bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Device to Device association  (Read 6907 times)

Offline bwainscott

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Device to Device association
« on: August 22, 2014, 01:54:30 pm »
I'm trying to put together a 3 way switch setup using a dimmer from Linear and the corresponding "3-way" switch.  The description for the 3-way switch says it can be associated with the dimmer to control it.  So after I got it, reading the manual indicates that this association has to be done through the z-wave gateway (I naively thought it would be direct switch to switch).

So, is it (yet) possible to associate these two switches to set up a normal 3-way switch situation?  I have a LOT of 3-way switches in my house and want to set up several on the z-wave network.

Offline chevyman142000

• Backer
Re: Device to Device association
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 03:59:27 pm »
I don't think that is available. I ran into the same issue with SmartThings. I ended up purchasing an AeonLabs minimote off of eBay that does the association for you.

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 06:34:56 am »
Can you please provide some more details as to how this is supposed to work, as I'm afraid I'm far from an expert on light switches.
We should be able to make it happen once the automation is in place, but I really need a clear picture of how it's meant to work so I can explain it to the software team.

Offline bwainscott

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 05:20:58 pm »
Lars,

I don't know much myself -- like I said, I expected the two switches to be able to associate directly with each other, but seems they need a controller for that.  I THINK that once associated, they talk directly to each other, but don't know for sure.  Here is the info from the Linear WT00Z "Z-Wave 3-Way Wall Accessory Switch", direct from the papers in the box:

"Associating Z-Wave devices to control from the WT00Z-1
  Refer to your controllers instructions to find out how to associate Z-Wave devices.  You can associate another Z-Wave device into any or all of the 4 available groups in the WT00Z-1."

It then goes on to describe how to turn on/off or dim all the devices in each group (group1: the switch acts just like their normal dimmer - tap the top to turn it on, tap the bottom to turn it off, press and hold the top to make brighter, press and hold bottom to make dimmer.  group2: like group1 but one extra tap first.  group3: like group 2 but TWO extra taps, etc).

So sounds like the controller should be able to figure out that the switch has several groups, then somehow add various devices to each group.

You now know everything I know...

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 10:31:24 pm »
Ok, it seems to require grouping which we won't be able to do until the automation part is done.
I'll check with the software team to make sure this is part of what they're working on.

Offline Oendaril

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 10:49:02 pm »
Since you already have 3-way switches, you should already have traveler wires in the gang box and don't necessarily need the WT100Z as it's intention is to use it where there is power but no 3-way wiring.  GE has a 3 way switch that works well, and doesn't require you to do group associations / scene controller type stuff to get it to work.

Offline wstocker

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 09:22:37 am »
I have a bunch of GE 45614 that work great as 3-way switches and have the basic features working well with the Almond+.  I also have a weird situation that I am hoping can be fixed when triggers/rules are introduced.  I have two lights in a small room that each have their own GE 45612 today.  I want that when one has its state changed (local or remote) the other should follow to match.

Offline asarhang

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 01:00:00 pm »
Any Update on this?

Offline wstocker

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 05:56:08 am »
Also looking for an update on Groups or Scenes?

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 18 queries.

bottleneck