Choose style:

Author Topic: Does the Almond need a UPS  (Read 27632 times)

Offline pete

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Does the Almond need a UPS
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 01:15:34 pm »
How is HAI?

I've used HAI since the early 2000's for my combo security and automation panel.  I have no complaints.

Today HAI is owned by Leviton

Yup; Creston and Control4 are proprietary and said only installed and supported by same said dealers.

HAI started doing automation stuff / security stuff in the 1980's.  In the 1990's there was more of an emphasis on security with added automation to their panels. 

The Elk panel which is similiar to the HAI panel started mostly relating to security/alarm stuff; Moose; thinking in the 80's-90's.

While today using an HAI panel I also utilize software called Homeseer. 

I do have some 20-30 analog to digital devices plugged in to it doing all sorts of stuff; automation stuff (but not scheduling lights and so forth). 

I do not consider base lighting control, HVAC, lawn sprinkling stuff automation these days but rather just maintenance of the heartbeat of the home if that makes sense?

Today we now have means of low cost automation and security and we are now going into that whole DIY of security and automation.

There are though many not wanting to install switches and thermostats these days and would prefer to purchase automation / security by the month which is also happening. 

Most of this though relating to being able to remote control a home via the cell phone widgets or managing the home via cloud based software.

Yup here started with X10 automation in the late 1970's and did remote via telephone a home a few thousand miles away from Chicago.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:04:23 pm by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline Pestus

• Chestnut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 10:14:46 pm »
Impressive.  Later in life when I have a larger home, I'll probably have a set up like that.

As it stands, I own a small condo.  Livable enough, with a few conveniences I find interesting.  Lighting, HVAC, Sound, Locks, Cameras, Alarm, and TV tied together using Micasaverde.  It's not at all anywhere near HAI in terms of design standards, but it's good enough and is actually affordable.  I have each of these systems reacting to one another as suits us.  The other interesting thing is that the open community is fantastically active.  People writing plugins for every possible thing.  I'm hoping to see this community thrive in a similar way!

Thanks for the suggestions regarding power.  I'll probably end up using the custom power arrangement.  It seems very well suited to simple extensions in a wall.

LGNilsson

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 12:09:50 am »
I was way off, the power connector for the Almond+ is 5.5mm in diameter and 12.5mm in length.

Offline pete

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 10:28:48 am »
I never looked at the Almond power connector.  It looks to be the 2.X mm size plug.  5.5 mm diameter plug is huge. 

Can't be that big eh Lars?
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline pete

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 10:38:53 am »
Pestus,

In the 1970's I was renting a 4 bedroom home while I was in school.  I didn't live in the house some 30% of the time; going home during school breaks.  I had read about the X10 stuff and decided to give it a try.  Back then also used this Heathkit box which had a "status" reporting voice and I could turn things on and off remotely with it.

It was very low on the WAF when I started to take things apart in the house we were renting.  Tinkering offered me a break from studying.

But always "tinkered". 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:47:34 am by pete »
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

LGNilsson

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 11:11:21 am »
I never looked at the Almond power connector.  It looks to be the 2.X mm size plug.  5.5 mm diameter plug is huge. 

Can't be that big eh Lars?

Yes, the Almond is 5.5mm in diameter too, but it's not as long and of course only 5V.

Offline pete

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 04:41:39 pm »
Yup that's it.  Its the outer versus the inner diameter of the barrel connector.  That is where I was confused.  Apologies Lars.

Black SPT-1 zip cord. 18 ga. Molded strain relief on one end. Molded coax power plug, 2.1mm id x 5.5mm o.d. x 10mm long.
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2014, 04:25:49 am »
So how would one do this easiest?

Charger connected in parallel to batteries that are connected to the Almond+? (Online UPS)
But a good charger turns off or change to trickle charge when the batteries are full, so it might not detect it if the almond is also drawing power so it will either continuously charge the batteries (not that good) or turn off and the battery will start draining (Better but still not good).
An ideal solution would be that the batteries are offline and trickle charged, and in case of power fail they take over, but that would mean more advanced circuitry, or in case of this low draw it could probably be done rather easy and then use a capacitor to provide power during the failover.

Anyone have a good diagram of a breadboard circuit one could build for this for example for using LiPo or standard GP ReCyko batteries?

Offline pete

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 01:26:20 pm »
For those into tinkering I think it'll be easy. 

That said there will probably be an off the shelf product coming soon for those not into the tinkering thing.

Personally a side hobby here has been carpc's since the late 1990's. 

That said though I did have a remote control starter for my new 1983 S-10 Blazer.  It was mostly mechanical with a remote the size of a small walkie talkie.

One of my early issues using a Via Epia Motherboard was power such that I ran the CarPC off a battery on a tank circuit.  Today the two carpc's are running on little Intel Atom computers that draw little power.  I've tapped into the bus of the two automobiles and can remote stuff easily.  IE: starting the vehicle, turning lights on or off, opening and closing windows type stuff and much more.

What is really neat these days is that the newest picoPSU's have built in battery charging circuits.

But its really still a bit too big. (in a relative sense cuz its small anyways).

Just a few days ago on another forum someone mentioned this little circuit board which is smaller than the above board.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/05/mopi_smart_battery_power_for_raspberry_pi/

It wouldn't be too difficult to make a little box with batteries and a charging circuit for the Almond + for that DIYer person.

For that tinkering person you can just purchase a tiny POE board to supply voltage to the Almond +.  The boards keep getting smaller.  This one is only $13 USD.  Personally I would like to see one the size of two Ethernet ports (guessing that they do exist today)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:00:25 pm by pete »
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 03:18:15 am »
Hi Pete,

Awesome!

The picoUPS is probably the easier way, with the downside of being for Lead Acid Batteries. They are usually bulky, but can provide plenty of power.
The size of the picoUPS is less relevant as you could have it together with the battery that is already quite bulky and then only have the power cable to the Almond+.

The other one, MoPi is apparently a Kickstarter project, and in it self very interesting, I think I will pledge for that one although it is only 5V so will not be enough for the Almond+ but could be fun for other projects.

For me i think the POE is probably the best solution since I already have a UPS in my home I could run the ethernet cable to the Almond+ since the Ethernet is needed there anyway.

Offline pete

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 04:13:03 pm »
For me i think the POE is probably the best solution

Same here. 

Much of the cat5e I put in some 10 years ago using a simple LED RF-45 checker.  I did get one of those network checkers that tells about the pairs and distance of cable.  I found a few errors in my first runs while switching over to POE.  The tool worked great.  It was very reasonably priced.  My issue here is distinguishing the colors on the either the patch panel side or the wall plate side and not utilizing enough light when punching down the cables.

This was the original one.  I mean it shows the the wiring pairs OK but not much else.

The updated tester looks like this:

Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline h3lix

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2014, 06:18:17 pm »
If the almond has the same 12V connector as every other computer device out there, the Belkin UPS used for Uverse gateways will work great. I have probably 7 or so powering my cable modem, ethernet switch, couple wireless points, NAS devices, and even a computer monitor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belkin-Rg-Ups-For-At-T-Uverse-Installation-/151327481760?pt=US_Uninterruptible_Power_Supplies&hash=item233bd21fa0

A whole lot of these are going for $1 each on eBay. Batteries are cheap, too, and keep my routers up and running for a few hours. (MUCH better than an AC UPS!)

Will post as soon as I get my Almond+ to know if the plug fits.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck