Choose style:

Author Topic: SmartThings integration (zigbee, z-wave)  (Read 10626 times)

Offline Calc

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
SmartThings integration (zigbee, z-wave)
« on: August 18, 2014, 11:05:58 am »
I have a SmartThings hub which is already setup with all my devices. Outlets, motion, door open/close, etc...  The hub connects to devices via Zigbee, Z-wave, and local IP control.  It can also communicate with it's cloud to provide remote control, as well as access to remote cloud services.

I would like my Almond+, either on Zigbee or Z-wave to locally in my home, communicate to the Almond+, in other words I want the Almond+ to join my existing network as a secondary controller, so that I can use it as a local touchscreen control point.

When can we expect to see this functionality?  Anyone else have a similar setup?

Offline jim

• Backer
Re: SmartThings integration (zigbee, z-wave)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 11:21:07 am »
Based on securifi's other posts on this forum, I do not believe they plan for this type of configuration. 

I also have a smartthings hub and I would like to switch away from smartthings completely.  However, until securifi gets the router software working well, I am not brave enough to try to switch all my devices over to the almond+.  Also, I do not believe the almond+ supports kwikset locks yet so that is another thing I am waiting for. 

Offline beller

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 03:52:40 pm »
a Aeotec simple Keyfob can work as secondary controller, i use it in a exist Z-wave network with a primary controller (not Almond+), also i need to have Almond+ as a secondary controller feature, so i can control any device of the house from the LCD of the Almond+ in the room where it's installed, i can buy/install more than one if it work.
I think securifi need to switch the priority of the this feature higher, as i say, a aeotec keyfob small 4 pushbutton can do it!

here is the manual:  http://aeotec.com/z-wave-key-fob-remote-control/145-key-fob-remote-manual-how-to-instructions.html

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 06:57:34 am »
I think there's a lot of confusion going on here as to what a secondary controller is and isn't.

Yes, there are very simple secondary controllers, but they're often limited in functionality and can only control certain types of devices, lack any kind of feedback etc.

Using a gateway as a secondary controller is very different from a remote/key fob/scene controller, as most were designed to be primary controllers and nothing else.
Yes, I'm well aware Vera can do this, but SmartThings can not.

Also keep in mind that this is a Z-Wave only thing, ZigBee does not support this kind of configuration, but ZigBee does support key fobs and remotes just fine without it.

For us to make the Almond+ work well as a secondary controller in accordance to the wishes expressed by everyone in the forum and on Kickstarter would take us a significant amount of time and use up a lot of resources that we currently don't have. Sure, we can throw together something that sort of works, but I presume that's not what you guys are after?
We're not unwilling to work on this, but right now we simply can't put everything else aside just to make a dozen or so people happy, especially considering we have so many other things that we're being asked to implement, ranging from simple sensor support to fixing some fairly major issues.

Offline brantflick

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 06:55:57 pm »
Lars,

I'd think with proper SDK support this sort of feature is exactly what one could expect from the developer community.  It's a limited use scenario and might even have to be highly customized depending on what other implementations users would like to see supported.  I don't think this is something Securifi should focus their time on, unless one of your internal devs takes it on as a personal project (on the side, or in whatever time the company allows for personal projects).

Offline jsharpe

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:26:40 am »
Lars,

I'd think with proper SDK support this sort of feature is exactly what one could expect from the developer community. ...

An sdk option that would allow us to add the necessary support could probably work for me.  I disagree with the comment that implies that all secondary controllers are simple scene controllers.  My Nevo remotes are full graphical touchscreen devices with a lot of rich capabilities.  Having said that, the only functionality I would need from the A+ as a secondary controller would be to be able to be added to an existing network, and import the list of devices on the network. No metadata import (I would expect to re-add that manually using the A+ UI) no scene or macro or automation import (one again I would recreate those things using the A+ UI).

I've already said it in a different thread, but it's important enough to me that I'll repeat it here.  Without the at least minimal ability to join an existing z-wave network as a secondary controller makes the A+ useless to me.  It's just another wireless router.

LGNilsson

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 11:12:37 am »
We're going to release the SDK next month, which is technically only a few days away. You'll be able to fiddle away at your hearts content once we release that, but please don't ask me for help, as I'm not a developer.

And yes, there are some fancier remotes, you're right, but most of them are really basic. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know enough about home automation, but I've tried a lot of different platforms and apart from Vera, not many seems to support secondary controllers.
That said, the message is received loud and clear that this is something you guys want and we'll see what we can do, but please don't expect it next month as we need to focus on getting the automation done first.

Offline jsharpe

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 11:36:42 am »
Thanks Lars, 

Just knowing it's on your radar as a future important feature is good enough for me right now.  I agree with your priority on the automation front.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.