bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond+ + Ube + Hue  (Read 7345 times)

Offline dbhjed

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Almond+ + Ube + Hue
« on: August 20, 2013, 02:32:20 pm »
Since Hue are ZigBee (Or IP) Bulbs. Would I be able to use the touch pad on the Ube to turn off the Hue bulbs without turning off the light they are in?

I have two rooms with ceiling fans that are controlled by a switch, but if I turn the switch off the fan also turns off. It would be great if I could use the combo of Almond+, Ube, and Philips Hue to just "turn off" the hue bulbs but still be able to control them with the app and not turn off the fan as well

What are your thoughts?

LGNilsson

Re: Almond+ + Ube + Hue
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 11:28:45 pm »
I'm not sure about the Ube, we're still waiting for ours to test, but even without the Ube, the Hue lights can be turned on and off independently from each other, even if they're installed into the same light.

I think the problem would arise from the fact that the Hue bulbs use ZigBee Light Link, whereas the Almond+ and Ube relies on ZigBee Home Automation, so you'd still have to use the Hue control unit and connect it via Wi-Fi to the Almond+. This is something we've already tested and we can control it via the Almond+.

The problem you'd have is when you switch the fan off, as this I presume is something you'd still want to have controlled by the wall switch? This would prevent the Hue lights from being switched on, as there's no longer any power going to the fans.

You'd really have to check with Ube with regards to their switch. I guess if you were to replace your switches that powers the fans with the Ube, you could turn on the fan via the Ube and the lights via the Hue controller and that should in theory solve your problem, but as I said, I don't know how well the Ube will work with something like a ceiling fan.

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 02:35:45 am »
If you are somewhat handy you could modify your fan to split the incoming power, then have a remote switch for the motor, This way you just leave your light switch on all the time and use the remote systems to turn them on independently.
It is very likely that there is a split internally anyway, so it would just be a matter of finding a small remote power switch to put in between.

Offline dbhjed

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:09:52 am »
Lars - I normally keep the switch on because both fans have a remote. The issue is when I use the light part on the remote if you hit it once the Hue lights flicker, you have to keep it held for a few seconds to make it work properly (I am afraid of damaging the bulb with low power that way) so I normally use the app to turn them off and on, issue with this is guests don't have the app and my wife doesn't have her phone on her 24/7 like I do. If I use the light switch they always come on flickering and I have to use the remote to turn it off then hold it until they stop.

I really want Ube to control the switch normal off and on and then be able to control the Hue to turn them off, on, and dim using the Almond+ as the middle man. Then I would only need the app if I wanted to change colors or set a scene.

I was also thinking about installing another Almond+ in the rooms I have the Hue lights and use them as the "Switch" but seeing as the retail cost is going to be more than the $100 one I got from Kickstarter, I am looking around for a cheaper solution.

I do plan on having the Hue control unit connected to Almond+, that is why I was thinking that the Ube, Almond+, and Hue could work together by having the Ube send the light commands to the Almond+ then the Almond+ turns the Hue lights on, off, or dim according to the commands I am giving the Ube on its touch screen.

eldaria - That would work but I would still have the issue of when I use the light switch the Hue lights come on flickering and I still need to use the remote to stop it.

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 12:14:28 pm »
It's easy enough to control the Hue via the touch screen on the Almond, so that shouldn't be an issue, but I honestly can say about the Ube integration into all of this. It sounds as if it should work, but I can't guarantee it at this point in time.

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 01:03:10 pm »
Since Hue are ZigBee (Or IP) Bulbs. Would I be able to use the touch pad on the Ube to turn off the Hue bulbs without turning off the light they are in?

I have two rooms with ceiling fans that are controlled by a switch, but if I turn the switch off the fan also turns off. It would be great if I could use the combo of Almond+, Ube, and Philips Hue to just "turn off" the hue bulbs but still be able to control them with the app and not turn off the fan as well

What are your thoughts?

Check out:

Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.