bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Question about WIFI signal  (Read 5859 times)

Offline ron

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Question about WIFI signal
« on: August 30, 2013, 06:23:37 pm »
I just got my Almond which I'm using as range extender. Although I'm loving so far, I have the following question:
I'm using the same SSID as my Linksys main wireless router. Every time I move from one signal to another (like moving from the range of the linksys to the almond and backward), even using the same ssid, the internet disconnect and reconnect. This may be a very silly question, but is this normal? I mean, I thought the connection would be seamless allowing me to walk at my house using skype without have to reconnect every time I walk from 1st floor to the second... or maybe I'm just doing some thing wrong......

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
Re: Question about WIFI signal
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:19:11 pm »
I just got my Almond which I'm using as range extender. Although I'm loving so far, I have the following question:
I'm using the same SSID as my Linksys main wireless router. Every time I move from one signal to another (like moving from the range of the linksys to the almond and backward), even using the same ssid, the internet disconnect and reconnect. This may be a very silly question, but is this normal? I mean, I thought the connection would be seamless allowing me to walk at my house using skype without have to reconnect every time I walk from 1st floor to the second... or maybe I'm just doing some thing wrong......

I doubt you are.  Setup is pretty straight forward: Securifi Almond Range Extender Demo
]
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 12:45:09 am »
Did you remove the _Almond SSID name extension? As this would prevent you from roaming between the two.

Offline kevind

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 02:48:17 pm »
what do you mean by remove the _Almond SSID name extension?  How do you do this?  I now show both networks.  For the extender to work do I need to choose the Almond extension or is it working with my original one?

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 06:38:26 pm »
what do you mean by remove the _Almond SSID name extension?  How do you do this?  I now show both networks.  For the extender to work do I need to choose the Almond extension or is it working with my original one?

It depends on the main Router.  The preferred method is to have both devices using the exact same SSID.  (Unfortunately not all Routers play nice in this configuration). 

My recommendation would be to try with both SSID/credentials being exactly identical (ie no "_almond" on the Almond end).  If it works,  then you are good to go,  and can freely "roam" between the Router and the Range Extender.  If it fails, symptoms like you've provided above,  then you might need to keep the SSID/credentials "different" between the two. 

We'll try it via the TouchUI.  Lets start by clicking on the Wireless tile: 

Click on the "Name" box,  and remove the "_almond" part

Click "Done(It won't save your changes if you don't click "Done")

Lets go back to the Status screen and check our work.....

Looks like success here....

I'm lucky here.  My main Router and all 3 of my Access Points share the exact same SSID & credentials,  so I can "roam" anywhere in my home and get signal. I'm hoping I can continue to be setup this way when my Almond+ gets here,  and it becomes my primary Router. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:35:03 pm by Patrick Wilson »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.