Choose style:

Author Topic: Use attached device as a NAS  (Read 16898 times)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Use attached device as a NAS
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 09:46:05 am »
I'm new to setting up network attached storage but have a question about this. If I set this server up to turn existing external hard drives into NAS, can I access those drives / files from anything besides my windows computer? I am looking at Android and IOS as I utilize both. If I do this will everyone on my network have access to these files or will the password be required for anyone trying to login?  I am also wondering if there is a way I could set this up to be a personal "cloud" by providing remote access while not on my home network. I have experience port forwarding and have a DDNS service running so I can access other services in my residence already. Thanks!

LGNilsson

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 11:18:37 am »
Longer term, yes, although as of right now, it's quite feature complete and we're working on improving things. I'd say you should give it a couple of firmware releases before this is up to the kind of levels you're asking for.
Right now for example we only support a single user account, with a single password, no real mobile device support or WAN side support.

Offline matt

• Backer
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 11:38:32 am »
I'm new to setting up network attached storage but have a question about this. If I set this server up to turn existing external hard drives into NAS, can I access those drives / files from anything besides my windows computer? I am looking at Android and IOS as I utilize both. If I do this will everyone on my network have access to these files or will the password be required for anyone trying to login?  I am also wondering if there is a way I could set this up to be a personal "cloud" by providing remote access while not on my home network. I have experience port forwarding and have a DDNS service running so I can access other services in my residence already. Thanks!

You can set this up on a Raspberry Pi using Seafile (or probably any of the alternatives, I just saw that this one has an RPi package), or I guess owncloud is a lot more popular. You could probably get them to run on the Almond+, but I think you would want to do some file system mangling so they don't install on the tiny Almond flash. And I feel like they would probably bog down router though, but it might be worth a try.

http://seafile.com/en/home/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Owncloud-dropbox-clone/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:45:01 am by vicvega09 »

Offline curach

• Backer
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 04:10:22 pm »
Hi,

I can see the drive on the mac - but it is listed as locked. When I try the chown command above on the almond+ I get
chown: test: Function not implemented

Or are we still waiting for MAC support?

LGNilsson

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 11:43:09 pm »
It's a Samba related issue that we haven't had a chance to fix yet.

Offline sriram

• Backer
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 09:57:41 am »
What throughput is everyone seeing with a HDD connected using the USB 3.0 interface? Any rotational speed, accessed via either Ethernet or Wifi. I'm trying to get some ballpark numbers.

Thanks!

LGNilsson

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 10:09:45 am »
It's not that great right now, we still have a good bit of work to do with regards to storage performance. Using FTP with an older firmware I hit 100MB/s, but now we're doing around 75MB/s read. Write speeds are currently capped at around 35MB/s. SAMBA is of course a bit slower, but we believe we should be able to deliver pretty good performance one we update a few things and optimize the whole platform.

Offline sriram

• Backer
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 10:17:39 am »
Lars,

Perfect. Thanks. I was thinking of creating a SMB share to store my media for my Plex Server (which is running on storage limited hardware).

Cheers!

LGNilsson

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 10:42:10 am »
Even now you should get 30-35MB/s over SAMBA, not great, but not terrible either.
Not sure how it'll interact with Plex though and I have in honesty never used it.

Offline sriram

• Backer
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 10:47:00 am »
No issue. I'm willing to try it out. 30MB/s should be fine. I think the increased network load might be the primary concern (PMS is connected to one of these with line of sight to the Almond+). Thanks for your quick responses!

LGNilsson

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 11:08:44 am »
Shouldn't be an issue for streaming media.
I'll freely admit that this is our weakest part now that needs some serious work, but the platform has the potential for really good storage performance.

Offline sriram

• Backer
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 11:34:00 am »
Thank you and best of luck Lars!

Offline Richel

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 10:47:18 am »
.....  I am also wondering if there is a way I could set this up to be a personal "cloud" by providing remote access while not on my home network. I have experience port forwarding and have a DDNS service running so I can access other services in my residence already. Thanks!

Is there or will there be a way to access the hard drive attached to my Almond+ from outside my local area network? Thanks.

Offline Richel

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 07:14:17 am »
This continues to go unanswered. Can it be done? Thanks.

Offline pete

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 09:42:09 am »
One popular method  using OpenWRT was to install ownCloud running a simple script.

That said looks like ownCloud has gone commercial and running it on OpenWRT was extremely slow.

https://owncloud.org/

I have a modded micro-router with OpenWRT around and will give it a try on that box.

Code: [Select]
cd /tmp
wget http://mirrors.owncloud.org/release/ownclound-X.X.X.tar.bz2
opkg update
opkg install tar
cd /www
tar -xjf /tmp/owncloud-X.X.X.tar.bz2
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:18:46 pm by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 17 queries.