bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: WOL GUI Support  (Read 4758 times)

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
WOL GUI Support
« on: August 22, 2013, 01:38:11 pm »
If the Securifi Almond+ is going to be the center of our networks,  as well as the center of our Home Automation worlds,  I would like to respectfully ask that Securifi add WebUI support for doing WOL (Wake on LAN)

Something similar to the classic Linksys interface should do it.

Having remote access to the WebUI on the Router,   would allow Almond+ owners to access their Routers remotely,  so that they can "wake up" internal machines,   and then access said internal machine via VNC/RDP technology using the Port Forwarding capabilities of the Router.   (Windows "Home Premium" users,  need not attempt this,  as Microsoft does not permit RDP to "Home Premium" (and lower) versions of their Operating System). 

This would permit Almond+ owners to leave their computers "off" when they are out of town,   and yet still be able to start them up again to permit remote access.  (They can even shutdown the machine remotely when they are done,  in order to maintain security. 

I use this capability of my existing Router,  (no I don't own a Linksys WRT54G anymore),   and it is very very useful.  In fact,  I have my NAS configured to "stay off" after an unscheduled shutdown (power outage),  as it is pointless to operate my NAS if it doesn't have Internet access,  but I have my Router configured to "wake up" my NAS,  as soon as it's WAN interface becomes active again.   (This doesn't happen very often,  as I do use a UPS on my Router,  network switches,  and NAS).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:47:51 pm by Patrick Wilson »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline pete

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: WOL GUI Support
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 09:17:38 am »
Neat idea Patrick!

Recently I have been testing multiple touchscreens in the home of a variety of sizes.  Driving wife nuts as I have three in the bedroom.

I do remote them from the "mothership" shutting them down at night and waking them up in the morning.  I also use motion sensor (occupancy) to turn on the screens and so forth with them.  Being into the time thing I run an event every morning which uses WOL to wake them all up at once (> 15 touchscreens today).
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.