bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Need Recommendation: Light Switches vs. Motion Sensors  (Read 6919 times)

Offline tt4me

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Need Recommendation: Light Switches vs. Motion Sensors
« on: April 13, 2015, 09:41:24 am »
OK, I'd like to hear some opinions please.

I installed a hot water recirculation pump this weekend, and it's working great.  It can run in constant on, off, or timer mode.  I currently have it set up in timer mode, and it's working well... for the times that I can predict that we will want hot water in our master and main bathrooms.

So this is where my question comes in.  My plan was to install z-wave switches in each bathroom and a z-wave outlet for the pump.  Then the pump would be in a constant on state with the light switches controlling the outlet.  Rules would be something along the lines of, each light switch would turn on the pump, but a separate rule that if both switches were off that the pump would then turn off.

Then my wife wondered about motion sensors.  I have yet to install a motion sensor, so I'm not entirely sure how they work within the confines of the A+.  Would it make more sense to use motion sensors?  If so, how would a set of rules for this task be set up?

Thank you for your input.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E78XHG/

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Need Recommendation: Light Switches vs. Motion Sensors
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 12:00:28 am »
Most motion sensors are state change. They detect you and send a signal that motion is detected. They stop detecting you and send a signal that no motion is detected. Many do not have a timer built in so if you hold still, motion stops. Some do and will wait a while before checking again. Also motion sensors can be triggered by many things (pets as an example) and sometimes you just have them detect motion from no discernible source (in my experience). So for something like controlling a pump I am not sure they would be your best bet.

Switches are fairly simple but rely on you to remember to turn them off (unless you build more rules based on other sensors or setting the house away for example once that is in the Rules). You also need to make sure that your switches will provide their status to the Almond+. I recommend searching the tested sensors section for that. Some are easily controlled but there may still be some work being done to get their status (when you press their actual button).
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 25 queries.