bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Guest Wi-Fi network issue  (Read 5750 times)

Offline marcosgomez427

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Guest Wi-Fi network issue
« on: August 20, 2014, 05:34:52 am »
I have the new Almond+ and I have it set up as follows:

-bayside: 2.4 GHz primary network.

-bayside-5g: 5 GHz primary network.

-bayside-guest: 2.4 GHz guest network.

-5 GHz guest network disabled.

-"Enable Wireless Client Isolation" not checked on either the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands.

-Both the touchscreen and web browser interfaces say no updated firmware is available, and I am running version AP2-R064-L009-W015-ZW015-ZB005.

Here's where I want to get:

Wired clients: Can communicate with wired clients, clients connected to the "bayside" and "bayside-5g" SSID's, and the internet. Cannot communicate with clients connected to "bayside-guest" SSID.

bayside: Can communicate with wired clients, clients connected to the "bayside" and "bayside-5g" SSID's, and the internet. Cannot communicate with clients connected to "bayside-guest" SSID.

bayside-5g: Can communicate with wired clients, clients connected to the "bayside" and "bayside-5g" SSID's, and the internet. Cannot communicate with clients connected to "bayside-guest" SSID.

bayside-guest: Can communicate with clients connected to "bayside-guest" SSID and the internet. Cannot communicate with wired clients or clients connected to the "bayside" and "bayside-5g" SSID's.

With my current configuration clients connected to the "bayside-guest" SSID cannot communicate with a client connected to the first ethernet port (as they shouldn't), but the issue I'm having is they can communicate with clients connected to both the "bayside" and "bayside-5g" SSID's. If I try to fix this by checking "Enable Wireless client Isolation" on the 2.4 GHz band, then clients connected to both the "bayside" and "bayside-guest" SSID's are restricted to internet access only, which is not what I want either.

My other router is a 5-year-old Netgear WNDR3700 v.1, and I believe it handles this perfectly. It has four "Enable Wireless Client Isolation" checkboxes, one for the primary and one for the guest SSID on the 2.4 GHz band, and one for the primary and one for the guest SSID on the 5 GHz band. Checking this box restricts clients that are connected to that particular SSID to internet access only. They cannot communicate with clients connected to other SSID's or wired clients, nor can they communicate with other clients on the same SSID. The Almond+ only has one of these checkboxes for each band, so you cannot set the behavior of the primary and guest SSID's on the same band independently of each other as you can on the Linksys.

Additionally, the Linksys has a checkbox in the configuration of each band's guest SSID labeled "Allow guests to access My Local Network", that when left unchecked along with leaving "Enable Wireless client Isolation" unchecked restricts clients connected to that guest SSID to only communicate with other clients connected to the same guest SSID and the internet. This is exactly what I want.

So I think you see where I'm trying to get. Let me know if I can supply any further clarification, or if the Almond+ already has this feature and I'm simply missing it. Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:12:32 pm by marcosgomez427 »

Offline marcosgomez427

• Backer
Re: Guest Wi-Fi network issue
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 05:42:17 am »
Also it looks like I was mistaken and you can only check for new firmware versions in an automated fashion from the touchscreen and not from the browser interface. My touchscreen interface still says I'm running the latest, but I see in another thread someone says he's running R065 while I'm running R064. Can you point me to where to download this, so I can see if this will address my issue? I looked on your support site, but I couldn't find it. Thanks.

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 05:51:27 am »
The LCD UI option for updating the firmware isn't enabled yet.
Hence why there's a thing at the top of the first page of the forum stating that we've released firmware R065 and asking you to download it.
You can find the instructions here - http://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,1396.0.html for how to download and update your firmware.

It would seem like we still have some issues with the Guest network though, but please try the new firmware and if it doesn't help, I'll report this to the software team and we'll get it fixed.

Offline marcosgomez427

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 06:02:57 am »
Lars,

Thanks. I won't be able to try this for a couple of days, but when I do I'll report back with my findings.

Offline marcosgomez427

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 10:43:34 pm »
Lars,

I upgraded to the R065 firmware you referred me to and did not touch the settings on Almond+. Here's where things stand now:

Wired clients: Can communicate with wired clients, clients connected to the "bayside" and "bayside-5g" SSID's, and the internet. Cannot communicate with clients connected to "bayside-guest" SSID.

bayside: Can communicate with wired clients, clients connected to the "bayside" and "bayside-5g" SSID's, and the internet. Cannot communicate with clients connected to "bayside-guest" SSID.

bayside-5g: Can communicate with wired clients, clients connected to the "bayside" and "bayside-5g" SSID's, and the internet. Cannot communicate with clients connected to "bayside-guest" SSID.

bayside-guest: Can communicate with the internet. CANNOT COMMUNICATE WITH CLIENTS CONNECTED TO THE "BAYSIDE-GUEST" SSID, wired clients or clients connected to the "bayside" and "bayside-5g" SSID's.

So now I'm closer to where I want to get since clients connected to a guest SSID cannot communicate with clients wired in or connected to the two primary SSID's, but I still need a way for clients connected to a guest SSID to communicate with other clients connected to the same guest SSID. Please see my original post for where I'm trying to get.

A way to accomplish this would be to have an "Enable Wireless Client Isolation" option for each SSID, for a total of four, instead of the two there currently are, one for each band that are shared by the two SSID's on that band. This way users could choose if they want to allow clients connected to a guest SSID to communicate with each other without affecting clients connected to the primary SSID on that band. This is a more flexible solution and is the way the Linksys router I also own handles this.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck