bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: slow speed in "range extender" mode after upgrading internet spped tier  (Read 3971 times)

Offline dalastone

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
I've been using my Almond as an extender for over a year with no problems. However after upgrading my internet service speed plan, the Almond no longer goes at the full speed.  on my old 5/1meg speeds its always gone 5.4 and 1.1mbs. However after getting a 50mbs plan, the almond only goes to 8down/8-9up.  is there a setting I am missing or is this a "limit" of extender mode??

LGNilsson

Re: slow speed in "range extender" mode after upgrading internet spped tier
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 03:53:04 am »
Well, no, there's no setting, it most likely comes down to a combination of things.
First of all, 802.11n Wi-Fi is limited to about 30-35Mbps when using a single channel which is what is done when the Almond is in range extender mode, as one channel talks to the main router and the other sends the signal on to whatever devices you have connected.
Secondly, the speed will be very dependent on the distance between the range extender and the main router/access point, just like any other Wi-Fi device. It'll also depend on what's in between (metal, concrete etc.) and even the orientation of the Almond will matter to a degree to the signal. As such, you might want to move it around a bit and see where you can achieve better signal.
Wi-Fi isn't an exact "science" and I'm suffering from the same "problem" in my home as it's a lot of metal and concrete in the floors and walls which not only reduces the range, but also the speed. I found that I had to move my Almond that's set up as a range extender around a bit until I found a spot with good signal. Even so, I'm seeing around 10-14Mbps and I consider this pretty good, especially as my previous range extender would deliver 1-2Mbps at the same spot and it had rather large external antennas.

Offline dalastone

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: slow speed in "range extender" mode after upgrading internet spped tier
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:38:10 am »
ah ok. thanks for the reply! I will try and re-orient things first a see if there is a change.  I just found it strange that I was getting full speeds with my 5mbs internet.  then right after I upgraded to the higher 50 meg plan I was only getting 14 at the highest. nothing else changed so I thought maybe there was a setting I missed. (my laptop several feet away from the almond, connected wirelessly to the modem/gateway gets a solid 42m down).
thanks again for the reply! much appreciated. 

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck