bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Controlling Single Speed Bathroom Fan  (Read 7783 times)

Offline gwydionjhr

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Controlling Single Speed Bathroom Fan
« on: May 11, 2015, 09:03:48 pm »
I'm looking for a way to turn on the single speed fan in my bathroom ceiling using a Z-Wave product.  I don't want to replace the mechanical timer switch currently on the circuit as no multi-sensor I know of can detect excessive odour.  Is there a Z-Wave device compatible with the Almond that could meet this need?

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
Re: Controlling Single Speed Bathroom Fan
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 10:59:49 am »
I was thinking of using several pieces as a solution to the stink removal + humidity removal + lighting control.

1) A z-wave enabled switch, like Aeon Labs Touch Panel. Maybe two, one for a light and one for a fan.
2) A motion sensor/humidity sensor, like Aeon Labs Multi-Sensor.
3) An in-box/in-wall z-wave switch like Aeon Labs Micro Smart Energy Switch, or two of these.

One touch panel could be used as a manual trigger for a light, the other for a fan for stink removal (timed or not).
The motion sensor could trigger the energy switch controlling the light, on and off.
The humidity sensor could be used to trigger the energy switch controlling the fan.

The only problem is that this won't currently work with the A+ as multi-sensors aren't fully supported and neither are scenes and events. Another problem is that this is an expensive solution.

I'm waiting on parts to build my own solution based on a MySensors.org enabled gateway and sensors, substituting NRF24L01+ transceivers for the z-wave communications. It should be considerably cheaper than ~$160 in z-wave parts and everything will work out of the gate whereas we're waiting on z-wave sensor support and more robust HA support from the A+, like scenes and events.

I'd like to hear from the crowd any solutions that would actually work with the A+.

Offline gwydionjhr

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 12:35:44 pm »
I'm just sticking my toe in the water here.  I've already pre-ordered the new Aeontec Multisensor 6 for the bathroom.  I know the humidity sensor aspect isn't supported yet. http://aeotec.com/z-wave-sensor

Could the Remotec Binary Switch be used in place of the old mechanical timer switch?
http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/660

IE: Push the button and the fan comes on for a set period of time.  And the multi-sensor could also use that as the controller for turning the fan on (later) when humidity is detected?

Offline Dudeness30

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 01:18:55 am »
I have been playing with the zwave relay ZWN-RSM1S
It allows you to keep all your current hardware with the benefits of zwave.
Almond+, 2 flood sensors, 1 motion sensor, 1 Z-wave water valve, 2 Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS - Z-Wave Smart Energy Switch, 1 Enerwave ZWN-RSM1S Z-Wave Relay, 1 GE Z-Wave Outdoor Module, 1 Enerwave ZWN-RSM2 Z-Wave Smart Dual Relay,

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 08:21:11 am »
@Dudeness30, Awesome! That bypass feature is just what was needed. Thanks.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 08:31:57 am »
@qwudionjhr, That essentially sounds like the same configuration I described. The relay @Dudeness30 is using would allow us to keep our non-smart switches. The motion/humidity sensors could still be added and used to trigger the fan and light.

Offline gwydionjhr

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 02:51:21 pm »
I'll see how it goes with the Binary switch.  Upon consideration I prefer the idea of a single button that turns the fan on for a set period of time to get read of the stinkies instead of a mechanical dial to be turned.

Offline Dudeness30

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 10:41:05 pm »
I have a push button timer on my fans, and the relay allows you to keep it. If you have questions on the wiring, let me know, I took one apart and unsoldered the relay looking at how I can modify it. I just don't know the longevity of it yet.
Almond+, 2 flood sensors, 1 motion sensor, 1 Z-wave water valve, 2 Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS - Z-Wave Smart Energy Switch, 1 Enerwave ZWN-RSM1S Z-Wave Relay, 1 GE Z-Wave Outdoor Module, 1 Enerwave ZWN-RSM2 Z-Wave Smart Dual Relay,

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 19 queries.