bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Samba sharing reports no space available on Mac and Ubuntu.  (Read 13290 times)

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Ok so while I was creating documentation for the Wiki for using the Samba function on Mac and Ubuntu I came across a few bugs.

First off is the issue that Samba reports no space available.

On both Mac and on Ubuntu, Samba reports that the disk has 0 bytes available.
So when trying to copy files, Mac will say not enough space and will not let you copy anything.

And Ubuntu will say not enough space, but I can say copy anyway and then it will copy the file.

I suspect this is because the root of the Samba share is not the drive, but the 'share' and this one is not writable does not have any space available. However this is only a theory.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:16:28 pm by Lars »

Offline ehimawan

• Kickstarter Developer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Samba sharing reports no space available on Mac and Ubuntu.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 02:31:20 pm »
I also have problem getting a write access to Samba from my Mac. The samba works from my Window machine, and from my iPhone ( I use "FileExplorer" from my iPhone to write to the Samba server).

From my Mac, I keep getting the "no space available" error. I tried to modify the permission (chown 777) on the mount, but still cannot get the write access from my Mac.

I think the Samba version of Almond+ does not support the SMB2 protocol? I have a Synology Diskstation that supports SMB2 protocol, and my Mac works fine with the Synology.

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 09:09:55 pm »
We're working in updating Samba to a more recent version, so expect that to be available in a few weeks. Same goes for the FTP server and DropBear.

Offline yeehaw

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 07:58:03 pm »
I was able to upload a file to my share via FTP, only after I SSH'd onto the device and changed the chmod for full read write (chmod 755 -R /mnt/usb/"SHARE FOLDER NAME") and chown the directory to whatever name you set for the Samba/FTP user name (chown USERNAME:USERNAME -R /mnt/usb/"SHARE FOLDER NAME").

I'm curious if this workaround works for others.

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 03:17:14 am »
I was able to upload a file to my share via FTP, only after I SSH'd onto the device and changed the chmod for full read write (chmod 755 -R /mnt/usb/"SHARE FOLDER NAME") and chown the directory to whatever name you set for the Samba/FTP user name (chown USERNAME:USERNAME -R /mnt/usb/"SHARE FOLDER NAME").

I'm curious if this workaround works for others.

This makes sense, but is not related to the original topic.
FTP and Samba are not the same protocol, and is also not related to the issue with wrong available storage being reported to Mac and Linux clients.

You got a permission error, so I suspect that you are using a native file system on your USB drive, such as ext3 since you could change the permissions and ownership using chmod/chown.
On a NTFS of FAT formatted drive this is not possible as far as I know.
Since Almond+ is based on a Linux kernel, permissions will be whatever was on the drive and it is not really something I would recommend Securifi to do differently as it would require them to make changes to drives that are connected.

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 04:52:27 am »
It's possible to do on both FAT/FAT32 and NTFS drives as we have a Linux driver for both file systems.

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 05:14:47 am »
Well FAT does not even support permissions and ownership so if you do have implemented such function in the system, then you are saving such metadata somewhere else and not in the file system.

NTFS does support permissions on Linux but it is rarely implemented, here are details on how to do it:
http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-advanced/ownership-and-permissions/

Actually I now noticed now that you use ufsd, a closed source NTFS driver and not the open source driver, although i'm not entirely familiar with this driver, it looks according to the FAQ that it does not support mapping linux users to ntfs windows users.
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-linux-professional/faq.html#43

On a side note, I suppose you have a license for this as it is only allowed to be used for personal use. ;-)

Usually on Linux you set permissions when mounting a file system that does not support native Linux permissions.

This is getting a bit off topic and perhaps should have it's own thread?

LGNilsson

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 11:14:25 am »
Right, ok, maybe I got it slightly wrong, I'm not a Linux expert, but I try my best  ;)

That said, yes we do have a license for the supplied NTFS driver.

Offline yeehaw

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 06:10:53 am »
This makes sense, but is not related to the original topic.
FTP and Samba are not the same protocol, and is also not related to the issue with wrong available storage being reported to Mac and Linux clients.

You got a permission error, so I suspect that you are using a native file system on your USB drive, such as ext3 since you could change the permissions and ownership using chmod/chown.
On a NTFS of FAT formatted drive this is not possible as far as I know.
Since Almond+ is based on a Linux kernel, permissions will be whatever was on the drive and it is not really something I would recommend Securifi to do differently as it would require them to make changes to drives that are connected.

Absolutely it is different I wanted to give a workaround until Samba is fixed.  Yes I am using Ext3.  Thanks for the insight.

Offline Kazy

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 12:45:02 pm »
Did this get fixed in the latest version update? I'm trying to add a mapped network drive to a 4TB usb drive, but it I can't get it to show me the drive size in Windows 8. :(

Offline robh5791

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 01:57:26 pm »
Kazy,
That may be a problem with the drive because most people have not had a problem with Windows accessing the drives, only Mac and Ubuntu. I know I can read and write from my Windows 7 desktop but cannot write from either Mac I have.

LGNilsson

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 01:34:50 am »
I don't think we support drives over 3TB at the moment as the Samba version is quite old. We'll be updating it in the next couple of months though.

Offline Oendaril

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 09:34:13 pm »
Well, I do have a 9 tb NAS connected to the usb port successfully on the almond+ right now (although it only has 1tb used) so I think it's at least capable of a decent amount of space. I am also seeing the 0 bytes free issue in windows, but receive no errors when I attempt to write to it.

I'm seeing some quirkiness with the hard drive addressing but will need to test it a bit more, but it seems like my mounted name is shifting between usb1_2 and usb2_2 despite never changing ports.

LGNilsson

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 12:55:20 am »
Well, as I mentioned, we're going to get Samba updated, it'll just take a little bit of time to make it all work as it's a bit quirky to update Samba due to a lot of dependencies with OpenWRT.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck