bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: <FYI> Almond+ Causing Speaker Hum  (Read 4569 times)

Offline layotte

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
<FYI> Almond+ Causing Speaker Hum
« on: August 05, 2014, 01:47:05 am »
Just Sharing here- 

My almond+ sits next to my computer speakers (creative 2.1 set) and the speakers had a pretty audible hum produced out of the speakers since installing the router.  After troubleshooting several ideas (ferrite beads, using different power outlets, speaker wire routing) it was determined the proximity of the almond+ to the speaker subwoofer (which also has inputs for speaker, AC power, and the speaker volume controller) was causing the humming.  The subwoofer had to be moved at least around 3 feet away from the almond+ to prevent the speaker hum. 

I'm assuming this is an RF susceptibility / AF coupling issue in my speakers caused by the almond+ emissions.  Hopefully this information could prevent others from having the same issue.  I do not believe there is anything wrong with the almond, but that my speakers could use additional protection.

My wireless configuration is dual band with 2.4 using Ch11 @29 dBm and 5GHz using Ch48 in 11ACVHT80 mode @31dBm (max power for both radios). 

LGNilsson

Re: <FYI> Almond+ Causing Speaker Hum
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 02:05:36 am »
Interesting, going to have to try that at home, as I have a pair of Creative speakers sitting reasonably close to my Almond+, but the speakers aren't normally turned on.

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 10:07:47 am »
Just tried, even moved the Almond+ right next to the subwoofer, didn't notice anything.
Maybe it's just the specific model of speakers you have?

Offline layotte

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 09:36:44 pm »
Most likely my speakers / sub model. 

Offline tristin

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 10:15:07 pm »
Happened to me as well. I've got a pair of old Dell speakers that had to be moved ~2 feet away to eliminate the hum. But my speakers are over a decade old and they were cheap to begin with, so I'm not surprised.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 16 queries.

bottleneck