Choose style:

Author Topic: Z-Wave Kwikset 910 Deadbolt  (Read 14827 times)

Offline JeremicaM

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Z-Wave Kwikset 910 Deadbolt
« on: August 08, 2014, 02:37:35 am »
I purchased a Kwikset 910 deadbolt with ZWave radio built in ( This Model http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F1B24I) but cannot get it to pair with the almond +. Is this because of the stated limitation of Home Automation features not working yet? Its extremely frustrating to spend all the time installing a new lock only to have it not pair. I might have 75ft between the A+ and the deadbolt.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:44:23 am by JeremicaM »

LGNilsson

Re: Z-Wave Kwikset 910 Deadbolt
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 03:56:51 am »
We're still working on adding support for Kwikset locks, but it's coming.
You can find the current list of compatible sensors here - http://wiki.securifi.com/index.php?title=List_of_compatible_sensors_-_Almond%2B_2014

Also, 75 feet is way too far for pairing devices as the Z-Wave standard calls for no longer than about 3 feet, although a little bit further tends to be ok.

Offline JeremicaM

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 04:06:30 am »
Thank you Lars. I was beginning to feel I was going crazy. Is there any form of time table for these locks? In my area between Schlege and Kwikset you get about 80% of the market.

I did take the lock within about 6ft, with no change. I can try placing it directly next to it for pairing but I am curious, how is this supposed to work for say light switches.

When I looked up the Zwave standard for operation is listed no more than 100 ft. I can understand that could be a "best case" scenario, but 3ft?

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 04:17:54 am »
It will most likely not make it into the next firmware, but it should be in the one after that.
The problem with locks is that they all have a lot of customization from the lock manufacturer in question and it's a little bit tricky to add support for them.
That said, we should've had Kwikset support by now, but it's the highest priority for the guys working on Z-Wave now.

The 3 feet is pairing distance, operational distance is much longer.

Offline JeremicaM

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 04:32:11 am »
Just confirmed, definitely not working. Removed and placed within 3inches and no change. Unfortunate, but at least I can say I tried everything now. 

@Lars - Thank you very much for the note about this. It is great to hear this is a focus item! I am still very curious about products like Light switches and wall panels. How does one pair those where their function places them in a static location?

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Linear-Ws15Z-2-Z-Wave-Wall-Switch/dp/B00EAY3JT6
              http://www.amazon.com/Jasco-Z-Wave-Wireless-Lighting-Control/dp/B0035YRCR2

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 04:41:11 am »
The only real solution is moving the Almond+ around.

It's a bit of a limitation of all of the home automation systems in the market today with the Vera Lite being the only exception as it can be fitted with batteries and has a push button for adding sensors. However, you have no clue what's going on when you add sensors to it.

The short range during association is for two reasons 1. Security 2. If by some fluke, your neighbour is adding a sensor on their home automation gateway at the same time, it would get added to his gateway instead of yours.

It's not something we're in control of, as this is part of the standard and we need to adhere to it. ZigBee has the same problem.

Offline tfriedlich

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:26:24 am »
Ok, So I have that EXACT lock and it works perfectly with A+. I also did my pairing from way more than 3 feet away. It took a while to get it working, but following advice from others on this board (for different tools), I did get it to work. The key (no pun intended) was to first set the A+ to remove the sensor (yes, I know it wasn't added yet) and do the same on the lock. Then, go to add it, and it will show up. The only problem is that the through the web interfaces it always shows up as "Unlocked" until I click on the refresh icon.

LGNilsson

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 10:01:29 am »
Interesting, as we haven't added proper support for it as yet.
We're working on improving locks overall in terms of how they interact with all our various UI's etc. and this should hopefully be more or less done by firmware release R066. Just to make it clear, this won't be the next firmware release.

Offline tfriedlich

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 11:27:39 am »
I don't get all of the features (like setting up additional passcodes), but it definitely works for locking and unlocking.

Offline JeremicaM

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 11:42:56 am »
Awesome news! I will give this another try tonight. So cool to be on a forum with people who can help =) I will send you a PM to try and iron this out.

Offline JeremicaM

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 12:11:14 pm »
I couldn't wait.. IT WORKS!!! Adding Pins does work from the local network UI, but doesn't seem to be supported by the connect.securifi.com UI. The automation (emailing alerts etc) is not there but that is to be expected at this stage.

I am over the moon at this point. Sitting at my computer opening my lock is the coolest thing I have done in technology in a long time.

HUGE Thanks to tfriedlich. The cure for this was to tell the A+ to remove sensors, then press the button twice on the lock itself. Then tell the a+ to add a sensor and press the button once. It instantly found the sensor but did need to be closer. I am actually about 45 ft away and it wasn't happy, so I just removed (kept the battery in) the electronic portion of the lock and sat it 1ft away.

Offline tfriedlich

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 03:34:58 pm »
That's great! I am glad I can be some help. It is funny, I could have sworn I saw the pin stuff somewhere, but couldn't remember where. I totally freaked out my wife playing with the lock from work while she was home one day.

LGNilsson

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 05:53:21 am »
One of the guys in the software team mentioned that apparently the Kwikset manual suggests a pairing distance of only 12 inches...
That's shorter than any other Z-Wave devices that we've tested so far.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:55:39 am by Lars »

Offline dbuttke

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 12:08:58 pm »
I am interested yesterday at about  4 feet an email worked fine.
One thing to note is that it will wipe the codes you have in the lock already when pairing at this point. Glad I did not find that out the hard way.

Offline d.kiran

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 05:45:19 pm »
I have both Kwikset 912(Lever) and Kwikset 910 (Deadbolt). The PIN works fine.

The web UI does not refresh when locked or unlocked. It changes for a second and then goes back to the previous value.

The battery level is inaccurate. It seems to switch from 100% to low within nothing in between.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck