmap is, even if it doesn't have a timeframe. What are the goals for home automation features? I remember reading once that there was a possibility of timers, scenes, and triggers happening, but not for some time. Is there anything else planned?

I haven't received my unit yet, but I'm eager to have a new wireless router, and I want to explore how I can put the Almond+ in my home automation plans.
Any information that anyone can provide here would be of great help  :)

LGNilsson

Re: SDK, Home Automation, and Roadmap
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:08:25 am »
To be frank, not much has been done and it's partially our fault for lack of documentation.
We do have some third parties doing some work, but it's too early to share any news about what they're working on at this point in time.

We'll most likely allow general requests for the SDK starting October. Please keep in mind that the SDK is C++ based as it's the same SDK that our software team is using.
By then we should have some better documentation in place as well. One other thing about the SDK, we're not going to do a public release, but anyone will be able to request access to the SDK.

We've hired more developers, but it takes a little bit of time to get them up to speed with everything before they can really start to contribute. That said, we have different developers working on different things and we have a dedicated team working on the home automation features. The current goal is to get the automation in place by September, as we've slipped slightly on this since we really hoped to have this done before the end of August. The initial home automation control will add the option to create scenes and triggers as well as timers. Notifications on the mobile apps should arrive by next month though. As I'm not a member of the software team I can't say exactly how much of this will be implemented as yet, as although the underlying code is in place, there's still a lot of work to be done on the UI side.

We'll be resuming shipments this week, so hopefully it won't be too long until you get your Almond+.

Offline anthonylavado

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 02:39:43 am »
Lars, you are amazing as always. This is all I needed to know.
Thank you again!

Offline rltvty

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:43:03 pm »
Any update on when the SDK will be available? 

I'm very interested in starting an open-source project using the SDK to make a json API for accessing and controlling sensors.

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:24:50 pm »
I'm waiting for some more/better example code from the software team, once that's done, we'll open up the developer forum and the SDK to everyone.

Offline felixdacat

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 01:42:48 am »
Lars, you are doing an amazing job here.
I wanted to "bump" this thread and check on the status of the home automation feature. As we're close to end of September I thought I can't hurt to get another update. Thank you.

LGNilsson

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 04:49:46 am »
The automation has been delayed I'm afraid and it's not expected until next month now  :-\

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.