Choose style:

Author Topic: Can't connect to ISP (Comcast)  (Read 7509 times)

Offline GARGANCHUAN

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Can't connect to ISP (Comcast)
« on: August 23, 2014, 06:52:09 pm »
A few hours ago, my connection to the Internet was lost. I suspected it was just Comcast, but when I connected my old Linksys, everything was back up and running. These are the troubleshooting steps I took:

• Resetted Almond+
  • Factory resetted Almond+
  • Upgraded firmware to R065
  • Overwrote the MAC address of Almond+ in case it was banned for some reason.

Needless to say, none of these worked. The router was working fine this morning and no settings were changed until after I lost connection. I'm all out of ideas. I'm hoping that someone here might have any new ones to try out. Thanks in advance.

Offline tt4me

• Backer
Re: Can't connect to ISP (Comcast)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 07:19:12 pm »
I'm on Comcast as well, but haven't experienced those issues.  The only other thing that I did in the process was that I unplugged both the Almond+ and the modem, then made my various connections, then plugged in the modem and gave it a few minutes to boot before, finally, plugged in the Almond+ and allowing it to boot.

Amritendu

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 07:20:04 pm »
Pretty unusual to get disconnected like this. Were you able to verify if the WAN port was connected fine? (STATUS>NETWORK>WAN PORT). Should have a green check on the WAN port icon. Considering the WAN/LAN ports on the Almond+ are little deeper than other routers, its essential that the ethernet cable should fit in with 2 clicks or it might result in a loose connection!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:30:55 pm by Amritendu »

Offline GARGANCHUAN

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 07:30:33 pm »
Yes, I checked all the ports and have tried resetting both the modem and router.

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 10:43:49 pm »
What modem are you using?

Offline GARGANCHUAN

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 11:58:58 pm »
I'm using a Motorola Surfboard SB6121. It says that it connects to the modem fine, but for some reason, it can't access the Internet. Everything was working well for about 4 days before this afternoon.

Offline RhinoMcD

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 06:37:42 am »
I'm having similar issues to this with Charter.
The only way I seemed to have fixed the issue is through extended panic-induced power-cycling sessions and useless calls to Charter to see if anything was up on their side.

Worst part is: this happens after EVERY reset of the router(i.e. a setting is changed and it resets through the WebUI or SSH access)

Might be user error on my part, however I don't think internet access should break after fixing the bug mentioned here http://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,1443.0.html

Powercycling seemed to fix it though. Took me a few attempts but ended up working after about an hour of panic.

Offline pete

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 01:13:01 pm »
Yup; here have Comcast with a Motorola SB-6141.

I am currently utilizing a PFSense firewall with multiple WAN / LAN network interfaces to provide me with a test Almond + to WAN internet connection.

Testing here I changed the MAC address on the connection from the firewall to the Motorola SB-6141.

I also tested the Almond + in a similiar manner.

Rebooted the firewall and lost my connection to Comcast.  I then reset the Motorola SB-6141 from the web interface and followed that up by a disable and enable of the WAN interface.  It worked afterwards.

Recently testing as above my default home page went to the Comcast registration page where I had to enter my account information to connect to the internet.  I have never had to do that before.

The Motorola SB-6141/ISP service is a bit sticky to the MAC address of whatever is connected to the WAN port on the modem.  Another issue too is that the auto negotiation sometimes doesn't work quit right on the Motorola Modem.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:16:39 pm by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline joltdude

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 08:10:18 pm »
A few hours ago, my connection to the Internet was lost. I suspected it was just Comcast, but when I connected my old Linksys, everything was back up and running. These are the troubleshooting steps I took:

• Resetted Almond+
  • Factory resetted Almond+
  • Upgraded firmware to R065
  • Overwrote the MAC address of Almond+ in case it was banned for some reason.
Needless to say, none of these worked. The router was working fine this morning and no settings were changed until after I lost connection. I'm all out of ideas. I'm hoping that someone here might have any new ones to try out. Thanks in advance.

The problem is Comcast does not want to release your DHCP reservation .... Basically it sees your previous devices mac address and IP lease and doesnt want to allot you another one until 1. it expires or 2. you release it..

You can clone the MAC address using your old routers MAC, then power cycle the modem AND the new router...  and very likely you will get connected
Otherwise you can unplug your modem for a HALF HOUR or more... (half hour seems to work).. not clone the address and then turn on your modem, and your new router and you'll likely get a connection...

This is partially whats being discussed in
http://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,1562.0.html

Overwriting the MAC address with anything OTHER than your previous routers MAC... WILL NOT WORK.... and event then, sometimes the modem wants a reboot if you clone the mac address from the old router...

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:12:14 pm by joltdude »

Offline gomeznick

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 03:07:27 pm »
Has this issue been resolved? I too have a Surfboard6121 that is not connecting properly.  I had signal for a brief time and then it somehow disappeared.  Have yet to get it back.  I've been using the Almond+ as an extender in the mean time.  I really would like to have it set as the primary router.  The weird thing is the modem knows something is connected - it just won't give it an IP address. Tried everything you have done. Cloning MAC, resetting, can't figure it out. 

LGNilsson

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 12:12:38 am »
We're working on it and we'll hopefully have a fix in the next firmware release which should be out next week.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.

bottleneck