bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Using Almond as range extender with main router using dd-wrt  (Read 14731 times)

Offline phuettner

• Acorn
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Using Almond as range extender with main router using dd-wrt
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:58:06 pm »
How do I do this / is it even possible? I am trying to use Almond as a range extender connecting to my dd-wrt router which just has typical security settings.

Please help.

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
Re: Using Almond as range extender with main router using dd-wrt
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:48:26 pm »
How do I do this / is it even possible? I am trying to use Almond as a range extender connecting to my dd-wrt router which just has typical security settings.

Yes it is definitely possible.  In fact your AlmondŽ will do most of the work for you.  Simply follow the steps documented in YouTube video:

Your AlmondŽ will automatically setup the same Wi-Fi settings as the Router you connect to,  and the only question it will ask is the WiFi password for the Router,  (in your case your DD-WRT Router).  It will create a SSID of the "original SSID"_Almond.  It you want to be able to connect to each SSID independantly,  then leave it "as is".  Personally,  I'd recommend manually changing the SSID on the Almond to exactly match the original Router.  (If both devices are using the same SSID,  your Wi-Fi devices will typically connect to the Router or Range Extender depending in which one has  the strongest signal.  (This is a great way of extending the "coverage" area of your Home network). 

I used the Range Extender feature temporarily,  but I later switched to using the "Access Point" mode instead,  as this allowed me to connect my Almond to my DD-WRT Router via CAT6 cable,  which leaves all the bandwidth of the Radio in the Almond for Wi-Fi clients.  Check out my previous article: My favourite Almond feature: "Travel WAP".  Your Almond will work quite well with your DD-WRT Router. 

If you have any further questions please feel free to post further replies to this message thread.  Enjoy your new Almond! 

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:53:47 pm by Patrick Wilson »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline phuettner

• Acorn
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 04:26:45 pm »
Thanks Patrick,

I tried that multiple times but each time it gets to "waiting for the IP" a status bar pops up, loads really slowly, and eventually says that it is unable to connect to the router. I'm setting them up within 5 feet of each other so it's definitely not a proximity issue. My laptop can easily connect to the router via wi-fi as well.

Is there a certain setting that needs to be adjusted on the main router to allow almond to gain access?

Appreciate the support.

-Paul

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 10:12:16 pm »
Thanks Patrick,

I tried that multiple times but each time it gets to "waiting for the IP" a status bar pops up, loads really slowly, and eventually says that it is unable to connect to the router. I'm setting them up within 5 feet of each other so it's definitely not a proximity issue. My laptop can easily connect to the router via wi-fi as well.

Is there a certain setting that needs to be adjusted on the main router to allow almond to gain access?

Appreciate the support.

-Paul

I can't think of any.  It should pick up it's IP address via DHCP from the main router just like your Laptop.  Please check your Firmware revision level to ensure that your Almond is running Firmware AL1-R196-L299-W33.  This is the current version.   
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:17:21 pm by Patrick Wilson »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline pete

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 10:49:10 pm »
I had a similiar issue yesterday goofing around with the Almond. 

I went from range extender to router.  I did a reset and then DHCP was fine afterwards.

Have a look at the MAC addresses. 

If two are identical then you are is in extender mode.  If the three are unique then you are in router mode.

It might also be because I didn't wait long enough for the restart after the reconfiguration.

[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline phuettner

• Acorn
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 02:33:21 pm »
Resetting and updating firmware through Ethernet first worked!

Thanks!

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.